Star Wars Crossover Basics - Y-Wing Fighter Review

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by TimToyGeek, Oct 8, 2011.

1. TimToyGeek

TimToyGeek Well-Known Member

I haven't seen a thread on this guy yet, just picked him up at Target.

Star Wars Transformers. I think I have most of the regular size except for the Republic Cruiser that just looks terrible. While I think some of them are just fine, there are others that were among the worst transforming toys ever made. Still, I like the regular-sized version of the Y-Wing (love those little holstered pistols), and I've been interested in the new smaller 'basic' sized SW Crossovers.

For its size, this is a good Transformer. The Y-Wing comes packed in fighter mode, it's the pudgy version of the Y-Wing from the Clone Wars cartoons. It has a decent level of detailing and features, the front landing skid pivots down (the two rear gears are permanently deployed). The Y-Wing has what could be a bomb bay door in the lower back part of the ship body - I can't figure out what else this moving flap is used for, it doesn't figure into the transformation or the mech mode. So let's say it's a bomb bay, the Y-Wings were bombers, right?

Y-Wing Mode
    IMAG0131 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

The Y-Wing comes with a grey rifle that looks like it was just taken directly from a Star Wars figure. Still, it fits with the mech figure nicely (so much better than a 'missile launcher held loosely in the mech figure's fist' kind of weapon), and it can fit into either side of the landing gear, there's a little clip formed on the underside that holds the rifle. Note, too, not much robot kibble visible in Y-Wing mode.

Y-Wing Mode - underside showing rifle storage
    IMAG0132 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Transformation is easy but somewhat clever, and different from the regular sized version. The side engines become both the arms and the lower legs. There's not much of a backpack in mech mode, much better than the wobbly backpack that the other Y-Wing sports.

Mech mode is limited by its size, but overall not bad, at least as good as the majority of the full-sized Star Wars Crossover bots (yes, I am damning with faint praise.) He has hinge ankles, double hinge knees, rotator hips (they're a ball joint, but the front parts block them a bit). So he can pull off a kneeling or running pose decently. The ball jointed shoulders are blocked but overall good, there are somewhat blocked double hinge joints at the elbows and hinged wrists. He can hold his rifle with two hands, which is always a nice feature. You get a decent range of motion, considering the size. Rotating head.

Mech Mode
    IMAG0133 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Kneeling, holding rifle with both hands
    IMAG0134 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

So, in the world of SW Crossovers, this is one of the good ones, I even like him better than his full-sized version. I'm impressed by how they managed to fit a decent and somewhat poseable mech mode into this small a figure. Definitely worth the price. I may need to check out more of this size class. I'm wondering how they can manage to do this size class so nicely while making that quad changer too? I don't plan to get it, but that is one messy looking toy.

Tim
    "toy geek"

2. Sentinel

Sentinel TF Museum Curator Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    The bomb-bay door on this guy and the other little Class 1 figures is so they can attach to the SWTF Darth Destroyer (quad changer). In fact, I just did this a few minutes ago. There is a slot on the Jedi Cruiser mode for which the little versions to attach.

Nice review and a cool little figure.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  3. Agent Adam

Agent Adam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The rifle kinda looks like the one from the 3 3/4 line, but the front end is upside down here for some reason.

4. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Peace through Tyranny!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This one actually may warrant a purchase....

5. 9.8m/s^2

9.8m/s^2 What's in a name?

Lots of blocked joints, but it's fairly easy to trim plastic around the joints to free up some more movement.

Also, while gerwalk modes aren't popular with everyone, this TF does have a pretty decent one (which actually reminds me of a Battletech mech, too).

Overall, it's the best of the basic SWTFs....not that that's saying much...

6. Snake_eyes1975

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I like Gerwalk....And im a huge fan of battletech. show me some pics of what you mean, Please. Id love to see it.

I have a mode I do for HA Basic Thunderhead and the green repaint that remind me of a Masakari....

7. 9.8m/s^2

Here you go. Note that the poses are after trimming plastic from the elbows and waist. The rifle isn't very Battletechy, though; maybe it could pass as a large pulse laser. :) 

Attached Files:

8. Snake_eyes1975

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wow dude, I do kinda get the battletech vibe. Kinda looks like a battle hawk! Thanks for the pics, is this the second wave? I haven't seen this one yet, just the grevous and jedi ones.

9. Snake_eyes1975

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So I actually found this one today. 1st time seeing it. Gotta say, this is the most impressive SWXO ive seen. I bought a few when they 1st came out with the lil pilots, but I think the commander size for the pricepoint works great.

The close trooper gun makes me laugh...I been displaying my Legions with Joe guns for awhile.

Anyways...this one is great. Its worth a purchase.

10. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Nice review. This one and the Darth Vader Starfighter (Episode III-ish) have intrigued me.

11. LeTigre

LeTigre Meat popsicle

I'm thinking more of a Crab or King Crab.

12. Snake_eyes1975

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    NICE! BT guy there too. Def the Crab, King Crab was alot flatter n wider ;) 

Noticed this one has two spots for lightsabers to clip in on the bottom, and what turns right under the hand for a repaint.

13. 9.8m/s^2

The cockpit reminds me of a Bushwacker or Cougar, but the weapons configuration is more similar to a humanoid 'mech, like a Vixen. If only the y-wing had c-joint clips...

14. MisterFanwank

MisterFanwank Toy Industry Analyst

News Credits:
    While I think the chest is bland and I dislike the pointlessly blocked joints, this is a fantastic little figure.

15. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Just a regular old plumbus

News Credits:
    Star Wars Class I figures have been consistently winning. I'm getting this and Vader definitely.

16. MisterFanwank

News Credits:
    ^ Grievous, Obiwan and Anakin all flopped for me. Are there any other molds besides those and the Y-wing? I've only seen these four, although with a couple repaints.

17. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    What's the problem with Anakin?

18. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Just a regular old plumbus

News Credits:
    The Y-Wing is the only new mold. The other two are repaints of Anakin and Obi-Wan.

19. MisterFanwank

News Credits:
    Kibble, curling iron arms that bend in with no bicep swivel, kibble, stupidly simple transformation where the entire robot is visible from underneat, kibble, kibble, oh, and did I say kibble? He has kibble.

20. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think for a small figure he's not too bad, and the fact that they gave him pseudo-ratcheting joints is really awesome. However he fails in my book for just one reason alone...HE CAN'T STAND!

With that said, these guys are still miles ahead of their larger counterparts, and I think I'll pick up this Y-wing.