STAR TREK: The Game - Official Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Josh, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
  2. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    haw

so this games out now. picked it up last night.

played a couple chapters so far and its kinda neat. the games not amazing, definitely not without its faults, but im enjoying it. its star trek so :p 

anybody else nab this? would love to do some co-op
    [seeing as how thats what this game was kinda designed around]

3. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    Considering it. Keep me posted. I'm a bit jaded as I was an AVID Starfleet Command Player (I was a tester for 2, Orion Pirates and 3) so I hope this is actually good

4. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    ah starfleet command <3

those were the days!

5. Puck Hockey

Puck Hockey flip flap flip flap

Saw this on PSN, but was very wary. I too would like to know how the game is.

6. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

I've seen a couple videos of it on youtube. Looks like a decent enough game from what I've seen of it. Too bad there isn't a Wii version...

7. DroidsBane

DroidsBane Bonkles FTW

so is the game worth a new purchase or should I wait for the price drop

8. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    Can't say I've played enough of it to give a fully informed opinion. Just played the first couple chapters so far. (Works been keeping me busy)

So far I like it. There's some little graphical glitches here and there but for the most part the game looks okay. I quite like the kirk/spock likenesses. Some of the others are a little more dubious in their accuracy but the voices of the actual movie cast certainly help. (Though uhuras performance sounds pretty phoned in and like she's just bored the whole time). It plays decent enough as well. The "platforming" stuff is a maybe a little stiff. I get the sense that the game is gonna have a little sprinkling of everything judging by the trailer. 3rd person action with a little but of platforming with a little bit of puzzle solving with a LITTLE bit of mass effect with a little bit of aerial combat

The story is very much in the same vein as the movie. Very fast paced and action-y. Lots of movie-ish 'SURPRISE! Oh no how do we get out of this situation that's just sprung up outta nowhere' kind of a thing.

Its obviously centered around kirk/spock thus co-op play is encouraged but not required. Tho I can see it being more fun with a partner but that may just be me. I like playing games with friends. Shared experience and all. You can play online or split-screen it seems. Haven't tried either tho.

The game ist anything revolutionary but being star trek and seeing as I actually like the movie-verse its pretty neat. I'd love to be able to explore the whole ship and kinda do wish there was a star trek game that was a bit more like mass effect in that you're in your ship, free to explore and move about and interact with characters until you feel like playing out story missions but all in a star trek-y sorta way, but maybe that's just me. This is still fine and maybe once I get into the game a little more it'll open up a tiny bit more? I'm not holding my breath though. They seem to be going for that fast paced high octane action movie sorta feel that wants to keep you moving so.

I dunno! Just my thoughts so far. Is it a rush out and get it? Probly not. Depends how much you like Trek and if you have money to spend. I really doubt it'll tie too heavily into the next movie so you won't be missing any narrative enhancing tie in, more of an 'adventure the crew went on in the time inbetween,' which is fine by me. I like it well enough!

9. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

If you were to compare it to Fall of Cybertron or War For Cybertron how would it stack up?

Also, what system you on? Depending on finances I might be able to get it soon for the 360 and would be down for some co-op.

10. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    I've got it on xbox!

to compare it to the "-cybertron" games though. hmmmm..... i dunno. i mean the differences between trek and TF is so different.

Its not a perfect Star Trek game by any stretch. but I like what they're doing. More time and polish/maybe a better studio [cuz these guys have been working on this for quite awhile havent they? and it still just kinda is what it is] and it could make for a good template to build from.

If you dont like the JJ Abrams Trek then you probably wont like this game, because its very much 'like that'

11. a person

a person Is not amused.

News Credits:
    Star Trek plays similar to how I imagine a Mass Effect game would play like if the developers were given a five month development cycle. It's a terrible game in so many ways.