Fan Art: SQ7 needs YOUR help with 3-D Rendering Tutorials!

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Superquad7, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Hey Fan Art guys! Over the last few months with taking care of Customs Tutorials, I have also been working hart on the Illustration (Fan Art) tutorials as well. Long ago, Draven and some other artists did a great job (THANKS SO MUCH, GUYS!) with providing the community with several resources for Fan Art Tutorials here (http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-fan-art/85666-return-resources-tutorials-thread.html). However, over the years software can become outdated and that sort of thing.

That one sticky thread used to have everything thrown in (with what can be commonly referred to as a "dump thread"). Those types of threads can become cumbersome to someone trying to search through everything to find the one resource they're looking for. What I've done is create separate tutorials (like Customs) for the Fan Artists. The 2-D portion is finished and then some, as I've went through TFW2005.com and searched for virtually every resource that's been posted that could be helpful to the Fan Artists and resourced them.

I've gotten the sticky thread down to just the 3-D rendering portion. Admittedly, I have used 3-D software very little. What I'd like to see is some 3-D tutorials posted here, in Creative GD, so I can then resource them to Tutorials. Also (with both Customs and Illustration), I'm going to further subdivide the Table of Contents portions some because we've grown SO MUCH over the last few years (check out the Movie Customs Tutorials on the ToC to see what I mean!).

Anyways, I'd like some feedback and help from you Fan Art guys. Thanks for all you do, and know that ol' SQ7 really wants to help all you guys (Customizers and Fan Artists) out! :) 

2. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Softimage Tutorial Links

Here is some Softimage links, to get anyone started using it for 3d modeling and rendering.

Autodesk Softimage info:
    Autodesk - Autodesk Softimage

Basic tutorials to get your started:

Interacting with objects and models in your scene-
    Transforming and Interacting with the objects

Great tutorial to show the basic modeling methods. Basically the core way I do most modeling.
    xsi polymodelisation tutorial

Another good tutorial for learning basic modeling-
    Modeling

Closing holes in your model, automatically-
    How to cap holes in Softimage XSI v 1

Another basic modeling tutorial-
    Basic Subdivs

Advance Softimage tutorials

Car Paint Shader-
    CGArena : Car Paint Shader Setup

Using Subdivision and retain hard edges-
    xsi subdiv and edge/vertex crease

Modeling the Parthenon (good modeling techniques for TFs and environments)-
    The Making of PARTHENON - Community for CG Artists

Advanced Lighting-
    aa_Ocean -- Tessendorf's paper as Softimage ICE nodes -- Amaan Akram

Global Illumination-
    Global Illumination

3. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Thanks for the help, V! :thumb 

4. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
  5. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Thanks for the help, Draven. :thumb 

6. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  7. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Fishdirt, thanks for the help!

To those of you who do 3-D renders, do you essentially want a hub of links to go to for rendering tutorials? I'm just trying to think of the best way to resource what we already have along with anything we can add here.

8. Fishdirt

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There is a very resourceful forum called conceptart.org

Unless your really good I wouldn't bother registering. These guys can tear you apart pretty quick in an effective critique type way but the amount of info there is unmatched.

9. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Noted, however, nothing I'll be doing here will be promoting or encouraging others to require another subscription to another message board.

The ideal situation would be to have artists who created renders to create useful tutorials here. However, if that's not happening, then the linkage to other sites that have tutorials may be helpful.

Is it the amount of work involved already with creating renders for this type of artwork that deters 3-D rendering artists from creating their own tutorials? Or is it that artists tend to find the posted tutorials useful enough?

Mainly, as I've said, I'm just trying to figure out the best way to go about things for you guys who create or are interested in creating 3-D renders for your Fan Art. I certainly don't want you guys to feel left out or neglected when it come to this area (or any other area) of Transformers Creative Artwork. Just let me know what's most helpful for you guys, and I'll see what I can do :) 

10. Fishdirt

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    In that case..

Here is a FREE program I used years ago that is free and has all the tuts you need for it if your just beginning (list under beginners?). It gives you a feel for splining and all that other technical stuff.

The models can be saved as files for other progs. It's also very easy to animate with:

Anim8or, free 3d animation software

Not very complicated at all.

11. Superquad7

News Credits: