Star Trek general discussion

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Ravenxl7, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    For anybody wondering, discussion about the Star Trek Kre-O line goes in this thread: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/toyark/545171-star-trek-kre-o.html

Basically I intend this thread to be a discussion of pretty much anything Star Trek toy/collectible that isn't Kre-O, so stuff like Playmates, Minimates, anything else Hasbro does, Hallmark, and Diamond Select.

Being a relative new-comer to the Star Trek franchise, I do not yet have a Star Trek collection. Well, I have one of those collectible glasses from the '09 movie (Nero to be specific), but I wouldn't call that a collection quite yet. A friend of mine knows where I can get the '09 Enterprise for cheap, so that'll probably be the first ship I get.

I'm tempted to get the DS Enterprise-B (assuming it actually gets released). I have no emotional attachment to it, and while this is certainly a stupid reason, the fact that the Captain of the B was played by Alan Ruck (aka Cameron in FBDO), has peaked my interest in the ship rather greatly. I also like the design of the ship, so it's not entirely because of that, lol...

While the Kre-O Enterprise looks great, I'm really hoping that Hasbro has a lot more than just Kre-O sets planned for next year. Action figures, role-play items, and a nice sized toy of the Enterprise would be nice. If they could get the diecast license away from Mattel, a line of Titanium ships would be great.

I don't think I'll be getting any of this year's Hallmark ornaments (If I get any, I'll get McCoy), but I'll definitely be getting next year's ship, as it's the USS Kelvin. I absolutely love the design of the Kelvin, and was disappointed to see that Playmates never made a toy of it. For those curious, the three pictures I've attached to this post are of the three ornaments Hallmark is doing for the 2013 Christmas season. In addition to the Kelvin, they are doing an ornament of Kirk's encounter with the Gorn, and an ornament of ToS Scotty.

Anyways, now that I've had my bit of a rant, I'll end this post. I hope that we'll be able to have some great discussions here. Even if we all don't agree on certain things. As I said, I'm relatively new to Star Trek, and wish to peacefully discuss it with fellow noobs like myself, those who have been around since the beginnings, and all those in-between.

Edit: For anybody wondering, the below link is where I found the pictures of the 2013 ornaments. There's also pictures of QMx's ships, DS's ships, more pics of the Kre-O ship, and some other Star Trek stuff...

http://trekmovie.com/2012/07/14/has...rk-show-off-new-star-trek-merch-at-sdcc-2012/

Attached Files:

2. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    You know you beat me to this? I was thinking of starting a Star Trek oriented thread just last night. I hope Hasbro does more than Kreo with the license too. Playmate did a good job back in the 90's (I have some of there stuff) but I think the went over board in the cost cutting area (figure wise) with the last movie. I love the Diamond Select stuff but they are expensive and they have a habit of low production runs and cancellations. Ship wise I have the DS Enterprise NX-01 and STWOK Enterprise and they are great. You can't find certain of their figures on Ebay. I have a limited Star Trek collection constisting of Playmates and Diamond Select.

I would like a larger DS collection but that's a problem. It may be more cost effective to collect more of the old playmates figures but they do seem a bit dated by today's standards. The cheapness of the old line is a huge plus though.

3. Sportimus

Sportimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've been collecting Hallmark Star Trek ornaments for about ten years now. What is coming out for 2012? I have the NCC-1701-A and NCC-1701 (2009 design) and both are great light-up ornaments. The quality has so far been very good. The only downside are Hallmark's prices.

I'm glad Playmates will no longer do Star Trek toys because they haven't been all that good in the past. I hope Hasbro does a much better job with both action figures and toy ships (hopefully they will make them).

I love Diamond Select Star Trek stuff. I wish they'd release the "B" and "E", and reissue the "A", "C", "D", and original series ships. I've been waiting FOREVER for them. I'd also like to see them make the new movie Enterprise as well.

4. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    :ev: 

I like some of the stuff they did for the '09 movie line. The enterprise could definitely be better, but I'll still probably get it when I get the chance to later this year (getting it for only fifteen bucks kinda helps). One thing I like about the 6" figures they did, was the rubber shirts. I really wish the 6" McCoy in his Enterprise uniform would have made it to retail...

A friend of mine has some DS ships. While I don't imagine I'll ever get more than two or three of them...ever, it would be nice to have at least one ship at that level of detail.

I've been thinking about getting some of the old Playmates stuff. Some of which I've seen can be bought for decently cheap.

This year they're doing the Enterprise-D (for TNG's 25th ann.), OS McCoy, and a recreation of the scene in the '09 movie where Spock met Spock Prime. I was originally tempted to get the D coming out this year, but the price is definitely why I'm not. I like the Kelvin's design enough for me to overlook the inevitably high price. I'll also probably get the inevitable '13 movie Enterprise when it's made (probably for 2014). I regret not getting the '09 movies Enterprise ornament.

While I don't imagine I would get a lot of figures, but if Hasbro does make some, I'll at least get a McCoy figure. I'm really hoping they do a good Enterprise with a stand that'll be able to display nicely with the Playmates one.

I'm really hoping that the B and E ships get released. Still not sure I would buy either one, but it would be nice to know that I would have the option to do so. Also, as much as I would love to see them tackle some ships from the new movies, I've heard that they're, for whatever reason, purposefully staying away from them. I'm not sure why, but that's what I've heard. Sad, but it's ultimately their loss.

5. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    I'm still kicking myself for not buying the Playmates First Contact Enterprise E when I saw it on clearance at TRU years ago. I'll be posting pics of my small Star Trek collection soon.

6. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Looking up pictures...that might be one of the ships a friend of mine has. Does it go for a lot these days?

Awesome. Looking forward to it.

7. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    Here is my small collection. Everything is pictured except my Diamond Select ST II TWOK Dr McCoy.

Attached Files:

8. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Very nice. It may be a small collection, but it's a nice one. If nothing else, you can at least say it's bigger than mine. All I've got is a cup, lol...

9. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    Thanks. I would really like to get the rest of the TWOK figures but they are hard to find these days. I also want Enterprise B,C, D ( I have a incomplete Playmates version of D) Klingon Bird of Prey. and the Playmates DS9 station. The playmates Voyager ship is hard to come by and costly I here.

10. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    I also have a old mego 8inch figure from 1974. I've always wished I had the 12 inch Mego Kirk from Star Trek The Motion Picture but I have yet to find affordable one. I do have the playmates Kirk TMP version. It's in the far left of the last pic.

Attached Files:

11. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

I've been a Trek fan before I clould even talk. I remember having the old Mego figures back in the day and I still have my Playmates collection (which is the only remnants of my once vast toy collection). I'll take and post pics later but I got the Enterprise D bridge, Engineering, Transporter and enough figures to fully crew all of that. Got the original series set as well as a decent amount of both Klingons and Borg.

I had the WOK Enterprise as well as the Enterprise D from DS. That D was the best Enterprise.... ever. They actually have a magnet in there for the separation so that the details underneath are intact. They actually have already made and released the Enterprise E (my local comic shop still has one). Not sure about B.

So, Playmates lost the movie license? I'm actually glad to hear this. Their complete ineptitude with the last movie is exactly the same kind of crap they started pulling at the end of their original run with the license and how I knew they'd screw it up again. Except this time they screwed it worse because while they expected everyone to buy everything in order to complete the sets, they never even released all of the figures to complete the pieces. At least Hasbro won't do that. I'm sure they'll screw up in other ways, but at least it'll be screw ups we're used to.

As for ornaments, I'll be getting all of them. I have a full set of all of them and will not break that. And... did I see someone mention the high prices on the ornaments? Really? They only retail for about 20-25$ tops and even then you can usually get them on clearance after the season ends. That's not really that high.

Anyway, great topic, I love talking about Star Trek and Star Trek toys. Hope this thread keeps going. Oh and OP, welcome to the Trek fandom!

12. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    Here are pics of my Enterprise D bridge. I've been a fan since the late 80's. I have over a hundred novels but as of now i don't own any complete series on DVD. I do have all of the movies though

Attached Files:

13. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    You're welcome. That's too bad about the Playmates Voyager ship being hard to find and expensive. I've never seen the show, but I like the design of the ship. Same goes for the DS9 station.

Cool. I doubt I'll ever get too much into the action figures, but I wouldn't mind getting a couple. I'll have to get at least one McCoy figure, as he's my favorite character.

Cool. It's nice to hear from someone who's been a fan for pretty much their entire life. I'm looking forward to seeing pics of what you've got.

A friend of mine has like...three or four versions of the E. Two made by Playmates, and at least one that was made by Diamond Select. I believe there is a Playmates version of the B, and there's a Micromachines version, but this one that's supposed to be coming out next January is the first DS version that I know of.

Playmates can do some great things when they really want to. I'm really digging what they're doing for the TMNT this year, but I can't say that much of the '09 line grabbed my attention while it was at retail. Then again, I wasn't really into Star Trek then...Yeah, Hasbro will definitely have some screw-ups, but they'll be different, and potentially not real big issues when all is said and done. Only major screw ups I can see them doing is 1. Not doing anything other than Kre-O, and 2. Even if they do non-Kre-O stuff, I could see them not doing a large sized Enterprise w/stand (like the one's Playmates has done in the past).

Well...they're high for me at least...for an ornament that is. The Enterprise-D they're doing this year is priced at $32.95, and while it's cool, rather detailed, and comes with a stand...that's a bit much to be paying for an ornament. Though in the D's case, I'm not a huge fan of it's design, so that doesn't help either. In the Kelvin's case, I'll probably put back some money for it just to make sure I can get it. I'd rather not risk not being able to get it on clearance after the holiday season. Maybe for one of this year's ornaments. McCoy is initially only fifteen bucks, and he's one ornament that will probably be easily available afterwards, so I might try and get him on clearance...

Thank you. I've had a great time with Star Trek so far, and look forward to the future of the franchise. I'm planning on watching each series completely and in-order. It'll take me a while, and there'll certainly be gaps between things, but it should be fun.

That's pretty cool. I recently rented a book titled "The Kobayashi Maru" by Julia Ecklar, and I'm enjoying it so far.

When it comes to DVD's...all I've got so far is the '09 movie (2-disk version). I almost bought the Target exclusive Enterprise packaging version. Would have been cool as a display piece, but I would rather have my DVD's in normal cases (I regret buying the Bumblebee packaging for RotF, and the weird lenticular box thing for HP:HBP as it is...).

I would love to one day own at least ToS and TNG completely on DVD, and all of the movies. Maybe the other shows as well one day, but ToS and TNG are my two main priorities when it comes to Star Trek DVD's.

Edit: Apparently Mattel is planning on continuing to use their license to make diecast Star Trek ships:

http://www.scalemodelnews.com/2012/06/incoming-star-trek-fans-stand-by-for.html
    I've seen some of their past stuff, and what I've seen is ok. Not sure if I'll get any thing they do. If they were to do Spock Prime's ship from the '09 movie, I would at least consider it. Especially if it was on the smaller side of things.

14. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've got several of the Diamond Select ships and they are ok. I would like something a little higher in quality (but not Quantum Mechanix high). My biggest disappointment is my NX-01 by Art Asylum, I can't even get the damn ship on the stand. But I still love them and they look good on display. I have a crap ton of the Diamond figures as well, all in a box somewhere, not sure where everything is these days as I focused on the ships.

Probably will get the B and the "All Good Things" Enterprise D at some point.

15. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

I've got a little bit of Star Trek stuff too, though most of it is Diamond Select.

I had their TWOK Kirk on preorder for so long that it really soured me on collecting more of their TNG line. Nice figures, but their release schedules aren't a whole lot better than the way Playmates handled the relaunch. They made most of the TWOK crew convention exclusives, which was very annoying, about as rage-inducing as when they shortpacked Q with a ton of Wesley Crushers. The TOS stuff didn't fare very well at Toys R Us but I blame them as much as Diamond. In fact, I think Art Asylum botched their Enterprise line by making Trip an exclusive too. What's so hard about getting 7-person ensembles out together?

My favorite is Dragon's Captain Picard that I got during a BBTS sale. I love 12" figures but they're always priced so high that I really have to cherry pick.

16. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    I agree about the SSTWOK figures. I actually want the DS Saavik (I have the PM version) but I can't find her anywhere. One of the pics is of the old Mego Star Trek The Motion Picture 3.45 figure playset. I wish i had it but the prices...

Attached Files:

17. transtrekkie

Those are some good pics of the Bridge.

Yeah, I hated the TNG Enterprise design at first as well. I thought it looked like someone had flattened the Enterprise. But, when I watched the show and saw it in action, I was hooked and it became my favorite. Especially the separation sequence.

I can see the price on the ornaments, especially if you're not that into them. I am looking forward to an updated TNG Enterprise, the previous one was missing so much detail. The small one designed to dock at the DS9 Station ornament had more detail. At first, I didn't care for the design of the Kelvin and it still kinda bugs me. Mostly (and welcome to the nitpicky part of the Trek fandom) because it violates the rules that Roddenberry came up with for warp drive. There were specific reasons why ships in the original series and everything else to date had always had an even number of nacelles it's because it doesn't work with only one. Granted, the new movie is a new timeline and a new universe so it's forgivable but yeah, intial reactions and whatnot.

The 2009 Playmates line really actually had potential and would have been a lot better if they had ever actually released wave 2. And therein lies my main problem with them: It's not the quality of the toys, it's the business practices. The original Playmates line started to piss me off when they made everything exclusive, limited edition and collector's edition. Like they were somehow trying to cash in on the aftermarket value of Trek merchandise. The problem is they wound up killing the aftermarket in the process (which is why so much of it is so cheap now). At one point, I had the entire set of their 9" line of figures. And some of those were expensive to get and in the end I wound up losing a LOT of money when I sold them. Collectors got pissed and didn't want to deal with it anymore and lost interest. No interest means no demand and no demand means no value. Later, in the 2009 line, they tried to guarantee sales by making everything interactive with each other. If you want the complete bridge, you need to buy all the figures. Where they screwed up was by saturating a market that already didn't care and was done with Trek. Which is why wave 1 shelfwarmed worse than ROTF Tuner Mudflap. Then we never got wave 2 which is why no one has a complete 2009 Bridge. Also, yeah, the DS9 Station and Voyager are about the only things that would really be worth anything and I'm betting that even those could probably be found relatively cheaply. They did do the B and there were in fact two different versions of the E (one for first contact and one for Insurrection).

And let's see, I do have WOK Kirk and Khan but that's it. I do like what Diamond has done with their figures, I've just never been able to afford them.

18. pinoy78

pinoy78 Shoji Kawamori having FUN

When is Diamond Select Toys gonna rerelease the 1701-E?

Have they shelved the Excelsior Class and refits? :( 

19. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Looking back at the press release about Hasbro taking over the Star Trek license, it does actually mention role-play toys and action figures:

Hasbro To Make Star Trek Toy Line – Starting In 2013 [UPDATED] | TrekMovie.com
    Though no mention of any ships...but they could still have some in the works. We'll just have to wait and see.

The Diamond Select ships I've seen in-person seem to be of a decent quality. Then again, I'm even interested in the old Playmates stuff, lol...

The explanation I've heard, and I apologize if I butcher this, but what I've heard is that a single warp nacelle could contain two coils, making it act as if it were to separate nacelles. Meaning that the Kelvin could effectively have two nacelles worth in it's one, and the D that has three would effectively have six nacelles.

Yeah, Playmates's '09 line had some potential. I would have loved to have seen the Kelvin, Narada, and Jellyfish they supposedly had in the works for the line. I still think the TRU closest to me has some '09 movie stuff. Not sure exactly what, but I'm kind of tempted to buy some of it just to finally get it off the shelves...

20. transtrekkie

You know what this is leading up to right? Three words: Star Trek Transformers!

That makes sense, I hadn't heard that explaination before but I can't really say that I ever went looking for one.

Come to think of it, did Playmates ever even design a Kelvin for mass release? Would have been a good one to include in that second wave that I will NEVER quit bitching about:lol