Star Wars On Blu: Sooner than you think?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by 03Mach1, Apr 18, 2010.

1. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Logic has been replaced with blind ignorance.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  2. Optimus1986

Optimus1986 TMNT & Hulk Fanatic

Not looking forward to the price tag on this one.

3. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    I hadnt even realized that it wasnt on Blu already, nor do I have the need for it at this point. It looks good enough for me on DVD

4. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    Yeah really, starting at the hundreds would seem to be about right. and that will probably be just for a standard set. I can't even begin to imagine what a "Collector's set" with all the extras and the obligatory lightsaber will cost.

5. KidDynamite

KidDynamite Do good recklessly Veteran

Twitter:
    I'm only interested in it if they're either available individually or split up into Original Trilogy/Prequel Trilogy sets of three. Not getting suckered into owning three movies I will never watch just because everything comes in a giant set together.

6. NCStarscream

NCStarscream Me Grimlock cute

News Credits:
    I definitely want the six live action movies on Blu-ray, but I'm only going to buy them once. And I'm supremely confident they're gonna release it over and over with minute changes (or maybe none at all apart from packaging). So exactly how much extra content is thrown in there and what specific changes to the movies are made will determine whether or not I pick up the first release on the format.

7. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

and i do not want to be suckered into buying the edited original trilogy either.

it better have the ORIGINAL original, trilogy, heck i will settle for the first "1997" re-release version, at least all that did was add extra scenes. =/

8. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I too am really only interested in the OT of this. DVD will be fine for the prequels that I hardly ever watch.

9. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    I wonder what changes Lucas will do to the films for this release...

10. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    this!

I have a DVD-Box with original cinematic versions and newer DVD release versions. But oh wonder, neither version is the original version!

the 1997 release was the best. I'd love to have that one on DVD... :( 

11. Omnius

Omnius Guest

News Credits:
    Only interested in the original or '97 versions of the OT, these will either be the DVD versions or worse still a further needlessly-tweaked version. Not getting my hopes up!

12. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Furthermore, Lucas added "We've found a way to include new scenes with Jar Jar Binks in the original trilogy. People kept asking me, 'What happened to Jar Jar? We never saw him killed!' We've come up with a very interesting side story that will have him interacting with Han, Leia, Luke, and his old pal Yoda. It's going to be fantastic."

13. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wait, when you guys refer to the 1997 rerelease, are you referring to the silver and golden VHS box? It's been a while. Those were remastered, but not the Special Editions, right?

14. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    Remastered and added scenes. Only available on VHS. I remember I had only a DVD player even than. Never had a VHS.

15. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So before Greedo shoots first, but after Jabba in A New Hope?

16. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sorry George, you've already gotten all the money you're going to get from me. No need to own these a fourth time, regardless of the format.

17. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I doubt there will be a hi-def transfer of the unaltered original trilogy. They couldn't even be bothered to do a proper release for DVD. Simply ripped the Laser Disc and left it letterboxed in a 4:3 display. So if you're holding out hope for the unaltered original trilogy, you're going to likely be disappointed.

18. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have no gripes whatsoever with the Special Editions, except for one thing, and it's Han shoots second. And it's not even because of the principal of changing it, it's just because the execution was so poorly done. You could clearly see the cut frame and the cheap after effects sliding the paper doll effect and it makes me cringe every time. Otherwise, I'm happy and I'll quadrupal-dip on these. It's Star Wars in HD. Hell yeah!

19. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Oh, I'll definitely buy it as well. I do hope they clean it up a bit compared to the broadcast HD. It looked good, but you could tell they never went the extra mile with it. Empire (my favorite in terms of color, tone and cinematography) should look absolutely beautiful with the extra clarity.

20. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm bet you've watched Empire in upscaled DVD on the PS3. It looks almost BR-quality in terms of clarity and color. I'm pretty sure the BRs will improve over the HD broadcast. Lord of the Rings definitely look better on BR than the recent Hd broadcasts, and Lucas is extremely picky about making his movies look good. People might not like the content in the Original Trilogy Star Wars DVDs, but those movies were cleaned and improved with a fine-tooth comb. They look like recently-made movies.