SPRINGER/SANDSTORM FINAL COMPARiSONS(g1 cartoon accuracy,decision help)

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by shadeozero, May 13, 2013.

1. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Takara Fanboy Collector

News Credits:
    Awesome re-enacting using the toys.

2. Transmetal

Transmetal Well-Known Member

After owning the new Springer for a bit now, I'll probably throw him up on ebay. Yes, it's better than the other Springer attempts that Has/Tak has come up with but he just doesn't scream Springer too me. Would love an MP Springer!

3. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Dude, you´re talking to someone who thinks the Sunbow cartoon is a gift from God. Logic is not a strong point.

4. archieboy

archieboy Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Today I learned that Starscream Gaga is a "he" :) 

5. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits:
    that mold should always have been sandstorm and not springer thought that from day 1

6. Stepper

Stepper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I will say Generation Springer is more cartoon accurate compare to the Generation Sandstorm.

7. ThaConqueror

ThaConqueror Rock! Robot Rock!

Turns out it said so right there in his profile the whole time! :O

8. Cracka J

Cracka J judas in my mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I didn't read any of the drama going on in here until after I was done with the first post, and I'm still a bit irked at the way it came off. Like I understand the OP's intentions by marking which is closest to G1, but that also think that makes it seem like because it's marked as "closer" it's automatically a better version. And I'm still confused why anyone would want a straight repaint when you could have a cool looking retool that still fits the character/alt modes.

But anyway the OP has been cool and I understand what he was trying to do, it just comes off with really heavy bias just reading from a neutral standpoint. I'm fine if you like warbot over everything else, or want a digibash springer as sandstorm over an awesome retool. I don't understand it, but if that's your opinion, I do respect it.

And while these guys are G1 homages, they are classics first, not definitive G1. That means they are and were always meant to be new interpretations of the characters with a few G1 homages sprinkled in. I think they meet that perfectly. Also for a measly $20 bones a pop, these guys fill all my springer/sandstorm needs just fine.

9. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    I'm starting to realize I should just ignore him, arguing is pointless.

LOL! Everyone thinks I'm a girl online! Can't a guy love Gaga too? T__T

10. bobbyjack

bobbyjack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm going to stick with the GDO versions of Springer and Sandstorm. Neither character is important enough for me to spend $25 each to upgrade the versions I just got. If you already have Warbot, I'd say stick with it and spend the $25 on a different character you don't have yet.

11. archieboy

archieboy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Seriously, when I read your post I visualize Lady Gaga speaking in the voice of G1 Starscream. :) 

But anyway, I'll stop derailing the thread and give my two cents to OP: get both Springer and Sandstorm. They seem to be equally inaccurate to the G1 cartoon, but both deserve a place in your collection because they are (pretty confident with Sandstorm) great figures. :) 

12. ThaConqueror

ThaConqueror Rock! Robot Rock!

I wonder if that sort of confusion is why the parody forum I frequent has a gender marker right under your avatar. Sure makes sense wither way.

Also, it's perfectly fine for one of the masculine persuasion to enjoy the music of Stefani Germanotta, fellow Adelaidian! I, enjoy it quite thoroughly myself!

13. Primus_feather

Primus_feather Well-Known Member

True, my mistake. What I intended to convey was the designs were never ment to lend to G1, but more of a pure cybertronian design austetic, SIMILAR to foc/wfc. While sticking to the whole bot/vehicle/flying vehicle paradime. As I recall very few IDW designs have bases in G1..
    As far as Roches Sandstorm design, I knew this, thus including him in my previous statement. Design wise I comend Roche on changing him to different type of helicopter (rotor style models honestly are all the same despite mild changes in carring capacity.)

14. Jalaguy

Jalaguy has no known physical weaknesses

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    I'm sorry, but what? IDW has consistently used Classics-y style designs - G1 characters with modernised alt modes. They're as based in G1 as anything can be without literally using the original animation models.

And you do realise the G1 Springer originally had "pure Cybertronian" vehicle modes, right?

15. grimtnt

grimtnt Armada is older now than G1 was in 2002

News Credits:
    its not fair to compare a toy witch represents the newest springer design with a third party that's based of g1
    this doesn't make sense , of course you didn't grow up with this comic design
    It wasn't there when g1 was around , its a design based on the on going comics
    AKA the present springer design

if you want g1 accuracy , go with FP springer
    if you want a cool present day design with its own unique personality and style , go with 3.0 springer
    3.0 springer was never supposed to represent the g1 cartoon

16. Thunderthruster

Thunderthruster Autobot Supersoldier

News Credits:
    I respectfully disagree with this point. As can be seen from the screenshot you provided, Sandstorm has vehicle kibble over his head ('copter tail), as does the retool Sandstorm. Therefore this alone makes the botmode more G1 'toon than the digibash.
    As for the wheel/VTOL kibble, as has already been mention and is common knowledge, the photographers are synonymous at not being able to correctly transform figures, so they may not sit in that position, and from looking at where the hinge joint is, they should fold back and sit more inline as the G1 figure didl.

17. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

I'm not gonna lie. The Photoshop of Springer in Sandstorm colors still looks great. And I say this despite the actual reveal. I can see why people would prefer a redeco over a retool. It could have something to do with the fact that they enjoy the tooling on Springer a lot more than the tooling on Sandstorm. You can't really hold that against them as it's just a matter of preference.

I did enjoy the comparison photos, though.

18. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Very cool presentation, I think it looks great.

That said, I LOVE the new springer and think he's perfect as part of the classics series.

19. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    Oh man that is AMAZING!

Well I wouldn't really say that. Ever since the ongoing they've been much more movie/Prime influenced designs with the last ongoing litteraly being movie design but more G1.

It's back to more G1 style with RID but MTMTE is again more of the movie styled than G1.

20. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits: