Star Fleet/X-Bomber

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Deceptijohn, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:
    I'm a big fan of Gerry Anderson's various Supermarionation series, so I have no good excuse for why it has taken me so long to watch this Japanese attempt at a marionation show. I watched the UK dub and it was fantastic! There is nothing like models and practical effects. Most CGI seems so lifeless in comparison. Is the story cheesy and simplistic? You bet, but the models, practical effects and the funky disco soundtrack make it an instant classic for me.

This show never made it to the US back in the day, so I'd love to hear any ramblings from our cousins across the pond about their remembrances of this show. Were there ever any toys/models sold for this show?

2. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    As my long-time sig suggests, I love this old show. I watched it way back in the early 80s and without it I might not have ever been interested in Transformers when that came along a year or so after. Star Fleet prepared me for giant red robots that transform into vehicles.
    I think it only aired twice in the UK in its entirety. I remember missing the beginning few episodes and then when it was all repeated missing the last few. But at least I got to see everything eventually.
    There was a black and white weekly comic strip in UK magazine Look-In! and I also had several t-shirts bought from shops. There were some toys released in Japan but I don't remember ever seeing any here in Blighty. There were, I think, three UK VHS releases of edited together episodes. I have two of them. I also recently managed to pick up the old 1983 Annual from a car boot sale.

The full series came to DVD a few years ago and the boxset included a booklet with info about the series, postcards, a poster and coloured reprints of the old Look-In! comic strip. I also picked up Brian Mays Star Fleet Project 12" record.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Fleet_Project
    There's also a CD soundtrack album that was released not long after the DVD set came out.

I would love to see this show redone in CGI with some less cheesy science and dialogue.

I think the site's defunt now but here's more info on Star Fleet:
    http://sfxb.co.uk/

And others:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-Bomber

http://www.starfleetxbomber.com/

3. Grimlocks Pretender Shell

Grimlocks Pretender Shell mmmm...energon

I loved this show. I would always go to my Grandparents on Saturdays and we always made it in time to catch Starfleet on ITV!

4. Metalhead

Metalhead hates things

I loved this show as a kid. Even though the bad guys creeped the ever living fuck out of me at the time.

Also, this thread has just reminded me that I bought the dvd box set and haven't watched it yet. Afternoon plans sorted there.

By your divine guidance!

5. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    I did think they were pretty creepy. Actually, come to think of it, they still look kinda creepy.

6. Deceptijohn

News Credits:
    They are definitely creepy. I think the second-in-command guy had the best arc in the show hehe.

And did anyone else think they copied Destro from Star Fleet?

7. Grimlocks Pretender Shell

They need to release a US compatible us Ex PAts need our fix of 80's Kids telly!

8. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I remember having a Star Fleet jigsaw and watching the show all the time! Were there ever any toys made for it? I've done a few searches on eBay over the years and not found anything...

9. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    It's better to search 'Dai-X' or 'X-Bomber' rather than 'Star Fleet' and then have to wade through all that Star Trek stuff. Less than ten minutes searching turned up this stuff for sale.

I would love to own these:

RARE!! 70s Takatoku X-Bomber DX Big Dai X Chogokin Popy | eBay

And so on. Just stick 'Dai x toys' or 'X bomber toys' into Google and cool stuff comes up.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  10. Deceptijohn

News Credits:
    Ooooh those takatoku chogokin of the X-bomber and Dai-X are freaking sweet! I bet the chances of any kind of re-issue or new mold is probably very low though. :( 

11. Grimlocks Pretender Shell