Star Trek question.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DrGrim, Aug 19, 2007.

1. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    So the wife and I have been getting into the original series of Star Trek because it airs late at night, so we decided to obtain all 10 of the Trek movies and watch them all in order. I'm currently a little confused about the time span in the Star Trek films. Can anyone help me?

In Star Trek VI, we see Warf of TNG acting as Kirk's "lawyer."
    In Star Trek TNG, I hear that there is an episode where Spock makes an appearance.
    This says that not THAT much time has gone by between the original series and the Next Generation, since that crews have crossed paths.
    But the continuity error I have found lies in Star Trek VII - or just Generations. We see Kirk's crew, then we flash forward 78 years to Picard's crew. This is made even more confusing since we see Whoopi Goldberg's character and Malcolm McDowell's character in Kirk's era and then existing exactly as they were in Picard's era - supposedly in a 78 year time span.

Are there any Trekkies on the boards that can help me figure this out?

By the way, killing Kirk in Generations was crap.

2. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree that killing Kirk was crap.

Anyways, I don't recall them showing Whoopi in Kirks time, or McDowell's characters in Kirk's time. But the timespan is about 80 years ahead, and you can live in the Nexus however long you want. They also say that Vulcons can live some odd 100's of years, so maybe the same can be said for other alien characters in the series when it suits them. McDowell and Whoopi were both not human.

3. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Kirk's ship beamed Whoopi and McDowell out of the Nexus and onto the Enterprise, and in that 80 year period McDowell was doing all he could to find his way back to the Nexus and Whoopi just kind of stuck around ships called the Enterprise, I guess.

I suppose the alien life spans would be another way to sort of explain it. I'm still rather confused.

4. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Now that you mention it, I do recall them getting beamed out, just didn't remember when. I still suppose there reasoning is alien lifespans. Still, Generations really was by far not the best piece of Star Trek fiction. It often doesn't turn out good when they try to mix "main characters" together from different series, especiall with shallow reasoning like this. Well, in my humble opinion anyways.

5. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Also, that wasn't Warf acting as Kirk's lawyer. It was the same guy that played Warf and he was in pretty much the same make-up, but he was a different character. At the time, I don't think they planned to cross the two shows in a movie.

6. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Trek junkie here.

It was the same actor (Michael Dorn) that plays Worf playing a grandfather of Worf's. This accounts for the resemblance. If you watch TNG all the way through, in order, you'll find out why the Khitomer Accords were so important, and why Spock appears in the show. Vulcans live for hundreds of years, just to throw you a bone.

7. j3

j3 Hampton Yount is my Crow T. Robot TFW2005 Supporter

Colonel Worf in STVI I believe to be fanonicaly Mogh's father, hence Worf of TNG's grandfather. I can't recall if that's official though.

As for Guinan and Soran, they are both El-Aurian and we know they don't age much. We saw Guinan on Earth during Mark Twain's era in Time's Arrow, after all.

edit: after a little research, Worf's grandfather thing seems to be canon, and was to be mentioned in "Unification" by Spock, but didn't make it.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2007
  8. emo_transformer

emo_transformer Well-Known Member

hey not on tha subject but on the 4th star wars movie on of the white soliders ..um dosen't one of them , um hit their head on the door or sumthing???

9. KnightSaberAmi

KnightSaberAmi Nyan Nyan

If you really want to start having some fun with the time traveling there was also an episode of DS9 where the characters of that show also went back to Kirk's time.

10. Skor

Skor I HATE U TRASH MONSTAAAR! TFW2005 Supporter

Goddamn Tribbles!

One thing that bugged me that I could never be bothered to look up...

The Excelsior had Transwarp drives, as seen in STIII. Was this technology abandoned? Or are the warp engines of the Galaxy class ships actually slower than an engine invented some 50 years previously?

11. KnightSaberAmi

KnightSaberAmi Nyan Nyan

:lol  now you're starting to ask some really deep questions I would have to ask my brother that one...But I would have to say no as I believe that the warp engines in Picard's time were faster than those of Kirk. Another point to ponder (now that you reminded me of the Excelsior) is that the Borg were capable of Transwarp, isn't it funny though that Picard's team and Janesway's team always seemed to borrow it from the Borg. Makes you also wonder how the Borg got a hold of it. There are alot more people that are more Trek tech savvy on this board than me though.

12. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Retired Admln Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Handle):
    Pinterest:
    While not established in Cannon, It's excepted that Transwarp was deemed a failure and abandoned. The Excelsior was refitted with standard Warp Drive. Also non-cannon is the Yorktown (Enterprise-A) was also a testbed for Transwarp Drive (Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise) The Warp scale was re-written in TNG and warp 10 in TNG is about warp 15 in TOS/Movies

13. Keiichitron

Keiichitron Not a physicist, dammit

Ebay:
    I also like how warp scale had to have been rewritten again, as the epsiode "All Good Things..." shows the Enterprise-D (three-nacelle version) speeding off at Warp 13...

14. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

I miss the D.

15. Keiichitron

Keiichitron Not a physicist, dammit

Ebay:
    i actually like the look of the E... what i miss is the quality writing that made up TNG. Enterprise cut me and rubbed lemon juice in the wound

16. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:

It was awesome seeing Kirk bite it ! Vulcans and Whoopi's alien race can live for hundreds of years, thats why Spock makes an appearance in TNG an Whoopi is seeing all the way from Mark Twains time in one episode to Kirk's time in the Generations movie to TNG time

17. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

For all the slanging it gets, Generations is the best of the odd numbered films IMO.

Granted the Kirk stuff is contrived and a bit lame, but its otherwise a decent and well entertaining film with great cinematography. I can't say all three of those about any of the other odd films, especially Final Frontier and Motionless Picture.

18. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    Captain on the bridge, bridge on the captain.

19. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:

I really liked 3 - Search for Spock. I was really surprised to see Christopher Lloyd in it as a Klingon.

20. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

I'm a Trek fan, but I don't think I would make it watching all the movies again, especially in succession from beginning to end.

Star Treks I, III, V and IX are way too dull to bother with. Generations wasn't that bad, and altogether the STNG cast made some decent films. Though I remember shedding a tear when the script for Insurrection leaked. You couldn't read that and convince anybody that the movie was going to eventually turn out to be good. And it wasn't.