Star Trek XI casting scoop for Big 3?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tenebrouser, Feb 27, 2007.

1. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

2. Zero Prime

Zero Prime Windows user no more

This is just a big NO for me. I don't mine different actors, but let them be different chacters with a new story line. I wouldn't mind a totally new movie in a different time frame, some time after Voyager.

3. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

I'd like to see the alternate reality TOS that was talked about once, where the Kirk's Enterprise is searching for the reason why there are so many humanoid races in the galaxy. As long as they don't go the new BSG route, and suck all the fun out of the franchise.

I still think it'd be neat to see a series set 20 to 30 years after nemesis, on Enterprise E that's no longer the pride of the fleet. Put a misfit crew on a rattletrap ship, on border patrol, that always manages to run across all the weird shit.

4. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    It’s hard to imagine other people playing those parts, but I also think they can do a lot worse then those three.

5. Bendimus Prime

Bendimus Prime Rolls for initiative TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Well, those actors aren’t bad compared to the originals. The only thing that confuses me, isn't this supposed to be Kirk's first mission as the Captain of the Enterprise, or sometime before that? Because Matt Damon is two years older then Shatner was when he played Kirk way back in '66. Seems to me they should have gotten someone younger.

6. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Cool - I could get on board with this. Looking forward to it!

7. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

Damon and Sinise, yay. Brody..meh, although he might work.

8. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    I can easily see Sinise pulling off McCoy, no bones about it (ha). He's got such a broad range and a looks a bit like DeForrest Kelly, too. Brody? I don't know any of his work, but he could probably do it, and he's got that tall, gangly look of a young Spock. I don't know if Damon could to justice to Kirk. I don't think anyone can. If he does land the role, he's going to have to have to be William Shatner, not just do a James Kirk impression, like how Jim Carrey became Andy Kaufman for Man on the Moon.

9. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This will be a very horrible movie, indeed. Anytime they change the actor of a character in any movie/tv show (aside from Doctor Who), it's ruined for me.

10. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

I'm waiting for the announcement of Mike Meyers as Scotty.

"Get in mah Warp Engine!"

11. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    QFT in a major way. If Damon's going to play Jim Kirk, he should spend a few weeks with Shatner (in a Depp meets Thompson manner) and really come to understand the Shat. Jim Kirk is so very Bill Shatner (and vice versa) that there's no real way to do justice to that character unless Damon and Shatner get the chance to really gel together.

Sinise as McCoy - Fantastic. Great idea. Brody, I have no problem with...but Sinise? I love that.

12. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

So did Christopher Reeve ruin Superman for you?

I think Sinise is an awesome choice. I don't care for Brody, but I can see why they'd want him.

Damon ... has big swing potential either way.

But all I want is a Riker movie/series. :( 

13. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Not a fan of Star Trek, so I probably won't see the movie either way :( 

14. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

I'm not quite feeling it. Part of it is because of my love of the actors and characters, and the difficulty I'll have seeing anyone else in those roles. But the other thing is that these guys are stars. Shatner, Nimoy and even Kelley were not really stars when they took the roles. They were character actors - not total unknowns, but still not stars. I'd rather see JJ take the same route here. At the very least it'd be easy for me to adjust to "new Kirk" than "Damon as Kirk."

Of the three, I agree that Sinese is the best pick (or at least rumored pick).

Damon I'd need to see to believe.

Brody... like him as an actor (loved him when I first saw him in Summer of Sam) so I'm open, but I'm going to be very skeptical. If you look at the last 20 years of Star Trek, there have been very few actors who've been able to play Vulcans well. It has less to do with talent (which Brody has) than it does with really "getting" the character, and many actors have a hard time with it, toning down the emotion way too far. Shatner is relatively easy to follow (even easier to mock), but if anyone needs to be mentored by his predecessor, I think it's Nimoy (who arguably shaped his character more than any of the other actors).

Any chance they can cast Masi Oka as young Sulu? :p 

15. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

There is a slight difference. Superman, Bond, Batman, Robin Hood, Dracula, Jack Ryan and many others existed prior to the film, and most audiences knew them as interpretations of that character, even if for many one actor became the "definitive" version (like Reeve or Connery).

With Kirk, Spock, McCoy and other characters (like, say, Indiana Jones) were pretty much created with the actors. Yes, they were there in a script before hand, but many of the defining aspects of those characters evolved because of input from the actors. Hell, Scotty wasn't even Scottish until Jimmy Doohan made him so.

This is not to say those actors can't be replaced, just that it's probably going to be harder, and it's uncertain how the characters will change as a result.

We are now at a point when tv shows and film franchises are many decades old - 40, in the case of Trek, 30 for Star Wars, etc. Time is eventually going to make it impossible for the actors to continue in these roles, and I think audiences need to decide whether these stories stay stuck in a particular time and place, or whether they become part of the living cultural heritage we share, which means being remade, retold, recast, and reinterpreted, just as happens with Robin Hood, King Arthur, Dracula, Frankenstein, Superman, Batman, King Kong and Godzilla.

16. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sorry for the off-topic, but I have to second this. As I understand it, Frakes was quite on board with the idea at one point. I loved his 'future' character as it was portrayed in "All Good Things..." - hardened, tough, but still compassionate and loyal.

This I would have watched, but I left following Trek after Next Gen... saw one episode each of DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise. No thanks.

17. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

I liked Voyager, but never got into DS9. And I gave up on Enterprise early and often. Seeing Riker (even if he was 30 lbs heavier) and the CG Enterprise D in the finale was awesome though.

18. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    I’m a casual Trek fan. I like it but don’t die for it so maybe that help me accept new people playing old characters.

19. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    lolol

sinise would be awsum and new guys in familiar roles would actually pique my nipples as a casual fan.

20. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

If y'all are the reading type, they've started a book series about Riker and his crew aboard the USS Titan following the events of Nemesis. It's pretty good.
    [/quote]

One episode of DS9 doesn't do it justice. I know it's not for everybody, but that series gets pretty intense starting in season four. Give it another chance.

Back to the topic at hand...if this movie isn't going to be some stupid prequel crap like the rumors were saying (Starfleet Academy or whatever) then I'm interested. However, I still wish we'd see another 24th century movie or two (TNG/DS9/VOY/Titan era).