Star Wars fans: Best lightsaber duels in the movies?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by ComicGuy89, Feb 15, 2010.

1. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hello, my fellow Star Wars fans, what would you rate as the top 5 Star Wars lightsaber duels in the 6 movies?

For me in order, it'll be:
    1) Anakin vs Obi-Wan (Episode III) - Okay, there were a few cheesy parts in it, but the opening moves alone placed this squarely at the top. Not to mention it was the most grave and momentous of all the fights

2) Darth Vader vs Luke (Episode V) - The lack of music in this one is disconcerting, and really a very dark, powerful duel.

3) Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan vs Darth Maul (Episode I) - Very dramatic and amazingly choreographed. Beautiful music!

4) Yoda vs Count Dooku (Episode II) - I squealed in delight back then. There were a few more Yoda fights to follow, but I'm giving this one the honors for being the first to show how powerful Yoda could be.

5) Obi-Wan vs Darth Vader (Episode IV) - I was debating whether to include this or Luke vs Vader from ROTF, but I liked the word play between Vader and Obi-wan that takes on a whole new meaning after watching the prequels. Not to mention that historically it was the first lightsaber fight, EVER!

Honorable mention:
    Luke vs Vader (Episode VI) - Emotionally gripping and tense. I didnt really like the saber effects in that they had a different style compared to the other 5 movies, but it was still a powerful duel.

Do tell me your opinions!

2. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

Too much jumpy-flippy crap in the new ones.

Empire's the best. Powerful. Vader is utterly in control. He's testing Luke, letting him get out that aggression, then he just stops dueling and gets serious. He throws the room at him, calmly pursues him outside, and when he slacks off and Luke gets in one good hit, he takes Luke's hand. Fight over.

I mean there are several moments where Vader just stops moving and he's still winning. That's showing Luke the power of the Dark Side. That film cemented Vader's place in the pantheon of movie villains. He was a dark god, not a whiny douche.

Jedi is next. All the emotional content Revenge lacked. It's the fight where Luke came -><- close to just losing it totally. He was all rage, Vader moved into desperation as he realized he was outmatched this time. The dialogue was also good. Palpatine gleefully egging him on, Vader's comment about just moving on to Leia, that all just made it more sinister and awful.

Star Wars itself. Obi-Wan and Vader. Dignified, controlled, you get the impression a lot of the fight is happening in a subtle way we just can't see. When Obi-Wan just lets himself go at the end, you understand that everything he's done has been completely on purpose. That every move was thought out.

2 more huh? On pure choreography, Phantom Menace I guess. Ray Park is just that good. He carried the other two actors along pretty well. lacking in any real emotion, the choreography and music tried really hard to make up for it.

Last one? I won't touch crazy-lava mess and cracked-out muppet-fu. Jango and Obi-Wan in Attack. It was nice to see a non-jedi take it to Kenobi and battle him to an effective standstill. That was action-packed.

The Yoda/Dooku fight was...look...the word "dignity" is important, so is "gravitas". Yoda had been established as a contemplative master, serene in his almost unbelievable power. He did what Luke believed was impossible as naturally as he breathed. Christopher Lee just exudes dignity and elegance. He is cultured, urbane, and controlled. He can seethe with menace without moving a muscle.

So what do we get? A really old guy with a composited body and a cracked-up muppet bouncing about like idiots when it really felt, to me, like it should have been a contest of will, of mastery of the Force.

Restraint can really help give power to a scene. Lucas has utterly forgotten this.

- Coeloptera

3. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    1. Luke vs. Vader in Episode 5 (What Coeloptera said perfectly describes the duel)

2. Mustafar Duel (Well choreographed and story boarded and the tension between the two former friends)

3. Luke vs. Vader in Episode 6 (Very emotional and powerful especially when Luke counters)

4. Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon vs Maul in Episode 1 (Well choreograghed and music somewhat fit the mood. Maul just kicked their butt (almost). Plus, whoever falls in a bottomless pit while doing the moonwalk and breakdance is awesome)

5. Obi-Wan vs Vader in Episode 4 (Very simple and set the standards of why Star Wars is amazing)

Honorable mentions go to Count Dooku vs. Obi-Wan and Anakin (Christopher Lee was awesome where he easily beats two Jedi Knights) in Episode 2 and Jedi Knights vs Palpatine in Episode 3 (Despite him not having any practice with the lightsaber in many years I'm guessing, he just trounces most of them with ease).

4. John_Force

John_Force 16xNHRA Funny Car Champ TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    1.Vader vs. Obi-Episode 6-Music bumped this up.
    2.Grevious vs. Obi Wan-Love Grevious's eyes.
    3.Vader vs. Luke-ESB
    That's all I can think up that's in my top 5.

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Episode 3's final duel and Episode 5's are IMO some of the best. Both of them were fast paced and felt like the battles themselves really did intensify over time. They feel liek real figths, where every move is an attempt to kill the other person. Plus, they both had someone get pretty fucked up as a result. They also led up to some of the most important moments in the films.

Both Clone Wars cartoons had some really great duels too. Some I felt were more entertaining and felt more like real sword fights than most of what's been in the movies. However for the movies I would certainly say the above two are the best.

6. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

Vader vs. Luke in ROTJ. When Luke finally cuts him down and cuts his "hand" off. That was really powerful.

Quigon and Obi vs. Maul. Mainly for the music that goes along with it.

Worst saber fight is definitely Palpatine vs. Windu. Just awful.

7. Robimus

Robimus Wanna'be Cassettebot

News Credits:
    Both the times Luke fought Vader were so emotionally charged that they make every other fight pale in comparison to me.

From the stance of pure visual experience Ray Park gave the EP-1 duel with Ewan a real legitimacy with his amazing skills.

8. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Luke versus Vader in ROTJ.

None of that jumping spinning crap, no offensive Force powers from Jedi ('Use the Force for defence, never attack') that are used a bit in the prequel trilogy.

Also it was a level fight, not like Vader pwnd Luke or anything, and Luke only gets the upper hand when he allows to hatred to flow...

Plus it has Vaders realisation of another Skywalker. Best saber battle of the series.

9. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    As always for Star Wars, I am all about the old school stuff. ESB was definately a great one. ROTJ was as well. The thing with the new movies, because technology is a lot more advanced, they made it so rediculously flashy, fast and crazy that it just didn't do the same justice. You ask me if they were they cool fights? Yes.

10. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    This is an awesome thread.

I honestly can't decide which ones are my favorites, lightsaber duels always get me super pumped. Except for Episode 1. Nothing from that movie.

11. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    1. Luke vs. Vader Ep. V: It was just the best. Luke trying to show Vader that he is a Jedi now, and Vader showing Luke it doesn't make a difference. Not to mention we get the most famous line in SW history during the duel.

2. Luke vs. Vader Ep. VI: It showed the progression Luke had made. He was able to strike down Vader, even if it was with a little anger. The best part was Luke taking Vader's hand and starting to realize everything.

3. Anakin vs. Obi-Wan: While there was a lot of stupid stuff, like swinging from the ropes, there was also some interesting ideas. I thought fighting on top of the mining droids over the lava was cool, and so was the opening minutes that they exchanged blow after blow.

4. Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon vs. Darth Maul: Ray Park was just so cool in this role. Not to mention we got to see the unthinkable: a double-bladed lightsaber.

5. Mace Windu vs. Palpatine: While this might not have been the best, I can't elect a duel with Yoda in it since I just don't like him jumping and flying around. This duel showed how poerful Mace Windu was, and always makes you think if Palpatine held back to trick Anakin. I always thought he did. And you get to see the first phase of Anakin joining Palpatine.

12. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Agreed, but I can easily identify the ones I feel DIDN'T work:

EP2
    Yoda vs. Dooku
    I was embarassed watching it; just laughable

EP3
    Palpatine vs. Windu and the other Jedi
    Palpatine came off as a big doofus... the other Jedi came off as incompetent

13. John_Force

John_Force 16xNHRA Funny Car Champ TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Have to agree with you. EP2-Yoda was jumping around so much, they really didn't get any good lightsaber action. The only action we got was them showing off their force power. And we all know Yoda's more powerful than dooku.
    EP3-'I can't hold on much longer. I'M weak' Yeah, sure you are. We all know Emperor Palpatine could pwn yoda and Windu

14. Attacker_Prime

Attacker_Prime Optimus Prime forever

1. V - Darth Vader vs. Luke.
    2. VI - Darth Vader vs. Luke.
    3. III - Darth Vader vs. Obi-Wan
    4. III - Windu vs. Palpatine.
    5. III - Dooku vs. Anakin.

15. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Obi-wan vs. Grevious. I love the look on Obi's face when Grevious pulls out 4 sabers. Even if the saber part of the battle doesn't last that long.

Yoda vs. Palpatine. Yes it ends in a draw. Because Yoda turned tale and ran just before Palpatine was going to crotchstomp him to paste.

16. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm really happy that people in this thread are overwhelming choosing the fights from the old trilogy rather than the new trilogy.

I couldn't help but feel watching the new trilogy that the fights were often pointless in terms of the story placement, and that for all their effects and choreography they felt completely without substance. The fights in the old trilogy were succint, heavily important to the story, and while they only seemed to use traditional stagefighting techniques (which is far from a bad thing), they had a lot more feeling in them, and were used well to advance not only the plots, but the themes of the movie.

If I had to pick a favorite, it would definitely be the final duel between Luke and Vader in ROTJ. The music, the raw emotion, hell, even the lighting used in the scene to show Luke's internal conflict as Vader and Palpatine goad him on were fantastic.

17. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    My favorite is the Obi-Wan/Qui-Gon/Maul fight from Phantom Menace. I'm not much of a Maul fan, but the fight/music combination really does it for me.

18. JetRaid

JetRaid Jhet Rheyd

News Credits:
    Yeah I liked the Obi-wan/Qui-Gon/Maul fight aswell, darth maul is awesome

19. Airspeed

Airspeed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    COOL thread
    Lightsabers are my favourite part of star wars

1.Obi-Wan vs Anakin/Vader Mustafar

2.Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon vs Darth maul

3.Anakin and Obi-Wan vs Dooku EpIII

4.Anakin and Obi-wan vs Dooku EpII

5.Obi-Wan vs Grevious

20. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

I really hate that fight, same for Mustafar. Just. Drag. On. Too. Fucking. Long.