Stank in boxes?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by ILoveDinobot, Mar 9, 2011.

1. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot You can, you up. No can, no BB.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I was a gifted with an older box for a figure I've had on display.

The problem is this box looks like it survived a basement flood. It's water logged and the inside smells! It definitely has that dank basement smell. I've had it airing out for a few days now, but I don't know if the smell will ever go away.

The thing is I'm afraid if I put my Optimus in the box, he's going to get the box stank on him. I mean this box is really stinky.

Does anyone have any ideas for airing out the box, or do you think that the smell won't transfer onto the figure?

I was thinking of maybe fabreezing the inside of the box, but I don't know if more moisture in there will make it worse.

2. SamiWCP

SamiWCP Guest

If you don't mind a KO box, I'll just give you one of the various ones I have that are complete and mint..Screw using dirty stinky boxes..

3. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Former Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Sounds like the box is mildewed, which is going to be nigh impossible to fix without damaging the box further. Febreeze won't fix anything, only cover it up (and no telling what other effects it might have on the box or figure).

The best you can do is dry the box very thoroughly, possibly even in good, strong sun for a day (shouldn't be long enough to do damage, but standard disclaimers apply).

4. trex5000

trex5000 Autobot

Ebay:
    freeze it. the smell is from bacteria, if you freeze the box, the bacteria will die smell will leave and your box will be fine....dont xpose it to anymore moisture, ie. febreeze - you can use the same steps for your stinky shoes!

5. ILoveDinobot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I like this idea! I just put the box out in the garage, it get's really cold at night so hopefully that is cold enough.

Thanks, I'll send you a PM :) .

I'm too afraid to leave it outside, my dad will probably throw it out -_-"

6. trex5000

trex5000 Autobot

Ebay:
    no dont put it outside it will create a lot of condensation in the morning, trust me, put it in the freezer for at least 24 hours. the freezer uses a dehumidifier which keeps as much moisture out as possible - after the 24 hours if you see the box start to get a little moist as it warms up put a hair dryer to it. cardboard soaks a lot of water, after its frozen the goal is to get it to room temperature and dry as quick as possible

7. omega145

omega145 Autobot

Ebay:
    Make sure the box is completely dry before putting Optimus in there. If its not there is a chance that the mold that may still be present start to grow on him.

8. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    hmmm...so freeze it, then irradiate it with a microwave maybe? Would completely dry the box, and definitely kill any remaining bacteria. Microwaves are good like that :D 

9. ILoveDinobot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Eh? But, there is no room in our freezer. I can't take out food to put a toy box in there. My parents would kill me. :lol . I'll just leave it out in the garage for a few hours then. That should be ok right? It's already out there. >_>

Thanks! That would definitely suck.

10. Rodentus prime

Rodentus prime Old Git

News Credits:
    I say take off and nuke it from orbit - it's the only way to be sure! (wait, what were we talking about?)

11. Dex17113

Dex17113 Well-Known Member

The freezer is the best idea I've heard.....

However I think I should mention that, whatever you do, do NOT put it in the microwave. I could cause a fire. Also, it is likely to singe the image on the box.

Ultimately a better box is probably the best bet.

12. ILoveDinobot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I'm pretty sure he was just joking about putting it in a microwave. :lol  Hamsters don't go in microwaves either.

13. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

You are really having no luck with this rodimus thing.

I thought you knew some of my ex girlfriends with that title! OOHH!

14. alephnull2005

alephnull2005 Banned

I bought a Gibson Les Paul(lefty, hard to find) from a pawn shop once and the guitar case it came with had a moldy smell, the guitar was on display in the shop so it wasn't being stored in the case, after bringing it home and leaving the guitar in the case for a few days, I noticed the smell was transferring to the guitar, so I would say don't do it.

15. x BlackMagnus x

x BlackMagnus x Is not impressed

News Credits:
    That is the only way you can destoy my destucity HOAK HOGAN!

16. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch

News Credits:
    Depends on how cold it gets in the garage and for how long. The freezer is your best bet. The point is to expose any bacteria to a sustained cold, long enough to kill them. Putting it out in the garage "for a few hours" won't do much to kill off any bacteria.

Have a box of ice cream for dinner and put the empty TF box in it's place.

Tell you're parents your having a craving, that'll take the focus off the empty toy box in the freezer :lol 

17. ILoveDinobot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Sad to say, this is a Powermaster Prime box, it's bigger than our freezer. I would have to take out everything in the freezer to fit it. The freezer is like one draw on the bottom of the fridge. The worst design ever.

The freezer is not an option. So I can either leave it in the boiler room or leave it in the garage for a few days.

:| I'll make sure the box doesn't smell anymore before I put it in, thanks for the info though. I would hate for my Prime to smell like stank.

18. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    use baking soda....

FYI freezing doesn't kill most bacteria or microbes unless it's a year or more. You can freeze a fly for 6 months, thaw it and it survives. Most molds love the cold as well.

19. ILoveDinobot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    baking soda? How much? Do I just drop it in the box, close the lid and shake it?

Well it's not freezing freezing anyway right now. It's happily airing out in the garage with the garage door wide open. It's about 45ยบ [American measure] out. Yes, it's very happy because now my room doesn't smell like stank either.

20. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    just like a fridge. Open a box of arm an hammer and place it inside the tf box. It'll absorb the smell.

My initial thought was charcoal as it absorbs smells and moisture real well (burned wood works great for mildew) but that maybe too messy.