Star Wars Transformers - Any good?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by aledromo, Sep 23, 2010.

1. aledromo

aledromo Decepticon at the Gate

I've always wanted a Millenium Falcon, but as it turns out the best looking one available at a reasonable price right now seems to be a Transformer (a combiner, no less). I see a whole bunch of Star Wars themed TFs, and I wonder if any of you have dipped into this. Are they any good, or just cheap Lucas cash-ins?

2. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I picked up a few of the first-run SWTFs and was pretty disappointed. The later ones, including the turbo tank, are actually pretty well done, but it's still hit and miss. There have gotta be some folks on here that can give you a more detailed opinion than me, but if you decide to nab any of them, I totally suggest grabbing the turbo tank first.

3. PORTER

PORTER energon is just mtn dew

Well there is a model of the falcon around somewhere.toysrus i think

I think the huge new one is affordable given its size,detail and amount of features.

but if you want the transforming one go ahead.imo i would save for the big one

4. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    Generally no but there are some acceptable ones. The ones to look out for are the Delta 7 Jedi Starfighter (with the hyperdrive ring), Commander Cody tank, and the Magna Guard/Magna guard starfighter.

5. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

I don't collect them, but at one point I considered starting, but not to transform them. I think the vehicles are really accurate looking, and I like the size much more than the giant vehicles. Even though the giant vehicles are cool and all, they're too big.

6. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    It really is hit or miss. Funny enough, a lot of people don't like the Millennium Falcon one, but I like it the most. I really enjoyed a lot of the original figures released because of the small figures that came with them. If you like the vehicle/representation, then it's for you. But I stopped after the Darth Vader/Death Star release.

7. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    My son has a few. I really don't like them. Compared to any regular Transformers they seem dumbed down and generic. I may still pick up Yoda however.

8. Matt_M

Matt_M Snarkabot

News Credits:
    It's hit or miss. Many of them have poor proportions or otherwise awkward bot modes (Hello Boba Fett) but they are generally very faithful in vehicle mode.

Personally I like them, but I don't go out of my way to collect them like I do the main TF lines. I'd say just get the handful you like the best. Personally I couldn't resist the Luke/X-Wing.

9. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    The first set are awful. But they've gotten better over the years. I still pick some up on impulse. I actually really like the Magnaguard Fighter. The Turbo Tank is pretty good too. All that said they aren't designed by the TF team so some of the articulation and transformation joints and really akward and wonky. Nowhere near the level of the "real" TFs. All the vehicle modes are really well done so if you ike Star Wars vehicles you may be more interested than if you didn't. Hit and Miss sums the line up nicely. If you have the extra cash (I definitely don't think ANY of them are worth retail price) then you should pick one up and see what you think.

***Edit: Be careful if you do get into them nd decide to get the Millenium Falcon. Chewbacca suffers from GPS.***

10. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Star Wars Transformers are scattered on many points on a wide spectrum when it comes to quality. Some are excellent, like the Vader Death Star and the Magnaguard Fighter, while some are downright horrible. I personally love them for their novelty.

HOWEVER, I do not recommend you buy the Millenium Falcon. A good concept, good sculpt and paint details, and the electronics are fantastic but Chewbacca has Gold Plastic Syndrome. My Chewie broke on me out of the package at the knee. I quickly returned it, as Han would be useless without the Chewie-half of the Falcon. It's quite a shame because I think as Transformers they are pretty good.

11. Autoclot

Autoclot Well-Known Member

Of the five I have, the only one I really don't like is Boba Fett. His Slave-I mode is great, but the Fett mode is absolutely dire. I leave him as Slave-I with the rest of my Fett / SW stuff, rather than with my other SWTFs (although they're only one shelf up :) ).

As others have said, the Cody / Turbo Tank is great, and I also really like the Clone Trooper / AT-TE.

Darth Vader / Death Star looks suitably imposing, but is fiddly to transform due to the panels.

[​IMG]

12. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    If you are getting them for the vehicle mode SWTFs are pretty good. I don't own MF so I can't say how stable they are though...actually I wouldn't mind that one myself....

Mecha modes are pretty underwhelming as mentioned by others. Death Star/Vader, Turbo Tank/Cody and AT-TE/Rex are generally considered good. I like Sith Infiltrator/Darth Maul as well.
    If you are only after Original Trilogy based SWTFs, I think TIE Bomber/Pilot looks pretty cool, too. (AVOID Slave-1, and this is from someone who collects Boba Fett stuff.)

The good thing about earlier release SWTFs is that they came with small pilot figures. Man I miss them.

13. Whovian Zorker

Whovian Zorker Well-Known Member

Darth Vader/Death Star is a big fiddly, but doable. And huge.

I don't mind Boba Fett's barrel chest; I just wish that in vehicle mode that the collar behind the cockpit would stay pegged together.

Darth Vader/Tie Fighter is a lose. (Too much of the mech mode colors appear around the cockpit in vehicle mode; he can't really move that shield around well, and the cape doesn't really work.)

Obi-Wan/AOTC Fighter w/Hyperdrive Ring: I think this works really well, but getting the arms back in place for vehicle mode can be fiddly.

Obi-Wan/ROTS Starfighter and Anakin/ROTS Starfighter: I wish I had bought the rest of the repaints. I just really like this ship, and I don't mind the huge wings hanging down as a cape.

As far as a Millennium Falcon goes, BBTS has a pre-owned, sealed Official Starships & Vehicles Collection #001 Millennium Falcon & Magazine for $10. (This series is supposed to be pretty darn accurate.) Evilbay has vintage, micro machine, Titanium, etc., etc. etc., some for under $20. Granted, these aren't as large as the TF version. But your post didn't mention size.

14. Tacitron

Tacitron An exceptional nut sack

Ebay:
    I watched peaugh's review of a couple and they looked pretty terrible. I've seen pics of a yoda that looked okay. Mostly I refuse to get into them because I already buy too many damn transformers as it is. If I start with Star Wars next thing I know I'll get sucked into RPMs or even bumper battlers.

15. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    I've always found them to be crap. Just my opinion.

16. Rhapsody_Prime

Rhapsody_Prime ...such Heroic Nonsence.

I would rather spend my money on My Little Ponies.

But I'm not into the whole crossover thing either, so I suppose that my opinion is slightly askew.

Plus I love pastel hard plastic, non-posable horses with frilly images printed on their backsides. Everybody knows that!!

End of Line

17. xanthax

xanthax choppaface

News Credits:
    Lots of bad ones and just a handful of good ones. The old Darth Maul one is by far my favorite.

18. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yoda and the Darth Star are the only ones worth picking up IMO.

If you are looking for a MF, I suggest getting the legacy version (BMF).

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  19. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    As most people have said before, they are hit or miss. I get them because I like their vehicle modes and they are really well done. The mech modes however run the gamut from pretty good to awful. Most are mediocre. The Millennium Falcon was regarded as the best figure in the entire line when it was released but with newer and better figures out there and Chewie's GPS*, which has just shown up pretty recently, the MF has fallen out of favor.

20. AMG

AMG Old School

I have a few of them. I feel they're well worth the money for their alt modes alone, they display beautifully in a Star Wars collection.