Star Wars: The Force Unleashed

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by knook, Jul 6, 2008.

1. knook

knook Let the Virus Consume You

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  2. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

I'm hoping it won't be a huge disappointment. LucasArts doesn't exactly have the best track record post-1998 or so.

I am looking forward to it though. My main problem is that it comes out either the same week, or within a week or so of Spore.

3. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    I have my fingers crossed but they are putting so much behind it (toys, Apprentice in Soul Caliber, wasn't there going to be a comic too?) I hope they aren't going to pull a Howard the Duck.

4. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Being totally uninterested in Spore has it's upsides then. :D 

5. DevilzFan

Book, toys, comics, game, etc.

They did the same with Shadows of the Empire. Though only the book was good.

6. knook

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If nothing else then the game will be good for mindless destruction :D 

7. UltraDevmodious

UltraDevmodious Well-Known Member

i support lucas arts...i am a sw fanboy at heart...but everything i've played minus jedi knight outcast has really just been lame. i know it will look beautiful...i just hope the controls aren't clunky as can be...and that its not a crappy game.

i know the ai is one of a kind though...each individual thing in the game reacts to your actions and movements...will be super awesome to see first hand.

8. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Ditto with Devz. Looks interesting, but the golden age of Lucasarts ended when it became a marketing tool for the prequels and I could count the number of good games they've published since on one hand.

9. Brandon

Brandon This is important work.

Looks like it might be cool. Crossing fingers there is a demo though.

10. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    The thing that sucks is that there will be features specific to every system. Meaning there's no way to get the complete experience without buying at least 3 different versions of the game. As good as the game looks, that's kinda lame to me. Especially since even the PS2 will have exclusives to that game.

11. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    The only exclusives I've heard of so far are the extra levels and sword battles on the Wii version. Do you know of anything specific to the different consoles?

12. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

One thing fails me...This is before the OT. How come a guy who´s capable of PULLING CAPITAL SHIPS into the ground, ins´t heard off?

13. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    Cause he's secret.

14. DevilzFan

As CG said above me, he is Vader's SECRET apprentice.

I'm going to post a small spoiler about the first mission you undertake as the apprentice. If you don't want spoilers, skip the rest of this post.

Spoilers:

In the apprentice's first mission, Vader has you finding information or something in an Imperial TIE Facility. You have to get in and get that information, without anyone knowing about you. This ain't Splinter Cell, or MGS, Vader flat out tells you, don't leave anyone alive. Period. That means you're fighting Imperial Troops, and not leaving anyone alive to talk about you.

15. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Wii gets the dual mode (one-on-one fighting game with 27 playable characters). The Wii version is also getting 5 extra levels & Jedi Trials

PS2 gets same 5 extra levels as Wii as well as the Jedi Trials mode.

PSP gets 5 exclusive "Historical Battles" such as Vader vs. Luke on Bespin. Also get exclusive modes like Order 66 mode and a different dual mode than the Wii. Also gets the 5 extra levels not seen in the 360 or PS3 versions.

DS version is a completely different game, but that was expected.

The 360 and PS3 versions will be near identical. Their "special features" are the next gen graphics, and the crazy physics engine as well as a more detailed AI. Meaning there's nothing really "extra" in either of these versions.

16. knook

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm getting it for the 360 and maybe PSP

17. cagliostro

cagliostro Victi Vincimus

What about Knights of The Old Republic? Now back on topic The Force Unleashed looks interesting thou anything Star Wars related that has a trailer where a force user brings down a huge vehicle is a bit iffy to me (IMHO it smacks of Dark Empire witch was at best "meh"), however I will be geting it for the 360, as I'm kind of a Star Wars whore.

18. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    I guess you can spin it as the 360/PS3 is the game they meant to make while the PSP, PS2 and Wii where dumbed down and extra stuff had to be added to make those people happy. If they half assed those extras and just slapped them on they might not be worth having anyway.

19. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

One and a half great games don't make a good track record when they are buried in an acre of cack.

I love the original Dark Empire personally, especially the appendix notes that they keep leaving out of reprints thesedays.

The less said about Dark Empire 2 and Empires End the better thougth.

20. DevilzFan

I didn't say every game in the last 10 years has been garbage. I thoroughly enjoyed KOTOR, and even enjoyed KOTOR 2, despite it being released incomplete, bugged, and rushed. I'm also a big fan of the Battlefront games, as well as the Jedi Knight series.

But those small handful of good game games compared to the tons of shit games they produced doesn't give them a good track record.

The one Star Wars game I still play almost consistently though, is Rebellion. Definitely my all-time favorite Star Wars game. But that game has to be one of the most "love it or hate it" games out there :lol . You either think it's one of the best, or one of the worst. There seems to be no middle ground.