Star Trek: Into Darkness

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by OmarJT82, Feb 24, 2012.

1. bookwormdalek

bookwormdalek Gotta get a grip

To be honest, I freaking loved it. It so very much surpassed my expectations that it takes 4 on my Trek list. It may not be the best, and it does have its flaws, but there have been much worse, and even the good movies had their flaws.

2. MCRex

MCRex Well-Known Member

I like the first movie better, but not by much. This one was awesome!

3. NSJ23

NSJ23 Binalternator Lover

Into Darkness is still the movie i enjoyed seeing the most this summer, and even if i hated it, it's no where near as bad as TNG movies

4. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    I'm not denying that his response is quite impulsive, and 'it made money so booyah' is not a real argument. It's kind of painful to see him say that, as it instantly undermines anything else he tries to say.

Still, voting this movie to be the worst of them all is incredibly petty. There are a couple of 'original' Star Trek movie that are much, much worse than Into Darkness - would these somehow get a free pass simply because they aren't made by Abrams?

I'm a Star Trek fan. Admitted, not the biggest one out there, but I have watched, and greatly enjoyed Next Generation, Voyager, all of the movies, and then the fair share of TOS, Enterprise and DS9 episodes.

I also love Star Trek 2009. I didn't like Into Darkness as much, as I think it does a couple of big things wrong, mostly script issues and a poor character choice (half of this movie seems like Wrath of Khan fanwank).

So..am I not a 'true' fan or something? Should I get incredibly angry and pissy about all the things they did wrong, while totally ignoring all the things they did right? Because for every scientifically inaccurate depiction of how a starship works (or anything they got wrong), there are like ten throwbacks or nods, visual or audible, that show that the people working on it knew what they were doing, and love the material. If not Abrams (who admitted he didn't know much about Trek before), then definitely the writers, and lots of people around them involved.

Abrams' Star Trek movies are Star Trek, and have just as much right to exist and be counted alongside the outers, just like all the previous Star Trek material.

Don't like the new Trek? Perfectly fine. I've seen many valid reasons why one wouldn't like it. :) 
    On the other hand, I've also seen people simply dislike it because the hip kids have ran with it and it's no longer their private hobby. There's definitely a lot of underlying anger and sour feelings. Hurt feelings, even.

Pegg's comparison to an indie band breaking through is actually not that far off, even if the rest of his argument is impulsive and simple.

But that's not true. Bayformers is as valid a Transformers iteration as any other Transformers series not made by Michael Bay.

The main problems is with people treating it as if it's somehow the only thing to follow up on G1, not being aware / not caring about all of the different iterations in between 1986 and 2007. Therefore it has to be like G1 to some of them, which it isn't.

On the other hand there's, again, the fans who feel that their hobby has been dealt some kind of injustice, because now the mass public will forever associate Transformers with juvenile humor and Shia LaBeouf (and they know that there's so much more to the franchise than that).

Personally, I think ROTF & DOTM sucked all kinds of balls, and yeah, I am saddened that what I think is Transformers has been dumbed down - but I can't ever deny that Bayformers is just another Transformers entry. It just happened to be a blockbuster movie franchise, so logically it's attracted more people than the tv-shows.

The Abrams Star Trek movies are actually a lot more considerate to their source material than Bayformers to Transformers.

Just my opinion, as you can see I disagree with you, heavily. I DO agree however, that it's incredibly stupid to attack all of Star Trek that has come before as something that sucks ass, as a seperate thing, and treating the new ones as solid gold by new 'fans', as in the post you quoted. That's definitely not a fan.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  5. sh002

sh002 Banned

Got the 3 disc Target Blu-ray version for free.

6. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Rewatching this, I've gotta say, favorite movie of the summer.

7. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    Yup, out of all the big budgety summer popcorn action blah blah blah flicks like Superman Begins (hehe), Pacific Rim, Iron Man 3, The Wolverine, etc., STID is hands down my favorite even despite its numerous flaws. Visually, it's just beyond f*cking stunning. Fun story, good pacing, awesome acting again, and Benedict Cumberbatch simply existing in it = all pure win.

8. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was disappointed that there was no JJ commentary, no gag reel, no deleted scenes, nothing in that nature

9. sh002

sh002 Banned

The Target Blu-ray version comes with a 3rd special features disc.

10. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    The 3D Blu Ray comes with some extras.

11. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Bullshit. Transformers is PROOF that people hate things because they are suddenly more popular. Plenty of people bitched that it was *their* thing and that they were here before the general public, so why shouldn't it cater to just them and so on. Plenty of people dislike things becoming popular because they're fucking hipsters without a clue.

The TF movies and Star Trek movies are proof that a wider, public audience was needed to keep the momentum going. Fans, while a large number, are a drop in the bucket compared to oh, say... THE WORLD. People all over the world have spoken and they enjoy these films.

If the selfish hipster fans can't get to a place of being okay with this, then that's their problem.

The changes, while not all being perfect, did make for good business and were certainly not the worst things ever. People bitched about John Cho being Korean instead of Japanese and said "Harold's gonna be a shitty Sulu! WTF were they thinking?!" and then people saw it and were all like "Oh." and even George Takei himself gave the performance his seal of approval.

And Pegg was right. I'd high five the man if ever given the chance.

They most certainly are Star Trek films. The cast might be different people, but the characters are pretty much the same. (Spock and Uhura are the most notably changed.) The fans are wrong. I've been watching Star Trek since I was very, very little. (3) TOS, TNG, even Voyager and Enterprise, not to mention every single film that came out. Hell, I even went to see Generations in a theater. First (and last) time seeing an original 'verse flick theatrically. Point is, I'm a fan. For a long time, and these movies didn't bother me in the slightest. In fact, they strengthened my love for Trek and have gotten me to rewatch even the shittiest episodes of TNG. If anything, these have rekindled my love for Trek, not destroyed it.

It was even stated in the first film that this is a different time line, right out of Spock's mouth. It didn't destroy the original, it still exists in another time line. Both universes live right now. To those of us who know how to enjoy it, we love both and have fun with both. To those of us who can't, well...I feel immense pity.

And Transformers fans do not hate the movies. I'm a fan, have been since '84, and the movies only strengthened my love for Transformers. (Although, they did help me hate G1 even more than I had before.)

Changes are necessary for the general public to grasp it. I can't even imagine how many times Patrick Stewart and Jonathon Frakes broke down laughing because they couldn't utter "space/time continuum" yet one more time with a straight face. Or Theleron Radiation. For goodness sakes, who in the hell could take themselves seriously saying that shit? The general public sure can't. Hell, I'm tired of hearing stuff like that.

No, the general audience was NOT too dumb for Star Trek. Star Trek took ridiculous jargon, high handed messages and impossible relations (I.E. happy cohabitation between different races) and tried to take itself seriously. Way too seriously. The general public couldn't take it as seriously as it did itself. It also didn't help that Roddenberry was pushing a message and an ideal that didn't work at the time. 1960's? Equality among races? Nope. An Atheist agenda in the 1960's? Nope. (He's entitled to his opinion, but he chose a horrible time in which to push it.)

The Next Generation was even worse with all of this. While we had better race relations, it certainly wasn't perfect. Still isn't, sadly. The jargon got even worse, Riker's swagger put Kirk's to shame, and the whole "don't believe in the supernatural" thing was crammed down people's throats. For some, sure, I'm thinking it went over their heads, but for most? Just too friggin' silly.

And the fans are pissed because they let this shit consume them. They have NOTHING else to do. I could waste my life and nitpick every damned thing to come along in TF throughout the years. For what purpose? What good reason do I have? So, instead I enjoy it and have fun. If something doesn't work for me, then I skip it altogether. (G1, Rescue Bots, Beast Machines.)

Honestly, Insurrection felt more like a theatrically released episode than a movie, but I still enjoyed the experience. Wasn't perfect by any means, but certainly had some entertainment value.

Impulsive? Sure. You'd be too, if you poured your blood, sweat and tears into this, only to have people shit all over your work because they can't get past the basement door and shave their necks. A bunch of people whining and complaining over some movies that will NEVER affect their lives, will NEVER change a damn thing for them or about them? Yeah, that would piss me off, too.

Abrams gets a raw deal on a lot of things. My issues weren't with him, or his oft mentioned lens flare. My issues were with Orci & Kurtzman. I swear they cannot come up with anything original. And their fixation on recurring themes. WTF?

Star Trek:
    Kirk couldn't fight.
    Went over the edge when crashing his stepfather's Corvette.
    Kept hanging onto ledges at various points during the film.

(I'm sure they were trying to make a point, or at least I hope they were...)

Into Darkness:
    Kirk couldn't fight. (Khan was too powerful.)
    Kept dangling off of shit, hanging on for dear life. (Seriously? AGAIN?!)

That's not an Abrams problem, and he shouldn't be held accountable for shit like that.

12. FoC Grimlock

FoC Grimlock Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, Kirk couldn't fight in the original series either. That was part of the character. He just kind of made it by courage, being ungodly stubborn and having capable friends with good timing. It's one of the most enjoyable things about him. Picard is the one who can fight 3 Klingons and win.

My personal thought is that actors and film industry folks who are not already a part of it should avoid the internet like the plague. It's an extremely vocal minority with elephant sized doses of mental illness and man-childishness that will just frustrate them and cause them to lash out like Orci did. I mean, if he posted something like that on a board where I saw him, I would have been one of 100's of people posting a "U Mad?" meme at him. If someone wants to keep it professional they should keep it off the internet.

13. Falconhood

Falconhood Harbinger of Apokalypse

I bought the TARGET 3-D BluRay set.
    I think all of the TARGET sets come with extras.

14. ArmadaJetfire

ArmadaJetfire <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

15. Falconhood

Falconhood Harbinger of Apokalypse

I'm watching the SPECIAL extras on the TARGET BluRay right now.

16. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I got mine at best buy there were extras but not the kind I like, no commentary, no gag reel, no deleted scenes did the target extra DVD have any of that? I've yet to hear what the target extras were.

17. sh002

sh002 Banned

13 featurettes and 3 theatrical trailers

18. MetalicGrunt

MetalicGrunt Rust Proof Commando

News Credits:
    Mirror universe Kirk doesn't count, LOL.

Perfect scene in which to describe Kirk- in Star Trek 4 when Bones, Spock, and Kirk and mountain climbing when he falls of the cliff,\

" I know I wouldn't die, i was with you two... I know I'll die alone " ( well with Picard at least)

Kirk's strength was anything but physical fighting skills, but the inclusion of everything into one character, the best of all worlds

19. bookwormdalek

bookwormdalek Gotta get a grip

It was five. Five had the mountain climbing scene. I know it was bad and we all blocked that one from our minds...but still. IMO, Kirk could still kick some serious ass, not alot, but he certainly wasn't weak. He was more of an average fighter.

20. MetalicGrunt

MetalicGrunt Rust Proof Commando

News Credits:
    Yup you were right..... now I can't get the dam Uhura dance scene out of my head.... Why did you let Shatner director Paramount?