Star Trek Original Series on BluRay Discussion

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Prowl, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ok, so I'm not going to post for EVERY bluray that comes out, but judging from our interests in this board, I thought some might be interested in this.

Also tomorrow (or next week, I forget which) all of the Trek movies come out on BR in a packaged deal.

Edit for Value: Best Buy has this series for 64.99. I asked the guy at BB if the website reflected the in-store price, and he said, even if it didn't they would price-match themselves.

2. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

Will probably wait a bit (I still have the original DVDs) for the price to come down, or at least for a Deep Discount sale (they have 2 each year), but these should be sweet.

I've just picked up the LOST BR's from Amazon. Use the code "LostBlus" to get $10 off each set.

3. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

I don't see the point on getting the whole series on blu-ray what's the incentive over up converting DVDs here? The original series was shot in 480i.

4. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Some ;) 

5. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Will be getting this when price drops, I borrowed the DVDs rather then buying them and its time I owned the show.

The original versions being on the disc seal the deal, the HD-DVD release made me worry that it'd only ever be available in HD with the CGI bullshit.

No sale on the movies yet througth, you can gaurentee that they'll be out again in a couple of years with the extended and directors cuts.

TOS was shot on 35mm.

6. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's how I feel. I've been watching borrowed copies, so it's time to pay my dues, and I really think this is the time for me to buy them. I wanted them on DVD, but I waited to see what was happening with the HD versions. I can't wait for tomorrow.

I don't really mind the CG in TOS, so long as the originals are available. And the reason is because they didn't try to make the Enterprise look like the 1980's movie version. They just polished. Hell it even flies the same weird lopsided way in the intro. Doesn't bother me much, but I would like to have to originals.

7. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Fixed that for you.

Also, the original 6 movies come out on May 12. I am eager to see what the reviews are on those.

8. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I actually want the version with the updated CGI. Will the BluRay have that?

9. Emperor Mengde

Emperor Mengde Instrumentalist

Luckily for everyone here, the Blu Ray has both the original and updated effects, and you can choose to watch either.

I'm considering this set, but like many here will likely wait for a price drop. Definitely need to own the series though, all I have are ancient tapes I made from tv.

10. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I saw the first 6 movies on bluray at deepdiscount.com for only like $84. Are they not gonna offer the next generation movies?

11. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

The Doomsday Machine new effects were great. Made a great story even better.

12. iron maniac

iron maniac Help Uncle Sixshot, Help!

News Credits:
    hmmm....
    With both versions on there, I might consider it.

13. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Best Buy has 15 bucks off if you buy the combo of TOS and the movies on BR, I just have enough for one, and seeing as how I own all the movies on DVD, I can afford to wait a bit. I can't wait to pick these up.

14. Optimus1986

Optimus1986 TMNT & Hulk Fanatic

Why not just a standard DVD release at a reasonable price?

15. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Because I have a bluray player, and the DVD set is 69.99 at Best Buy and the BluRays are 64.99. So if the option for HD is there...... Hell season 2 on DVD is 99.99.

16. Optimus1986

Optimus1986 TMNT & Hulk Fanatic

That's why I was asking (to no one in particular I might add) why they couldn't release it at a reasonable price. This price gouging is ridiculous.

17. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well I totally agree that 100 bucks is a lot, but I'm not complaining about 60-70 bucks for an HD season. Sure I'd prefer 40, but Star Trek has always been overpriced, which is why I welcome the 65 bucks price tag, especially when seasons of ST go for 130 bucks in some places.

18. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Reviews are stating that the extra disc space on the blu-ray was used to the fullest. They've cleaned up the softness of the picture compared to the HD-DVD release creating a new master for it. Also, they allow you to watch the CGI versions with pop-ups showing the differences between the cgi and non-cgi versions. That might make it worth a purchase for me alone.

19. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm going to best buy in 15 minutes, to get mine. I didn't know that about the extras. This is going to be one of the better BR purchases I have made, along side Transformers and Sin City..... oh and Firefly.

edit: Just picked it up at BB. 70 bucks. Not bad, and yeah, you can switch between enhanced and old school, complete with mono track.

20. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

The gouging on Star Trek season sets didn't work over here, online retailers discounted the shit out of them and Paramount eventually gave up and re-released them as cheap thinpacks. I think I paid about 40% of actual RRP for my original release TNG sets.