Star Trek Online

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Gryph, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    It's back and being made by Cryptic! I just hope they keep some of the ideas from the original concept. Stuff like having starships full of PCs, and the FPS away missions were all really awesome. Hopefully they don't go the "everyone's a captain" route. Then it would just be EVE Online with Star Trek.
    Official site.

Be sure not to miss the contest going on right now. You can win a lifetime subscription. You have until the 17th to sign up.

2. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Done and done, although I can't enter the actual sweepstakes cos I'm not an American.

3. Kando

Kando Well-Known Member

Hmm, it's sounding like everyone will be a captain going by what is said in the "About Star Trek Online" section.

4. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Yeah, I've been reading. If it's true, I'll be sad. I don't understand why they would completely change it like that. People were getting really excited about it. Star Trek has always been about crew interaction. Not flying around space by yourself.

5. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

I think the problem with PC crews is that too many people will be stupid redshirts and hate it and you'll end up with something similar to the early days of Star Wars Galaxies where pretty much the entire game is "run" by too few players (in that case the merchants and crafters) and while a lot of people loved that, it wasn't exactly condusive to a competitive MMO environment.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to be a stupid redshirt, but a lot of people play these things to feel cool and do cool stuff, not to get bossed around by yet another douchebag on a powertrip like they do from 9-5.

6. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    You forget, we're talking about Star Trek here. Most of the people who'd want to play a ST MMO would want to do that.

7. Kando

Kando Well-Known Member

Watching the webcast on the website now. So far, it isn't sound too bad, even with the everyone is a captain formula.

8. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    gotta admit that looks pretty tight

i've been wondering when there'd be an update on this thing. taking 'em forever xD

9. McBradders

But that's a percentage of a percentage of a percentage of people, and when you're trying to stay afloat in an already super crowded, sewn-up environment of pay-to-play MMO's you need to be hitting as many buttons as possible with as many people as possible, not just Trekkies willing to pay $15 a month in order to live out their cosplay fantasies online.

10. AutobotMarine

AutobotMarine Banned

Ebay:
    Graphics looks pretty nice, but most of the latest ST games suck major balls, just look at Star Trek Legacy.... I played the game for the PC, not only did it suck; but it was infested with bugs bombarding me left and right while I was playing.

11. transmetropolitan

transmetropolitan nonjon TFW2005 Supporter

"Chainsaw, 62 links"

*replicator noise*

12. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    I'm not so mad about that anymore. The away missions are what I'm really annoyed with. I really wish they hadn't made them point and click. The FPS idea was perfect.

13. McBradders

If it runs anything like CoH (which, by god it should because the combat in that game is -still- the best MMO combat out there) I would be super awesome happy. I think FPS mechanics change it from what Star Trek is primarily about (exploration and science) to a shitty twitch game. Yes, there is room, but I'd kinda like to pootle around and collect plants and chat up alien chicks with 6 boobs than have crazy ass wars going on everywhere. I'd rather the combat be more about ship to ship stuff. Wow, I'm actually pretty hyped about this :( 

14. Shipley

Shipley No Topic Required

News Credits:
    I'm really excited about this, and for the record I'm looking forward to being a captain. You'll be able to recruit a bridge crew of NPCs to your liking, and then join up with your friends in their own ships to form fleets. you won't just be running around alone in space.

I think Star Trek is a perfect fit for an MMO and I'm glad this is finally going to happen. I don't play MMOs, and I have a Mac, which won't be a lead platform. I'll probably buy a PC to make this happen.

15. McBradders

Can't you just run bootcamp if your Mac is almost modern?

16. Caterwaul

Caterwaul Busou Shinki Loremaster

Is it going to let you sex up hot, green skinned slave girls? :D 

I want to see how ship to ship combat is going to look like/play in finished form before I decide on anything.

17. Keiichitron

Keiichitron Not a physicist, dammit

Ebay:
    resurrecting this because i played the demo at PAX 2009. i was quite happy with it. talked to a developer, he showed me a few easter eggs as a way of saying "hey, we're trek fans too". they had a little hidden area full of tribbles and a cowering science officer (the level they made for PAX had the Guardian of Forever in it.

18. McBradders

Cool, man! Glad to hear something positive from a genuine hands on. There's been a fair amount of talk about it of late and it sounds great from all accounts. Did they give a release window?

19. Keiichitron

Keiichitron Not a physicist, dammit

Ebay:
    i was truly surprised they had something playable, as i've heard lots of talk but that's it. i've been following the game as much as i could, hoping for a good Trek game for once. i like the direction they went with a lot of the stuff.

no release date, but they opened signups for the closed beta, so make sure to go to their website and register for the chance.

20. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    I would imagine they are looking at around the end of 1st quarter, 2010. It sure would be nice if they'd just mention a target time frame.