Minor/Repaint: Star Poseidon (aka Getter Poseiden)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Massdestruction, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Massdestruction

Massdestruction Instrument of Destruction

In the late '70s/early '80s, kids in the New England area were introduced to Starvengers.
    Starvengers was a English dubbed version of Getter Robo G that aired on Tuesdays
    as part of "Force Five". Force Five consisted of five Japanese animated shows
    (mostly giant robot shows) and each show was aired on a specific day of the week.
    Dangard Ace aired on Mondays, Starvengers aired on Tuesdays, Spaceketeers aired
    on Wednesdays, Grandizer aired on Thursdays and Gaiking aired on Fridays.

For those not familiar with the Starvengers or Getter Robo G, it was a show where
    three jets, piloted by people, combine to form a robot. There was the blue jet, red jet
    and orange jet. What made this show different from other giant robot shows was that
    there was actually three different robot versions and which robot was formed was
    dependent on each jets position in the combination. Red jet on top, blue jet in the middle
    and orange jet on the bottom would form Star Dragon. Blue jet on top, orange jet in
    the middle and red jet on the bottom would form Star Arrow. Orange jet on top, red jet
    in the middle and blue jet on the bottom would form Star Poseidon.

This is my Starvengers Star Poseidon and his minicon partner Star Trident.

Star Poseidon is made using Revenge of the Fallen Dirge. I used Dirge because of the
    rotating turbines in his chest. I had thought about using Hunt for the Decepticons Seaspray
    for the bash, but I wanted to keep all 3 robots the same size and keep all of them as jets.
    A few modifications I made were removing the wings and gluing them to the panel on his arm,
    adding minicon ports to that panel, removing the rotating parts from the legs, drilling holes
    in the tail section panels to allow for attaching the missile launches to his back in robot mode,
    cutting out the center of his chest and molding/sculpting the head using the gestault head
    from Power Core Combiners Smolder.

The modification that makes this bash really work for Star Poseidon is the flip down
    chest panel and the rotating turbines in the chest. In the TV show, Star Poseidon's chest panel
    would flip up and the turbine around his neck would spin causing a tornado vortex.
    So the modifications I made was scratch building the flip down chest panel using plastic panels
    from some KO robots, epoxy putty and pieces from a car model kit.

Paints used were Testors. Mainly a custom mixed orange, gray, black, red, dark red and silver.
    I allowed the blue from the original mold to be used instead of painting the legs blue.

Star Trident is made using Universe Terradive. I used him because his weapon mode is a
    3 bladed claw that could be considered a trident. Unlike the minicon partners for the other
    2 customs, Star Trident does not represent anything used in the TV show.
    A few modifications were made to the mold which did compromise the robot mode somewhat,
    but I just look at it as the robot mode being like a sea creature with a long tail.

Also check out my other Starvengers threads:
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/570851-starvengers-aka-getter-robo-g.html
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/570871-star-dragon-aka-getter-dragon.html
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/570867-star-arrow-aka-getter-liger.html
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/570856-team-star-fire-sword-starvengers.html

And check out my Tranzor Z (aka Mazinger Z) custom:
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/568780-tranzor-z-aka-mazinger-z.html

Attached Files:

2. Stormvapor

Stormvapor Well-Known Member

This whole series is frakking epic mate!
    I cannot believe that nobody has thoght of something like these...
    Kudos mate, Kudos!

3. Dinodigger97

Dinodigger97 germinates within you.

News Credits:
    This is just an awesome idea that I would have never thought up.:)  Nice job.:) 

4. Thunderthruster

Thunderthruster Autobot Supersoldier

News Credits:
    Wasn't Poseidon yellow in the anime?

5. Massdestruction

Massdestruction Instrument of Destruction

I had trouble finding high quality video, so I used the toys for reference.
    Starvengers | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    Starvengers Ships | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I also used this wallpaper for reference.
    Getter Poseidon Wallpaper by ~Zer013 on deviantART

The color on the toy is a golden yellow/yellowy orange/mustard and the color on the wallpaper was a light orange. So I took a few liberties between them and made mine orange.

6. Thunderthruster

Thunderthruster Autobot Supersoldier

News Credits: