Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by eagc7, Jan 11, 2016.

1. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

But not a Lucas story problem. That's--again--why I suggested having Kasdan redo the dialogue. That team worked.
    As a director, yes. But he wrote the entire draft script by himself, which is what you're objecting to him doing in my proposed scenario.
    George Lucas Wrote 'Star Wars' as...

No, it didn't. The scenes were somewhat shorter, but we got them in ANH when we learned about the senate being dissolved. We got them in ESB in the negotiations between Vader and Lando (an Imperial bargain with Bespin is no different from a trade embargo of Naboo). It just shows that if they're shorter and sweeter, you don't notice them.
    Except that we know that the Empire is what's left of the Old Republic government. The Rebel Alliance can just blow up Imperial targets, wipe the slate clean, and start over. But because of how the OT began (let alone Lucas' longstanding Palpatine=Nixon stance), Palpatine has to corrupt the Republic from the inside. (So yeah... written into a corner)
    I never got that impression. The foreground was still mostly lightsabers, dogfights, and narrow escapes (and pod racing). The political component is necessarily more important (and written less concisely) than in the OT, but it takes up a very small share of the actual screen time.
    Once the Nazis are defeated and another generation takes up their mantle, you get Neo-Nazis. And it's not like it was ever that simple. Both of Lucas' trilogies were about politics in 1960s and 1970s America, World War II, and the Roman Republic/Empire simultaneously. The Empire wasn't Nazis. It was every republic that's fallen to authoritarianism, including Germany, but most of all it was a warning of what the United States could become.

TFA is following in those footsteps. There's an emphasis on the new cast representing Millenial and younger teens and adults, including the political world we live in. Rey geeks out, plays with toys, and exhibits modern feminist attitudes. Finn's backstory touches on child slave armies, while his development arc is about fear of prejudice and desire for inclusion. Poe isn't around much, but he represents LGBTQ inclusion. Kylo bears a strong resemblance to a lot of young men right now who are dealing with deep uncontrolled rage and a sense of abandonment who are seduced by ideas of "order" and "history". It's not spelled out for you, but it's all out in the open, and there's very good reason certain groups hated the movie before it was even released.

It's not necessary to dig into all that stuff or even care about it, but it's there.

This is false. The prequels were an early victim of online hatewagoning and a revisionist narrative of events.
    A Brief History of Prequel Bashing or Why We Can’t Have Nice Things

In reality, the PT films were better received critically than the OT was--Revenge of the Sith especially. Anecdotes of standing ovations are common (and this was my personal experience in theaters as well (but my screening of TFA didn't get one)). My circle of friends wasn't disappointed in TPM until they'd seen it in theaters a dozen or so times--at which point you'd be bored with and notice all the flaws in anything. Jar Jar received some backlash, but people didn't start hating the films wholesale until much later, after a vocal minority had been brewing their narrative for a long time. This was deliberate too. Longtime members of the Jedi Council forums have written about how Michael Kaminski had been openly transparent about writing The Secret History of Star Wars specifically to create and legitimize a negative narrative about Lucas and the prequels until it was published.

And that narrative has been wearing off as younger fans enter the adult fandom and older ones give the trilogy a second chance. You can find numerous recent articles online about this.

That's the case now. It was initially criticized by fans due to continuity issues and perceived character inconsistencies.
    Which others? The ones from Ridley Scott that wouldn't exist for about another decade?
    Because none of what makes prequels a bad idea would apply to a non-prequel? The math isn't too hard here.
    But he still wrote the entire draft script. Involvement elsewhere is relevant how exactly, when I'm not suggesting it?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Pharoid

Pharoid Time Traveling Robot

News Credits:
    Everything about this looks good.

3. Chris James

Chris James Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's a fantastic design but I'll save an IMAX viewing for my second TLJ viewing.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  4. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Or you know, he was just an ordinary farmer trying to make an honest living like 99% of people in the world. And that mundane, hardworking life was a reason Luke became a better man than his father

• Like Like x 8
  5. bagofshhh

bagofshhh Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't understand why you think you are being contrary to my other post or the point you are trying to make. I was never trashing farmer or people who work hard in general.
    In my version of what IMO would have been a more interesting character arc for Owen, Luke would have always thought he'd been "an ordinary farmer." So him having a different career or life before raising Luke would have had no effect on Luke's perspective or upbringing. In fact if Owen had sacrificed a (higher paying, higher risk, more interesting, etc.) career or life for Luke it would have made him more sympathetic.
    Of course this is all academic because it didn't happen.

6. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Owen is already sympathetic because he's just a good, ordinary man no different from you or I, just working to make our way in the galaxy.....and turns out to be (fatally) involved in raising the man who become one of the galaxy's greatest heroes. The hero from humble origins but noble parentage is the kind of old writing idea that Star Wars has been riding like a trusted pony since day dot.

Besides, contextually, Obi-Wan fills the role of unassuming, boring old man with the badass background in the OT, having Owen be the same would have been redundant.

• Like Like x 4
  7. SentaiTFMechaLover

SentaiTFMechaLover Well-Known Member

I just really hope Luke and Leia cross paths with eachother in the movie, hopefully there is an onscreen reunion between Luke and Leia, that will be my main disappointment of the movie if that doesn't happen.

• Like Like x 4
  8. rapid_fire

rapid_fire Banned

That's what I hate about these new movies, these two characters were huge in the other movies, they're twin siblings, Vaders kids, galactic heroes, both should have been force users in these new movies. But nope, ones hiding on an island and the other just flies around on ships doing nothing while her kid is wreaking havoc. Its looking like they'll hardly be in this new movie as well.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    flies around in ships doing nothing? shes the head of the resistance and is leading a small army, how exactly is that nothing?

10. rapid_fire

rapid_fire Banned

titles don't mean anything

yep, nothing. Oh wait, she let everyone know Starkiller base is charging its weapon! And she gave some hugs, that's nice :) 

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Fenrys

News Credits:
    the emperor was talked about but never shown in episode 4, was only ever shown in a single scene in episode 5 and did nothing but sit in a chair in episode 6. guess he wasnt really an emperor either.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Blackout32

Blackout32 ANTHRAX - PERSISTENCE OF TIME

Cybertron The Matrix of leadership knowledge,power
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I can't wait to get to see this movie. I've had a gift card for 2 people to see a movie for 2 yrs and I intend to see this movie. I'm not going to put this movie off from seeing it in theaters like I did with star wars ep: 7 force awakens and rogue one. I've seen the last trailer and it's got walkers so theater here I come.

13. rapid_fire

rapid_fire Banned

Ignoring the prequels which is an hour worth of him being in the movies, skip to 52 minutes, his first 30 seconds, look at how much info he gives! Yep, giving commands like a leader, Plus that dude saved Anakin's life, gotta give him props for that.

14. Fenrys

News Credits:
    Still doesn’t make him much of an emperor, guess it was pointless for him to be in the movies since the title of emperor means nothing :p 

15. rapid_fire

rapid_fire Banned

You're exactly right, they could have called him Captain Fluffy, titles mean nothing. I fail to see how this has anything to do with why you quoted me in the first place. Did me reffering to Leia as a useless character bother you? She should have done more, the character deserved more. It bothers ME that they werent utilized more lol

16. Fenrys

News Credits:
    The new trilogy was never going to have the original characters as anything more than peripheral characters

• Like Like x 1
  17. rapid_fire

rapid_fire Banned

"shes the head of the resistance and is leading a small army"

and she was meant to be nothing more than a peripheral character? That makes sense, more like bad writing. We'll see if this new movie can fix that! Hoping so.

18. Tkemert20

Tkemert20 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And frankly, that's how it should be anyways. People getting riled up about a new generation of movies not starring the older characters instead of building up new ones and giving new fans new characters to look up to the way older fans could to the older characters. It's begging for series stagnation and as someone that wants the series to grow, you can't have the same characters continue being the stars forever.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Fenrys

News Credits:
    Exactly, hell look at how much people complain about bumblebee in transformers these days

20. GuardianAngel87

GuardianAngel87 Well-Known Member

Eh, I wouldn't count on it, unfortunately. Leia and Luke, as well as Han, certainly deserve far better than they were given by this point, though.