Star Trek Online

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Gryph, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Zeta Otaku

Zeta Otaku Who ya gonna call? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Everything comes in white (common), green (uncommon), blue (rare), purple (very rare) and a few other colors that are for Super Rare and Epic/Legendary apparently (I took a LONG break until just this week and the last one is new)

2. cyberpredicus

cyberpredicus Well-Known Member

I agree 100% with you Alpha Omega Trion Supreme.

3. Zathras

Zathras Vive le Quebec Libre

is the Agents of Yesterday expansion available on console, allowing you to create a 23rd century captain like the pc version?

4. Alpha Omega Trion Supreme

Alpha Omega Trion Supreme One of the longest handles in the fandom!

Ebay:
    Ok, I poured a LOT of time into this over the weekend on PS4. I finished the Klingon War missions as the Federation and I have to say that this might be the best Star Trek video game I have ever played. I've played a lot of Star Trek games over the years for many different consoles, and enjoyed most of them. But none of them have presented such a complete Star Trek universe experience like this has. I'm not saying its a perfect game. Heck no. There are a lot of issues, especially with the ground combat. But because of how it handles the Star Trek universe, the game feels like more than the sum of its parts.

If you are a Star Trek fan, you really do need to check this out. Give it some time though. It really is overwhelming at first, and I still don't yet understand all of it despite all the time I have in so far. However, you really don't need to understand it all to enjoy and play the single player story missions of which there seems to be a lot of free content. There are a TON of references and its clear the people that made this really did their homework.

Oh, and just a head's up, when naming your vessel they won't let you use the number registry "80085" for your ship. :D  Although they did let me use the number "7734"...

5. Zeta Otaku

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There's a TON of love in the game and I've had a blast with it since it came out. I'm tempted to start ANOTHER new character and start fresh without all the old rewards and legacy gadgets I've collected over the years (bought a lifetime subscription way back when and it paid for itself after 2 years). I'm not sure how it is on consoles, but there are two different styles you can play ground combat on PC... one where it's more 3rd person shooter, and another where it's a more traditional MMO. I think it's pretty cool they included the Kelvin Timeline Constitution class in the game... finally, the people who have been wanting an end game Constitution class since the beginning got their wish granted! (also, it really illustrates how much larger that Enterprise is compared to the classic one).

My favorite part of the game is how they got as many Star Trek actors to reprise their roles (Nimoy used to narrate a small description of new sectors of space you'd travel to way back in the day) and how they bring back some REALLY obscure references... remember those parasites that tried to take over the Federation in TNG? Yeah...

• Like Like x 1
  6. cyberpredicus

cyberpredicus Well-Known Member

Do they not have anomalies in the PS4 version yet? I keep scanning for them but it always says nothing is found.

7. Alpha Omega Trion Supreme

Alpha Omega Trion Supreme One of the longest handles in the fandom!

Ebay:
    I have a Saurian tactical officer that I have equipped with a bat'leth. I want to focus on making him melee centered. During my last away mission against True Way cardassians, he was getting downed left and right. I'm looking at his equipment and noticing that I have him equipped with armor/shields/weapons that are ranked higher than his rank. ie: He's a commander and I have him equipped with captain equipment. The game is telling me these items are for captains by having "Captain" in red text when I equip them on him, but the game is still letting me equip him with these items. Is this a bug? Should it not let me equip these items? Or is it letting me equip these items but also giving me a penalty for doing so which may be why his melee is awful. I can't promote him any further than commander.

I know it could be other reasons that he's not doing well with melee, but I'm wondering if he's equipped with items that aren't at 100% compatibility/functionality. I've been in the habit of giving my bridge officers my hand-me-downs, but now I'm wondering if my admiral status is going to gimp them by doing so. My google searches haven't been turning up any answers. Anybody know?

8. Zeke1

Zeke1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sorry to necro an old thread but I just got this game for the first time from Steam and when I try to launch it it wanted to link my Steam account to something called an ARC account. I did some googling and everyone said that the way around that is to launch STO from the .exe file on my machine. I tried that but still got a Gearbox popup asking me to login/create an ARC account. What's the work around for this?

9. Zeta Otaku

News Credits:
    Ebay:

I'm not sure you can anymore. I've been playing on and off since the game launched and it only got harder and harder to just run the game by itself that when I recently installed it, I didn't bother. I just log in, alt tab out, and close the Arc launcher.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Zeke1

Zeke1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks for that. Now if I can figure out how to get the patches/updates for it. It seems Steam insists on downloading those files to my C drive which doesn't have enough space, instead of my D drive where everything is stored including the game and the Steam app itself and has PLENTY of space. I don't even understand how Steam knows about my C drive considering that, in my settings, I only told it about the D drive.

11. Zathras

I never used the Arc Launcher, as i have the original launcher from Cryptic when the game came out.

Still works

12. Zeke1

Zeke1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ended up uninstalling it because no matter what I did Steam refused to install the patches anyplace except my C drive which has limited space and is dedicated to the OS.
    Maybe I'll come back to it in the future if Steam ever fixes this problem. But since I'm seeing posts on Steamcommunity going back like 4 years from people reporting this issue I'm not holding my breath.

13. Zathras

Why get it on Steam? You can get the game directly from Star Trek Online

14. Zeke1

Zeke1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This link is trying to install that same Arc content that Steam/Gearbox tried to push. What is it?

15. Zathras

A Few years ago, Cryptic made a new Launcher called Arc for their games, regrouping games like STO and Neverwinter into a single launcher app.

The only way not to use Arc would be to have the original install files on disc like i have.

Even if you launch from Steam, it will launch Arc.