Sqweeks and Izabella's intended role

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Super Bumblebee, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Super Bumblebee

Super Bumblebee Autobot

Instagram:
    For The Last Knight, Sqweeks and Izabella received a ton of promotion in the movie's marketing campaign. At the beginning of the film, they actually got some decent screen time, Izabella's introduction seemed to suggest she would be one of the film's main characters, or that at least part of the film would focus on her. Bizarrely, as soon as Cogman shows up, Cade leaves Izabella and her robot buddy behind, and they are not seen again until the film's final act. This struck me as strange when I first saw the movie- what was the point of all the buildup if they weren't really going to do anything at all? Why are they in the film? My first guess was that they could have been thrown in there to set up a role in a future sequel, or that maybe they were just there to pander to critics and audiences who wanted a strong female lead or a family- friendly robot.

But then I thought about some of the interviews with the production team I had read before the movie came out. I remember one of them saying that TLK was going to have two plotlines that would converge toward the end of the movie. The movie, though, only had one major plot. My guess is that there was probably an entire secondary plot that did not make the final draft or the final cut. I'm assuming that plot line would focus on Izabella and Sqweeks, and probably the other characters that were left behind at the beginning of act two. Perhaps more on the conflict with the TRF? One theory that Izabella was supposed to be Merlin's last remaining heir, and that Viviane was just supposed to be a red herring character for the true recipient of Merlin's staff. After all, we know literally nothing about Izabella's family, other than her parents died. My guess is that that would have figured this out in the final act, bringing the plotlines together.

My guess is that this story was probably cut to get the movie down to a reasonable length, and to give more focus to Cade. I think they didn't want to lose these new characters either, which results in their limited on screen appearance. This is just speculation of course, I'm not really sure what they had in mind.
    What do you think? What do you think Sqweeks and Izabella were supposed to do? Or what should they have done?

• Like Like x 3
  2. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    I mean, the film also teased Nemesis Prime as the main villain, if not the recurring threat throughout the movie, and yet he's only there for two scenes, one being the Bee v Nemesis fight scene that had already been shown in every trailer beforehand.

Kind of like how AOE built the Dinobots up to be main players, and yet they don't appear until about 9/10ths into the movie.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Rumblestorm

Rumblestorm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have a hunch that she will play the main lead in the next chapter since Mark says he is not coming back.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Strawberrytop00

Strawberrytop00 Derpticon

I'm happy we didn't get so much focus on Sqweeks, I was worried, we already have one bot who doesn't have a voice taking up screen time over the other Autobots who can actually talk and could be entertaining to watch.

As soon a I heard Sqweeks only said one word I went "Oh no this character is going to get more screen time out of the other bots (like BumbleBee gets more time) and he had no lines to say back when a human is talking to him. Much like 'here's Sam talking for a really long time OH! Lets see how his Autobot friend replies! BumbleBee: Beeps Sadly. Well ok then!' XD

It makes me feel like they don't know how to right Autobot/human dialogue...just normal everyday talk between the two but instead all close bonds between humans and robots are the ones with no voices or the ones who say one word.

I'm just confused who thought it was a good idea to advertise her "Yeah I Fight like a Girl!" thing along with every trailer having the "I wanna fight them!" line in it, when she did not fight anyone...like at all.

I had come up with a somewhat different approach to her character (I'm writing this quickly off the top of my head so it's crummy XD) , basically it involves scrapping Sqweeks' character (lol sorry ) Basically keep Canopy alive but badly wounded to where he practically almost dies, we maybe get a flashback to how they met and she explains how he's all she has as the Autobots and Cade try to repair him. The whole final battle scene goes differently as she is only there to stop Canopy(who has somewhat been repaired but wants to fight with the Autobots) from getting himself killed. So she ends up staying by him the entire fight and fights along side him (again she's a kid and doesn't do much damage to anything but she's there for support and it shows her dedication to her family) Yeah....all I got but I felt it gave her a bigger role in the film. Instead of the scene where Cade was just 'What are you doing here?' 'I don't know!' XD

• Like Like x 3
  5. Timothy.R

Timothy.R Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Man, you are so right.. they REALLY have no idea how to write human to robot dialogue.

6. BumblebeeFan71

BumblebeeFan71 Loyal Starscream Follower

YouTube (Legacy):
    Hmm... that seems true. Usually it's humans talking to each other with the Transformers standing off in the background, or they discuss battle plans. Only time I could think of casual talk going on with a human and Autobot is Optimus and Cade. My examples would be when Cade mentioned to Optimus about how hard it is to be a parent and Optimus replies how he understood the feeling with raising Bumblebee; the other would be when Optimus asks Cade how he manages to stay so optimistic despite what the world was like, to which Cade replies that he understood the world was crummy but he chose to look past the bad and focus on the good.

I really missed that type of writing in TLK and wished that Sam and Bumblebee had those types of interactions in the previous films.

• Like Like x 2
  7. User_136440

User_136440 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Jimmy was another pointless character. It's not like they need all these characters, without them the movies could be a little shorter, but perhaps with more explained instead of endless banter.

• Like Like x 1
  8. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

They had an entire scene dedicated to introducing Decepticons who got killed off during their next appearance. The film seems to be a checklist of things the producers and Hasbro wanted, rather than a proper story.

• Like Like x 8
  9. User_136440

User_136440 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just hope they're done with the knight thing. It could've been interesting to explore but it just got shoehorned in with the Dinobots, and then taken way too literally (a bit like the motifs applied to the AOE Autobots). No indication of where Optimus, the Dinos and Megatron fit in (assuming Megatron's a knight given his new design). Probably time to update Optimus's design again, if the knight storyline is done with…

Unfortunately it seems everything movie related is somewhat half baked, including the toy lines given the glaring omissions of certain characters.

10. fpjones3

fpjones3 Well-Known Schmuck

The way I see it, nothing more than eye candy for kids to sell more toys. This perspective is reinforced by the more-than-usual number of funny scenes. Forced even.

11. francesco92

francesco92 Well-Known Member

I'm actually saddened by it because Izzy was my favorite human character so far. She reminded me of Transformers Prime's characters. Which remind me that the Transformers movies would only gain to have kids as human protagonists, after all the franchise is supposed to be direct towards them.

• Like Like x 1
  12. MrNiceGuy

MrNiceGuy Well-Known Member

Could be she was replaced by Viviane because a kid savior type thing is too silly, even for these movies? That sounds like something the cartoon might have done.
    But I agree with you. They way the handled her almost makes it feel like two different movies to me. The first half with her being important/all the emotional family plot stuff and the junkyard and the second half with british/london hijinx. They could have just had her in the background during all that exposition, would have been better than nothing.

13. Shockwavers

Shockwavers Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Handle):
    And I also don't understand why people say she's useless. I mean she's a kid who was able to install a voice box in bumblebee even if it wasn't the right one and she destroyed a TRF sentry singlehandly with 2 bottles of Energon, that's actually quite creative.

14. BarricadeLives

BarricadeLives i'm you! i'm your shadow!

when you look at the overwhelming rosters of films 2, 3, & 5..it makes you wonder..

15. Dconworshipper

Dconworshipper decepticon

News Credits:
    thing is they make the autobots WAY to overpowerd.

ever since DOTM the fights between bots and cons have just been "slap,kick,headshot" "autobot wins fatality" type of deal.

one could argue that the most strong cons are dead but even they didn't stand a chance in direct combat as seen in DOTM. exept barricade he's awsome for escaping that facepalming "battlefield"

• Like Like x 2
  16. BarricadeLives

BarricadeLives i'm you! i'm your shadow!

right? isn't it crazy? not even grim could kill off barricade!

pretty sure michael bay is watching over him, protecting him

• Like Like x 1
  17. Dconworshipper

Dconworshipper decepticon

News Credits:
    makes me wonder if he always kept him alive because of his fanbase or because he always had a plan for him that never sees the light of day.
    hasbro must love him aswell since he will get a masterpiece toy.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

i liked her; and wished the movie focused on her, instead of side tracking, and creating a whole new lead character for Cade to make out with, half way through the film. Sqweeks was just fine too. the film should have been about her. I mean, the trailers sure did make it seem like it was.

as it is, they seem like something that was added in at the last minute. As they book end the film.

19. MrNiceGuy

MrNiceGuy Well-Known Member

maybe because the movie has such a rapid pace you could barely notice such things.
    what was up with cade saying he wouldn't abandon her and then abandoning her to go to london?

lol