Star Wars mythos question

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by jorod74, Nov 30, 2009.

1. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    this isn't exactly a movie question, not entirely about the books, so i put it here.

Yoda said the Force is everywhere...binds us, moves us, surrounds us, yada and yada.
    I was wondering if Droids could be Force sensitive or have the ability to use it.
    this question popped in my head as i was thinking that lots of driods had personalities and "emotions."

So can a rare droid here and there be a Force user or did that whole Midi chloridian crap screw that idea up?

2. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

I'm moving this to Movies since it seems more appropriate there.

3. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  4. mrhillz

mrhillz Changed his user title. TFW2005 Supporter

Minus the skippy story, I seriously doubt a droid would have the capacity to learn the force. An organic mind can be so limitless in that it can learn, as a droid only has a certain amount due to the memory capacity.

5. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

Only organics can be Force-sensitive. This is why Darth Vader never uses Force lightning in the classic trilogy. He can't because his cybernetic arms cannot conduct the magical lightning.

6. Keiichitron

Keiichitron Not a physicist, dammit

Ebay:
    "It's an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us, penetrates us, and binds the galaxy together."
    ―Obi-Wan Kenobi

droids, even sentient ones, would not be counted among the living.

7. JetsAndHeels

JetsAndHeels Banned

Like Obi Wan said in AOTC:

"If droids could think, there wouldn't be any of here would there?"

There is a reason for this...if droids were force sensitive, just about every battle in the PT would have probably turned out different.

8. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

Wow that's...that's a genuinely repulsive sentiment, considering how many droids have been depicted with fairly developed personalities. Heck, a fair number of SW droids would pass the Turing test with flying colours.

Makes me understand 4-LOM, IG-88, and HK-47 a lot better. The fact that restraining bolts and periodic memory wipes are apparently required to keep them in line really makes it hard not to perceive it as a culture of slavery.

Again, I don't think Lucas really ever paid much attention to the ramifications of his particular dialogue choices, sometimes. That one's not quite a tiny issue, considering we have 2 droids who are pretty much main characters. If Artoo and Threepio weren't, then they'd be able to handwave it with a lot greater ease, in my opinion.

- Coeloptera

9. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Admittedly, that's from Dark Force Rising, not the movies, but I think it's as definitive an answer as you can get.

10. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

I'd rather have pseudo-slavery than, yanno, Terminator-style Judgement Day.

11. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    According to Tales Of The Bounty Hunters, Zuckuss has a vision of 4-LOM training at the Jedi Academy. Makes you wonder.
    And I still love where 4-LOM's name comes from - 4 Love Of Money (he renamed himself when he became a bounty hunter).

12. Coeloptera

Well, to be fair, 4-LOM was trying to understand intuition, not the Force.

Who knows if he wasn't there just to try and pick up a little "trust your feelings" mojo?

- Coeloptera

13. Kando

Kando Well-Known Member

14. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    That's funny about Skippy. I had never heard that. I prefer the story told somewhere else that R2-D2 actually tinkered with the droid on the sand crawler before they got to the Lars home and it was the tinkering that caused the R4 unit to fail like that. I can't recall if that was in the book or radio drama or what.

15. cagliostro

cagliostro Victi Vincimus

It's also why he died so easly at the end of Jedi.

Don't forget Obi-Wan was always portrayed as a bit of a patrician and snob.

16. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    I didnt know R5 was nicknamed "Skippy", I have the original droid from the 70's and 2 newer releases.

17. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    this. they should have never try to explain it and leave it somehow magic...

18. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    R2-D2 feels the Force would hinder him so he doesn't use it. R2 is the true hero of the movies. If he wasn't there, pretty much every character would have been killed or captured serveral times over. R2 is the Chuck Norris of Star Wars.

19. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:

More like the Brain (inspector gadget) of Star wars

20. Coeloptera

Because it also really makes ysalamiri harder to explain as well.

Also, the "deal" with them is wildly inconsistant. There are literally no set "rules" for them at all. Everything is contradictory. Check the SW wiki: Midi-chlorian - Wookieepedia, the Star Wars Wiki

"The magnitude of the midi-chlorian count served as a measure of one's potential in the Force,[8] though there were other inheritable characteristics that could influence Force ability as well.[9] Indeed, though Force ability often meant a high midi-chlorian count, it was not always the case.[10] While some medical theories postulated that the midi-chlorians created the connection between more macroscopic organisms and the Force, some Jedi believed that, contrarily, the midi-chlorians were created by the Force to serve as the link between it and other life.[3] Midi-chlorian counts did not indicate an upper limit to Force ability; the possibility existed for a Jedi to achieve a connection to the Force on an equivalent level to a Jedi with a higher count.[2]

Midi-chlorians could be influenced by the Force to create new life, a technique developed by Dark Lord of the Sith Darth Plagueis.[11] There was even a possibility that they could induce conception in a Human; Anakin Skywalker was believed to have been conceived by the midi-chlorians, with no biological father.[1] This was considered impossible by many Jedi, however, and the idea received only shock when it was first proposed to the Jedi Council.[2]

Though tested for, midi-chlorians did not usually figure into the medical treatment of most beings, and they were linked to no known pathology.[6] Chemicals used in medicine, such as anesthetics, could thin the midi-chlorians; if it was vital they be preserved, a being could be operated on without anesthesia.[12] The drug bota, on the other hand, was thought capable of boosting the effects of the midi-chlorians, enhancing an individual's Force-sensitivity.[5] Blood rich in midi-chlorians could be transfused into an injured organism to keep it alive, but this would not transfer any of the blood donor's Force-sensitivity.[13]"

Yeah, clear as mud.

- Coeloptera