Star Wars TF's - your thoughts on possible fiction?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Prime Noble, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

So the last few years, we've been gettin TF Star Wars toys. To be honest it took me a while to warm to them, mainly because of the heads. I'm looking at you Jango, Boba and Darth. But as the line progressed, I've found myself buying some and really liking them. Like Darth Vader's Sith Fighter and Death Star and the various troopers.

But anyway, I'm digressing. I'm very surprised there's been no official fiction aside from the brief character profiles on the packaging. I also find several ideas/interpretations spring to mind. I'm just curious as to what other fans think and how they approach this lack of fiction.

I mean, do you just see them following a similar story line to the Star Wars films with the exception that they have accompanying Transformers?

Do you see the Transformers as having the SW characters personalities?

Are they just TF sparkless bodies that the Star Wars cast found or are they their own entities like most Transformers are considered to be?

Or are they Transformers that like G1 and Beast Wars, end up crashing in the Star Wars universe and interacting with SW guys?

Can they be considered part of another TF continuity like G1 or the movie? Or is it really an isolated continuity?

Rather than having the personalities of the Star Wars characters they resemble, are they in fact independant, new characters in their own right?

Is TF Palpatine power hungry like human Palpatine? Is he a willing subordinate or is he actually pulling the strings? For some reason, I see him as a BW Megatron type.

Are the clone troopers single such craft or are there legions of each?

Is the Darth Vader TF an upgrade of Anakin akin to Hot Rod/Rodimus Prime or do they encounter seperate TF's along the way.

Do the TF's scan both the pilot and the ship when they arrive?

Can TF's have an affinity for the force?

What do you guys think?

2. Optimus Clyde

Optimus Clyde Space Trucker

News Credits:
    I don't like what Hasbro has done with the Star Wars TFs, personally. I've always wanted to "fix" them. I absolutely hate the "Look, it's a giant robot version of [insert SW character here]" goofiness of it.

To me, the operative word is "Crossover". Perhaps trying to make a true crossover happen, story and all, would have been a logistical nightmare. Maybe Hasbro is just trying to cater to two geek passions at once...I don't know. But those vehicles should be TF characters...all of them. I think any story should be built around that concept. I haven't worked it all out myself, but just having the toys turn into TF characters...sans an explanation...is enough for me. If I weren't so lazy, I'd be buying them all up and modifying them right now.

But if a story were told, I think a re-telling of the Star Wars story, but with TFs somehow stranded in that galaxy far, far away might work. Otherwise, I also like the idea of a story in the Star Wars universe peripheral to the one we know, but that focuses on stranded TFs and how they basically stumbled into a civil war, one which they have to survive to find a way home. So, you could have, say...Bumblebee show up and disguise himself as Anakin's racing pod or something (or as another piece of SW mech in general), and show what happened to him as the events of the SW story we know unfolded around him. Yeah...I think I might write that one myself...if I can get over the lazy streak. :) 

But as for SW TFs as they are, you've got to ask yourself one question: Who in the world would swallow a storyline in which the SW characters are so vain as to have their craft turn into giant, robot versions of themselves? 30-foot Darth Vader my @$$.

Likewise, I think the Marvel Crossovers should turn into TF characters, too. I don't want "Skin-Jeep" Wolverine. There are all kinds of craft in the Marvel Universe: the Avengers Quinjet, the Starjammer, S.H.I.E.L.D. heli-carriers, the X-Mens' Blackbird... Hell, they could create vehicle modes just for characters to ride in. It doesn't even have to be a familiar Marvel craft. Hasbro is just being lazy.

3. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    I'll put it simple, SWTF don't exist for me.

4. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    According to the general trivia the bots are just plain mecha's nothing special - other than a sucky concept.

5. lazerrodphill

lazerrodphill Well-Known Member

it would be awesome if transformers were just star wars vehicles or headmasters imagine darth vader being scorponoks head. the combination thing is lame

6. DarkKnightPrime

DarkKnightPrime Banned

claps!!!!!!

7. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    I'm going to have to agree with you both. I abhor them.

8. weeklyhero

weeklyhero Prototytan

They make as little sense to me as the Marvel Crossovers, even though I think they look better (excluding Venom, man that thing's ugly!).

9. Bottom Out

Bottom Out Well-Known Member

im going to go with, they're just toys

10. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Well, regardless of the QC issues, inferior plastics, and poor design and engineering, I still like most of the SWTF's line. For me, they were the ultimate in childhood wish fulfillment: combining my two childhood favorite toys with transforming SW vehicles.

For that reason alone, I love them dearly. That, and Death Star Vader is so freaking badass. That toy alone is enough reason to be grateful for the crossover, especially when it could motivate a customizer to produce a Unicron Death Star... something I have yet to see, but hopefully will be made soon.

And for everyone who hates them: you're entitled to your opinion, but those of us who do like them don't deserve taking flak because we do. It's all a matter of personal preference.

I also would not want to see SWTF fiction of any kind. The continuity issues are silly and downright stupid, but I'm still glad the toys got made.

11. Backstop

Backstop Have you seen my box art?

News Credits:
    yupp many feel this way as well!

12. Deadend

Deadend Overloaded Spark

News Credits:
    The allspark passed through their galaxy on the way to earth. It was a long long time ago, in a galaxy far far away.

Seriously though, the intial waves with pilots I considered them adapting TF tech via a crossover to better create a way to fight. Force users can also be considered using te force to form the vehicle to change. These non pilotable ones and the millenium falcon I consider just weird podscans of war refugees that accidentally scanned the bioforms on board as well. Overall, I don't buy them though. I'm sure some form of decent fiction could be created though if given a decent depth to why.

Maybe the force is just an extension of primus through organic hands in this world? Midichlorians being techno organic nanites that can channel it in organics, the truth being lost to time. And some cosmic force disturbance ruptured the balance creating massive force power surges within all, the technology though actually evolving from it and gaining allspark birth sentience that just happens to become imprinted from the person who used it most. The disturbance could be the simultaneous destruction of unicron's body in one TF universe offshoot, during the exact moment the Dark Side is wiped out in SW before it's reborn again from a Dark Jedi. Breaking balance or some such malarky that would give a reason for creation power to flow freely and unchecked, nigh chaotic.

13. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    All of the Star Wars and Marvel transformable garbage makes me wonder why Hasbro doesn't make G.I. Joe and Cobra Transformers, since they used to exist in the same universe and it actually makes sense. To me, transforming Millenium Falcon which turns into Han and Chewie = lameness of the highest sort. But, a transforming Cobra Rattler which turns into a robot is freaking awesome. (Think Jetstorm.)

14. Optimus Clyde

Optimus Clyde Space Trucker

News Credits:
  15. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
  16. Jochimus

Jochimus Well-Known Member

I was asked this back in a fan art thread, and this was my response: