Star Trek will there be another TV Series?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by kenm2474, May 10, 2009.

1. Misatokitty

Misatokitty The Major

Ebay:
    Dude, First Contact, much as I like the film, did that.

I still don't get the hate for Enterprise. It's not in the TNG stable... it's the closest of the franchise to go back to the original series... pretty good show. Thought that when I watched it when it was first on, thought that when I watched it again on DVD, and everyone I know in person who's seen it loved it.

2. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

same here

Voyager and Deep Space 9 was the only two shows that i watched...

but i didnt like any of the movies, next generation, or enterprise...

so something new would be good for me.

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  3. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I personally don't hate enterprise I just don't think it was as good as what had come before. Also a big draw for me was the the technology side and enterprise was never going to have that given the concept of the show.

Also all the temporal war stuff just didn't do it for me.

4. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    As much as I loved the movie it kind of frustrates me. The movie worked very very well in movie form but I think I would have rather had them do a TV series. They could have done what they did on the movie but for the small screen with a smaller budget and we could have had a persistent show for a number of years. Now we are stuck waiting and I really don't think we will see a TV show any time soon. Maybe in 5 years or so.

5. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I remember reading after the series "Enterprise", Paramount decided no more Star Trek TV series.

6. OldDirtyBot

OldDirtyBot ODB

Its called money, if they think they can make it they will put anything on TV. And no matter how much they loose in TV advertising\ratings, they make it + more back in DVD sales of anything with the words Trek on it. Especially now with the free hype from the movie.

My guess is they would launch something to tie into the 2nd or 3rd movie, since any successful movie these days HAS to be a trilogy. I enjoy sequels as much as anyone but I miss the days when there was only one real trilogy, that other Star something.

I guess its not really that I love all the Trek movies and series, I've seen Insurrection at least 6 or 7 times and I know how BAD it is, but I am a sucker for anything Sci-Fi. Even bad sci-fi is better than no sci-fi.

7. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Retired Admln Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Handle):
    Pinterest:
    I would like to see something between the beginning of Generations and TNG. There is 80 years to play with there.

8. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

Voyager was a waste of a great concept. It pretty much ended with a hey we need a villian and the manatees selected the Borg every week. I also don't understate the hate for Enterprise. At least they tried something different and towards the end it was getting really good. People tend to forget that it took TNG and DS9 about 3 seasons to get rolling along into great shows they became.

That being said I think it will quite some time before we see another Star Trek television series. Networks don't give shows that amount of time to develop anymore. If it's not a hit past two or three episodes it'll be canned.

9. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I never cared for DS9 at first, until the Dominion saga and then it was good after that.

10. Nutcrusher

Nutcrusher Decepticon

News Credits:
    Yeah. And I didn't care for the prophet crap and all that either. Bah.

11. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    anyone remember the episode in TNG where there were these littles creatures controlling certain star fleet officers and in the end the mother host was killed by Riker & Picard, but not before sending a signal out? Did they ever do a follow up to that episode?

12. Nutcrusher

Nutcrusher Decepticon

News Credits:
    No one wants space worms as main villains.

13. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:

that doesnt answer nor address the question :thumb 

14. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

Yeah I remember that one. Where Picard and Riker both shot that guy in the chair and he exploded open with the main larva popping out. That was Great. No they never did follow up on that and would be nice to see again IMO.

15. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:

thats what I thought and it sucks that they didnt. To this day, I get chills from that episode because of the earie signal at the end while the camera just pans out to space.

16. Backpack

Backpack G1 forever.

A new Trek series? Why not?

My feeling is that people weren't sick of Star Trek... it was just boring and stagnent. I watched every series because frankly there is very little worth watching on TV. Plus I'm a sci-fi fan, so that pretty much gets me to sit through any show of that ilk. I'll say that from the start TNG was kind of bad, but it was fun just to have my own Trek series. As it went on though it actually got really good, and sometimes great.

Started watching DS9 because I just needed more Trek.... but I didn't really get into that series. So I stoped watching, except for an occasional episode. Later I caught all the ones I missed in re-runs on Sci-Fi (or some other station) and it seemed a little better when you could watch an episode a day.

Voyager I watched from begining to end... but it wasn't easy. There were a few eps I liked, but it was so filled with techno-babble that it drove me nuts. Nearly every problem seemed to be salved in a frantic brainstorming session between Jainway and the engineer (forget her name, it's been a long time)... hit a few buttons and problem solved. That got old fast. I'd love to see someone take a bunch of those clips and edit them together to make the longest techno-babble conversation of all time and put it up on youtube.

Enterprise lost me after season 2... and it was hard to get that far. I'd hoped it would be a much more interesting show being a prequal series.... but it's like they learned nothing from the manoteny of previous Trek series.

So a new show would be great.... as long as it's a good one.

17. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Voyagers problem was that whole tech issue thing exactly.

'We have a problem!'

'Reconfigure the main deflector dish with Sevens Nanoprobes!'

Problem solved.

Enterprise should have overcome this high tech story rubbish with all its low tech, but that sense of danger simply wasn't there. There was more danger in the first 10 minutes of the new Trek film than in the whole of Enterprise.

18. Nutcrusher

Nutcrusher Decepticon

News Credits:
    Don't be silly.

19. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    the engineneer on Voyager was B'Elanna Torres half human and half klingon

and id support a new series and i like the idea of it being set at StarFleet Academy going from ther arrival there til the granduate and perhaps on from there, would be a bit tricky to go too far after though as you would have to bounce b etween several ships as it would seem a bit strange for them all to get assigned to the same one

20. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

From Memory Alpha - The Star Trek wiki.
    According to Star Trek: The Next Generation Companion, the aliens and the homing signal the parasites began were originally supposed to lead in to what would become the Borg, who would be an insectoid race and the parasites be a first wave, but budgetary reasons made them into cyborgs instead.

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Conspiracy_(episode)