Star Trek original series question

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by kidnicky, Jan 17, 2011.

1. kidnicky

kidnicky Well-Known Member

Why is it that when you're "beamed down" from the transporter room,you need to stay on the little circle on the floor? It must be important since Spock physically moves the 60's air force guy onto the circle in "Tomorrow is Yesterday." When they aren't on the ship,they can be beamed from anywhere,and sometimes they beam from/onto the bridge. (at least in TNG they do,not sure about Original.)

So,does anyone know?

2. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke A Man, Who Does Not Exist. TFW2005 Supporter

Long story short, the Transporters in TOS were kind of an afterthought since Roddenberry's original plan was to use shuttles for travel..

but to explain in a little technojargin, the targeting scanners inside of the ship were probably only on the pads, where the external ships sensors were used for out of ship targeting..
    I never saw a place where it was really explained in detail how the internal ship wide beaming worked in TNG

tbh though, I never focused much on the intricacies of transporters, I was always a weapons system and ship design kinda technerd:lol 

3. kidnicky

kidnicky Well-Known Member

I never really noticed or cared about it until yesterday when I saw that ep and you clearly see Spock move the guy onto the circle.

4. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke A Man, Who Does Not Exist. TFW2005 Supporter

Better safe than sorry when it comes to transporting, as you can guess, not being transported whole.. never ends well:lol 

5. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    In the beginning of TNG they made a point to call out the abnormality of a Point to Point transport rather than a site to pad transport, making it seem as if it was something special. Also, transport accidents still were a thing that happened into TOS movie time frame, so keeping variables out of the equation is still going to be a good thing.