Star Trek 2009 toys question

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Shockscream, May 19, 2009.

1. Shockscream

Shockscream Chairman of Nerd Day

News Credits:
    Does anyone know when Nero's ship from the new Star Trek movie, the Narada, is to be released as a toy? Also, Spock's Jellyfish ship would be a cool toy if they make it.

I got the model Enterprise not long ago and I need to finish the set.

2. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    After watching the film, i doubt they could make Nero's ship as a toy- safety issues and all. just look at it and try not to say "eye injury" or "Drop Test Failed".

But i haven't heard anything about it being planned as a release, to be honest.

3. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
  4. pinoy78

pinoy78 Shoji Kawamori having FUN

"Fire EVERYTHING!"

"SPOOOOCK!!!"

EDIT: Wait. A 1/50 Narada for only $13.99? That sounds like a steal to me.

5. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
  6. Shockscream

News Credits:
    Thank you all. I could not find that anywhere!

7. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    On the subject of the toys, whats the communicator like? How many different phrases does it have? Cuz in the packaging it only has two...

8. Sportimus

Sportimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The communicator was a real disappointment for me. It only says three things I believe, and I just left it on the shelf. Forget it. My classic communicator says over 20 phrases, an costed me about the same. Playmates suck.

9. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    Last edited: May 20, 2009
  10. Sportimus

News Credits:
    Yeah, but there's a caveat to that. ;) 

See, the 3.75" figures are decent. By that I mean they are not as good obviously Star Wars, Marvel Legends, and GI Joe 25th. However, they are about/nearly as good as the Indiana Jones figures and are far superior than the Speed Racer trash we got from Mattel last year. Mattel should be ashamed of themselves for making that garbage.

Articulation on the 3.75" figures is good. Detail is decent, though not stellar, and they come with a decent amount of accessories that offers a lot of play value for kids. Most of them have a phaser, tricorder, and a utility belt. That and some parts to make the bridge set which is "meh", but passable.

The 6" figures are much better. With rubbery shirts, they have an interesting feel to them. Better detail, and adequate articulation. Expect no ninja-style posing given no in and out leg movement, but they can move forward and back, and have knee, ankle, waist, upper-torso, shoulder, elbo, wrist, and neck articulation. More than enough for a good number of decent Trek-type posing. And they're about the same height/scale as Movie Masters figures.

So, in regards to the 3.75 and 6 inch figures, I have to give Playmates a decent score of a C+/B-, respectively.

The Tricorder is actually pretty good. The Communicator, not so good. A real let down. The Phaser is decent, though a bit on the "small" side for some reason. But then, it is for kids, so....

The ship is perhaps their weakest effort in that it has so many visable screws, very little paint apps, and they want $30 for it. I do like it, but ugh, those damned screws. If they charged $15-20 USD for it, then yeah, okay.

Playmates has had a poor record in my book in general. Their past Trek stuff has been a lot worse than what we are getting in this new series of toys, but their other toy lines are not that great either. Things like putting Michaelangelo in a Hawaiian shirt isn't going to boost sales anymore...

11. pinoy78

pinoy78 Shoji Kawamori having FUN

I'm sooooooooooo on the fence about getting the starship.

It's still on sale for a few more days (at Target). I guess I'll have to make my decision asap.

12. Shockscream

News Credits:
    The ship is alright. I got it for £20 from Amazon.co.uk and don't feel too ripped off about it. As Sportimus says, the paint apps are a little disappointing. The recent ships have been far more exciting than Playmates effort. (I think that they were done by Art Asylum?) However, it is difficult to make a toy of such a clean-looking ship interesting.

Take a look at the comparison shots at the bottom. (I think you can tell which is the Playmates one!) I will still buy the Narada, however. It would be very difficult indeed to make that ship boring.

Attached Files:

13. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

I so badly want the Art Asylum TWOK Enterprise (sans battle damage). It's a beautiful piece. However, the Hot Wheels replica is nicely detailed (physically. They captured all the panels, nooks, crannies, etc. Just missing a lot of paint. A LOT.)

Thank you for posting that picture. I'm going to break out my paints and fix this sucker up. The right way, that is. When I'm done with it, it should look like a smaller version of the one you have. I can forgo the voice clips, and cheesy sound effects. I would seriously miss the lighting effects though...I really would.

But hey, you get what you pay for. I can swing $12.00, no problem. Dropping $45.00 plus shipping on that one? Uh yeah, that could be problematic. lol

As for the Narada...it looks like a pine cone with hedgehog spines all over it. (I.E. ugly and dangerous.)

That'll have to be a pass for me. No matter how big it is. (12" height, 20" length.)

14. Shockscream

News Credits:
    You going to paint the Hot Wheels one? If so and you want more pics of the Art Asylum model let me know and I'll take some for you. I'd like to see the results of your work.

15. Shin-Gouki

News Credits:
    Art Asylum is supposedly reissuing NCC-1701-A using the paint methods they are using now. I'll happily keep my Battle Damaged Refit and get that when it comes out. Now on to the HD Original NCC-1701 when that comes out.

16. Sportimus

News Credits:
    I finally found the Hot Wheels ships people have been talking about here. They're actually pretty nice. It was the NCC-1701 refit, and it looked good. I would have bought if someone hadn't crushed the pastic bubble part of the box to where the saucer was broken... :( 

17. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

That's my plan. I just have a terrible time eyeing up the right colors. The Enterprise itself was more a grayish color, with bluer panels thrown in around the deflector, up through the neck, and the base of the saucer section.

The HW one is like snow white, had more of a grayish blue than it should've been, and I couldn't stand the lack of details. So I broke out my Sharpies and my paint pens and went to town on it. I ended up covering the "bluish" parts in silver. (Doesn't look too bad, but it doesn't look Enterprise-y enough either.)

So I'm going to strip it down and repaint it. (Or keep it as is and buy another to paint.)

So yes, I'd sincerely appreciate the extra pics. Post them for everyone, I'm sure we'd all love to see that AS Enterprise. It looks fantastic.

18. Shin-Gouki

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Scythe

Scythe Future Foundation

News Credits:
    Neat.

20. Shockscream

News Credits:
    Shin-Gouki beat me to it. It is a gorgeous ship. Majestic.