Star Wars Transformers - Any good?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by aledromo, Sep 23, 2010.

1. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i heard the Palpatine/Imp. Shuttle was being released and drooled.
    saw the pictures, watched a video review and wept.

even if ever got the Darth Vader/Death Star, it would sit next to my Unicron and Primus as another part of "the Cybertron galaxy".

i just don't care for them at all.
    buy either the Power of the Force MF, or the BMF, but not the SWTF.

2. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

the storm/clone troopers are nice, and the droids are pretty cool, along with yoda. but the rest are not so great. :lol 

3. The_Black_Sheep

The_Black_Sheep Willyna...

News Credits:
    Years ago I picked up this one (the paintjob sucked me in) & after 6 months or so, I decided to sell it off (no great loss). Nowadays I'll occasionally have a glance at a SWTF in store but they just don't make me wanna buy them. Even that Death Star Vader doesn't do anything for me. I've heard SWTFs make good customs though...

4. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I only have the Death Star Vader and the Millennium Falcon Han+Chewy. Those two are VERY cool, but I think my fascination stops there.

5. aledromo

aledromo Decepticon at the Gate

Thanks, team. This is about what I expected, but there's some nice insight here.

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I doubt he does.

My Chewie is fine, and a fantastic thing the Falcon is, and I've heard no widespread reports of GPS on Chewie, so I think it's safe to say yours just happened to break in package.

7. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Darth Vader Star, Han and Chewie Falcon, Cody Tank...those seem to be the best.

8. jerryitus

jerryitus Transformer vacuum

I don't know if they are any good b/c i've never bought one, but if you do want some they have a ton at Marshalls these days on clearance.

9. Blot

Blot The most disgusting of all Transformers.

News Credits:
    My Chewie also broke at the knee from what seemed like GPS. I returned it and didn't get another.

I love the Vader Death Star. I also have the Vader TIE Advanced which is pretty good. I got a Grievous/Magnaguard valuepack on sale and both of those are decent. I also picked up Yoda lately and he too is pretty good. Finally, I had a Boba Fett that fell apart out of the package that I returned.

That's my experience FWIW.

10. TimToyGeek

TimToyGeek Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think I have nearly all of the SWTF molds at least once, I missed out on the TIE Bomber, but they are definitely hit or miss. Some of them are pretty darn good, nearly very good, but the bad ones are awful.

The good ones:
    General Grievous starship - an elegant ship, good robot mode, two light sabers that store well in ship mode.
    Y Wing Fighter - I got the one that's the Clone Pilot, it's better than the Anakin one in my opinion. Robot mode has some nice hidden pistol accessories.
    Magnaguard Fighter - as mentioned, very nice. Two big rifles, a unique staff accessory that turns into four gun barrels in fighter mode. A bit partsformery, but not bad.
    Sith Infiltrator/Darth Maul - standard transformation, but good in both modes.
    Turbo Tank - This one's pretty good, in general the clone figures are decent.
    Freeco Speeder - Recently out, good in both modes
    Yoda/Shuttle - Not bad at all, good besides just novelty. He can store his light saber on the shuttle side, though it's not in the instructions
    Darth/Death Star - really good, one of the hardest transformations I've ever encountered, but rewarding. Looks great with Primus and Unicron.
    MF/Han and Chewie - I do like this one, though it's blocky and partsformery. I had no GPS issues with Chewie.
    Battle Droid/Tank - this one's pretty good too. Solid in both modes.

Sure, they don't rate as good as, say, the best of the in-line TFs, but for what they are, they're pretty good. I have the GG fighter, Magnaguard and Y-Wing as part of my semi-permanent crossover squad.

Then there are the bad ones - most of the rest. I can see the disdain for the line because of the bad ones. Like Boba Fett. I've given away a lot of my bad ones, which works out good since kids love 'em.

Tim
    "toy geek"

11. Dran0n

Dran0n miss me w/ that

News Credits:
    They vehicle modes rock, really awesome and accurate.

They robot modes kinda .... suck. The giant Darth Vader Death Star is okay, and so is the Turbo Tank/Commander Cody.

Other than that, they pretty much suck.

12. Max Tower

Max Tower Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I thought i'd bump one of these threads to share a horrifying observation about these toys - I don't know if anyone has ever had the problem with something like G1 Siren or Overlord or some of the Actionmasters (even G2 Jazz) but it looks like Star wars Transformers suffer from the random colour change in the plastic (llike regardless of if they are exposed to sun or not).

I had one of my Darth Vader X1 Tie fighters go randomly odd colours some panels are still normal colours other are that mucky blue colour that light damaged plastic goes - but i'd never had him in the light - I just unboxed some older toys all of them were fine except some of the Star wars Transformers where random pannels had gone brown - my Luke Skywalker X-wing had gone completly yellow aside from one engine cover the wing launchers and the whole nose of the fighter. I don't know if they didn't like being stored in plastic or with no air around them or what but I thought i'd give people a head up that if they have any in storage they might want to check them.

I just hope it's not a line wide problem - I'm terrified to look at the rarer ones now I'd be heart broken if it's happened to one i really like such as the V-wing or Torrent fighter. I was rather disapointed when I notice a couple of months back the same thing had happened to my G1 Siren too and he was no wear near any light either.

13. LeTigre

LeTigre Meat popsicle

Mostly they are terrible. Even the good one's aren't great: my favorite was the Magnaguard, but the mess of pin joints are bothersome, transformation is clumsy and the partsforming had me uncharacteristically losing parts at points. The cat ran off with his weapon!

14. LSyd

LSyd Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    my wife bought me the Anakin/Vader/Star destroyers quad changer; despite the parts forming IMO he's a big bot of fun. Anakin has a Hot Rod/Hot Shot vibe , and for a long time Vader was repurposed as Liege Maximo on my shelf.

-