Star Wars in HD

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by starscream-99, May 18, 2009.

1. starscream-99

starscream-99 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Do you guys think well get the Star Wars Saga on Blu-Ray any time soon? Or are they out already but I can't find them?

2. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Soon? No, not likely. Eventually? Yes.

3. Backpack

Backpack Scattershot who?

I wouldn't worry... when there's any news of it coming out... you'll hear about it. I hope I'm wrong but I'd bet we wont see Star Wars on Blu-ray until 2013-15. Who knows though maybe they will release them to build up interest in the Live Action TV Show in 2012 (?).

4. Emperor Mengde

Emperor Mengde Instrumentalist

QFT. Look how long it took them to release the DVDs. I just pray that when they do release them they include the original versions and the new cuts so as to satisfy everyone. But I have a bad feeling there will be a double dip on these at least

5. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

lol...the BR one will be another "upgrade" of the already newer one.

6. karamazov80

karamazov80 Million Dollar Champion

I remember how ridiculously long it took for them to release on DVD. For whatever reason (and it clearly isn't just "to get it right"), they like making the geeks sweat.

However, I was playing Episode IV DVD on my HDTV the other day, through the PS3, and it looked and sounded fantastic. Honestly, I'm in no big rush for an update.

7. starscream-99

News Credits:
    I actually watched Episode IV the other night also, and it didn't look as good as other movies, and I have the same set up you do.

Why do you think they'll wait that long to release them?

8. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

Same here. The dvds I have look and sound great on my HD setup so there's no rush. I want the blu-rays to come out when Lucas has finished all of his updates to the series so that when it does come out, it's the ultimate version possible. It's also imperative that Episodes IV - VI include the original version of the film. If Star Trek: TOS can come out on blu-ray and allow you to switch back and forth between the original broadcast version and the newly updated HD version, Lucas can do the same.

Besides, from what I understand the rest of the Indiana Jones movies are headed for blu-ray by Christmas, so Star Wars can't be too far behind.

Possibly to coincide with the 30th anniversary of Return Of The Jedi.

9. pinoy78

pinoy78 Shoji Kawamori having FUN

Screw you Lucas.

You're not getting anymore of my money.

10. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i should have gotten iv-vi on dvd, but Spike burned me out on em with their every other weekend marathons.
    i will get them eventually.
    but no rush for Blu.

11. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Damnit! I came in here with hopes of a BR announcement. :( 

12. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    I agree. Ever since the prequal trilogy, Lucas has been quite greedy.

I'll just get Revenge of the Sith with my original trilogy box set and that's that.

13. Backpack

Backpack Scattershot who?

A long time from now,
    in a future far far away......

Star Wars in HD.

I stay pretty well informed about Star Wars, can't quote sources being that this is all old info. From what I understand... there will never be an HD release of the original versions of the first trillogy. Lucas and team worked to restore the orginal prints... not the finished one, but all the seperate eliments and recomposited them.... but instead of just making a re-master they took it a step further added to them... cutting the actual film. The way it's been told... there are no film masters or eliments for the original trillogy in existance from which to make an HD transfer. Currently the best source for the films are from the Laser Disc releases for Hope through Jedi. These were used on the most recently DVD releases that had the original versions as extras to the Special Editions. However, on the DVDs they were not animorphic widescreen. So it is possible to get a slightly better quality version then what is currently out there. Lucas's intention back in '97 was that the original versions would never be seen again. We and history will pay the price for that line of thinking - in that Star Wars : A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi, originals will never have a quality on video which they deserve.

The talk going around for years is that Lucas's next major release for the movies will be the last one. They will be what he calls the Archivial Editions. All 6 films, with changes (much like the special editions, and the more recent changes in the DVD releases) to make them all fit together to his likeing. Even before the HD formate came about Lucas said he was going to wait for some format which was better than DVD for the Archive Editions. Now that we have Blu-ray he seems to be stalling on the issue. It seems he is waiting for HD to become the power-house that DVD was before releasing them on Blu-ray.

Last year Speilberg wanted to put all the Indiana Jones movies on Blu-ray. Lucas stepped in and basicly said he didn't want to do that -because he thought that the market penitration of HD was still to small to warrent a release. It's just such a shame to me, coming from a man who has always been so much about progress and he himself has done so much to improve the technology of film making.... draging his feet on progress here. Any way Speilberg is still pushing to get his films out on Blu-ray because he just loves the formate so much. And yes there has been a lot of talk about the Raiders movies might be coming out near the end of the year (or maybe early 2010). Which to me is great if it happens, but what about his other films which Lucas has no say in? There's been no word of Jaws, ET, Jurrasic Park, Shindlers List in HD yet.

Back to Star Wars.

As others have mentioned, the current DVDs are great. They are of such high quality that when played upscaled on a blu-ray player (or what ever is used) they are already pretty much the same quality as any Blu-ray disc released film. Although when it does come out in HD... the quality should be beyond amazing. With a kind of clarity the rivials even new films. So IMO most of us wont mind the wait... because we have such nice versions right now.

14. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Well.... shit... :( 

Yea, I admit that I will buy that, and I only want 3 of the 6 films.

That motherfucker!!! I would have bought that at a high price!!

No.

Common Lucas! Release the damn things! We all know BR is never going to be as big as DVD so why tease us?!?

15. starscream-99

News Credits:
    I read a couple of years ago on Star Wars Insider that the original 3 will be back in theaters in 3-D sometime around when the live action TV show comes out. I starting to think they will probably release them sometime after that.

16. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

I woulden't put much stock in it. They might not have reassembled the original cuts when they went back to the original elements in the 90s, but they would have had to retransfer all the material they were made from to do the SEs and I have a hard time beliving that they didn't at least keep archival prints of the raw footage if the negatives were too knacked to last indefinatley. Aside from the fact that only a bunch of total morons would intentionally destroy source materials for 3 of the most profitable movies of all time, Lucasfilm hordes everything and theres still allot of stuff shot for those movies that hasen't been commercially exploited yet.

Plus were talking about Lucas here, who believes anything that comes out of his mouth anymore?

17. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

Personally, I don't care if they get released in 3D or not. While it sounds cool, I think I'd much rather have them all "special edition-ized," cleaned up, corrected and released in one, final complete box set. Even though IV-VI look good on dvd, there are still a lot of errors that I'd like to see corrected. And I'm not talking about "Han shot first" types of stuff, I'm talking about real errors like the score fading out when the X-Wings make their approach to the Death Star, Luke's white lightsaber when he's training on the Falcon, stuff like that. I'd even like to see them add lightsaber reflection on Vader's armor. That would be sweet.

As for cutting the original masters of the original films and using those to create the Special Editions, that's just short-sightedness on Lucas' part. Those films deserved proper preservation for film history's sake, if nothing else. It's like opening a file and forgetting to do "save as" when you change it up.

18. starscream-99

News Credits:
    I agree with you 100%

19. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

Wasn't George one of the big supporters to get BluRay systems on the market? I remember that's supposedly why he didn't originally want to release dvds to start with.