Star Trek: Captains Spotlight series (IDW)

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Infosaur, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Infosaur

Infosaur Well-Known Member

Well the series is rumored to be canceled, and since so many of the stories were lackluster, I can't say I'm surprised.

A chance to showcase Captians Pike, Sulu, and Harriman were all duds.

Pike was depressing, Harriman was inconsistantly written, and Sulu seemed like a re-hash of an old Kirk story.

Very little was done to give these "Original" charachters their own voice, or showcase their (never established) crew and ship.

So my expectations were fairly low when I heard that Captain Jellico was still coming out in spite of the series being canned. (I mean what do we know about him? He's a jack@$$, and he "replaced" Picard for an episode)

So seeing that Kevin DeCandido was writing this book, I thought, "Well he did a good job on the Klingon books"

WOW.

What a difference a decent writer makes. We get a sense of how life works on Jellico's ship, we get to see how he handles a crisis, we get to meet some of his crew, and we get to see what makes him work.

I've got to admit, if I had some sort of "Roddenbery time-travel device" Jellico would be WAY down on the line of Trek Skippers I'd want to shake hands with, but DeCandido takes an original take on the persona of "Starfleet Captian", and makes the book an interesting read.

If this is the last book in the series, it's the best of the bunch. If all of the others had been written this well there might have been better sales. If you read one ST:Captain's book, it's Jellico hands down.

2. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I haven't read the comics, but I can say that what I've seen/read of the Harriman character is usually boring. I don't know if the writers really correspond in any way when they write about lesser-canon or fanon characters, but I've seen Harriman painted as anything from a depressed sourpuss who can't get over Kirk's death to a near-duplicate of Picard.

3. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    I had every intention of picking up Harriman and Pike, but when it came down to it, I wanted my $4.00 more than I wanted the comic. I'll pick up the collected volume when it's released though.

4. Infosaur

To write off a character who presumably spent his life trying to be a Starfleet officer only to be "responsible" for the death of a legend isn't good writing.

If you can't get to the root of the character building of a tragedy, then sorry, you aren't much of a writer.

Anyway, it's not that I'm a big Harriman fan. I just grew up durring the movie-era of Star Trek (the 80's movie, not the JJ's) and I've always been voraciosly followed that era.

Actually in the late 80's (before TNG) there was a strong fan based effort to get George Takei his own Excellsior spin off. (might have been before he came out though) Sure TNG was launched and it was great, but I still would have loved to see the late 23rd century done on a series.

Picard, Riker, Data? How about Sulu, Hariman and Savik?

Just saying is all.

5. ---The RAt

---The RAt Well-Known Member

I'm pretty much with you. I'd have loved to see a Sulu Spin off. I still remember what they did with Sulu in the alt 'verse spin off. He really made a damn fine captan. I could careless that Takei is gay. I'd still watch it if they chose to do one now. Although imagine the flame wars over an openly gay star fleet captan would raise with the fandom and world in general

6. Infosaur

I've always imagined Sulu's way of doing things would be totaly different from Kirk-Picard-Janeway-Sisko-Archer.

He seems MUCH more diplomatic than all of them (save Picard) and much more of a placid calm leader type. That scene of him drinking tea on the bridge in Undiscovered was perfect. Still he's a master fencer, and probably could take on the occasional Klingon with sword skills. His Japanese heritage would make him very familiar with a feudal system based on honor which would probably make him one of the best officers to deal with Klingon relations post-Khitomer.

Other than some silly casting I don't know where Demora came from, so if you haven't read "Captian's Daughter" by Peter David, that should pretty much be the cannon for her. (PD pretty much "Forrest-Gumped" her into the prior 20 years of Trek History, very well done)

Personally I imagine Hikaru Sulu went on to become either an Admiral or Fleet Captian. In one of the tech-books (non-cannon sadly) they described a "Command Cruiser". Which is basicly like a mobile-starbase. It has a dedicated flag-officer and his staff running operations for an entire region. While a secondary starship crew, about the size of your average cruiser, actually runs the ship and ferries the brass around wherever.

The only oddity of this is the protocal that the Captian of the ship is called the "Master of the Boat", because there are many other captain ranked officers on the Admiral's Staff. Also since it's probably a pretty rare posting, to get a grade of Master of the Boat rank is probably a hell of a spiff.

Which is why I always figured in approx the 2310's-20's there is a ship with Admiral Hikaru Sulu and his daughter, Master Demora Sulu, by his side. Running starfleet in the early 24th Century.

HEY IDW, CAN I GET THE JOB?

7. Rigas

Rigas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    just picked this on a whim, I haven't read a Star Trek comic for years, Think Dark Horse was doing it back then. But i couldn't resist Jellico'd head on the cover, He was an awesome character and really wished he was used in the show more.

Loved this issue and will definitely pick up more.

8. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I eagerly followed the drive to get Sulu his own show, including that "here's an idea/pilot" episode of Voyager. I remember writing more than a few (hand-written!) letters to Paramount voicing my enthusiasm for a return to the movie era. It would have been great to revisit the post-Khitomer era with Takei in the captain's seat. It's not like dude has other projects that'd get in the way or anything.

Hell, I won't lie to you - if they decided to start doing the Excelsior series today, I'd still watch it. Dude's still got the acting chops and I don't see any new Trek on the boob tube...

9. Infosaur

Problem is, there ain't no more. At least that's the rumor. The other issues in the series weren't anywhere near as compelling as the Jellico story.

I think they've shelved the rest of the stories they were going to do.