Star Ocean / Tri Ace Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Sol Fury, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    So we don't keep taking the Final Fantasy XIII thread off topic with the Star Ocean love, here's a thread for all things Star Ocean!

Appropriately enough, I'm currently working on finishing off Star Ocean Til the End of Time, aka Star Ocean 3, and have completely finished Star Ocean First Departure. I've also won Star Ocean Second Story (PS1 original FTW!) though I never did get around to tackling the optional dungeons. I'm aiming at finishing every single secret dungeon on Star Ocean 3, even the inevitable god-moded monster that is Iseria Queen.

Overall, three games and three hits. The battle system is always a blast, being more of a real-time action battle system. It's also one of the few RPG series out there to go with the full-on sci-fi plotlines, although it's still set on fantasy worlds.

Tri Ace is probably one of my favourite development teams out there. They always seem to come up with a battle system that is very fun to play. That's what lies at the heart of the Star Ocean series - fun, pure and simple.

2. Triple Melter

Triple Melter come on fhqwhgads

I own this entire series and haven't played any of them

:dunce 

3. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    The Star Ocean Series is in my top 5 of all time RPG's

Star Ocean 2 is still one of the best ever.(I own a sealed copy of the game and guide)The backgrounds and graphics still hold up today and they gave us some of the best characters ever.

Who doesn't love 2 headed Dragons and taunting in battle.

First Contact and Second Departure made me buy a PSP :lol 

Till The End of Time gave us a next gen hit.

The Last Hope wrangled in the 360 fans.(now ps3)

If only Square didn't get their mitts on Enix :cry 

4. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You guys probably just convinced me to score this game after beating White Knight. The only thing that would convince me otherwise is some orgasmic review of FF13, and that might not even do it because I don't always trust reviews.

5. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    If you dig Tri-Ace, I recommend tracking down one of their first games: Valkyrie Profile.

You won't be disappointed.

6. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    I loved that game.

That game would kick your ass if you let it.

7. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

Star Ocean is one of those games that I try to like but I cant finish them. I'll usually forget what I'm suppose to do next, go all over the place, talk to everyone, but then just give up and play something to keep my attention. Those kind of games really needs to have a journal (SO:4 has 1 but it's not what Im looking for) that helps me keep track of where Im at in the story.

I totally dig the fantasy & sci-fi mixture, its awsome, but I just cant get myself to finish those game, blarg!

Oh yeah, and why havent they included co-op into any of these? Wouldnt that be awsome?

8. PaladinVance

PaladinVance Watch your step. TFW2005 Supporter

I've only played Last Hope, but one of these days I plan to pick up the PSP ones, and maybe the Ps2 one if I can ever find it anymore

9. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

It's the other way around. Enix bought Square, Square didn't buy Enix.

Star Ocean 2 was an amazing game. Think I made it to level 150 before I stopped playing.

10. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm a big fan of what Tri-Ace does, even if I've had little opportunity to play most of their games. My curiosity was piqued ever since I played the SNES version of Tales of Phantasia a good number of years ago, and Valkyrie Profile was awesome (even if the true ending was convoluted as all heck to find).

There's a new Tri-Ace RPG coming out at the end of this month for the PS3 called Resonance of Fate that I'm waiting for reviews on. It sounds promising. Something like Valkyrie Profile, except rather than the standard fantasy setting, it's set in something resembling the near future, with fancy John Woo-style "Gun-Fu" supplanting the usual swords and magic combat.

11. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just bought Last Hope on PS3. Made my choice. Maybe I'll try FF13 another time.

12. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    YES! Awesome game, the combat in that one was very clever. Great story and concept too, one of the most fun games I've ever played. The finishing moves / Soul Crushes were awesome additions and a great incentive to doing more than just button mashing. Nibelung Valesti!

Here's a review of the Japanese version (called End of Eternity, not sure why the name change):

RPGFan Reviews - End of Eternity