Customs: Spray paint problem...fluffy texture.

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by TTT, Sep 8, 2008.

1. TTT

TTT OutOfCommissionToys.com

News Credits:
    Sorry no pics but has this ever happened to you ?

I like using Krylon hobby enamel "short cuts", I bought "glow orange"(gloss) and laid down paint(in ideal conditions) and it came out with a fluffy texture, like a bath towel. Also it's more of a flat color than gloss.
    This is on a Mustang Alt hood that was primed(auto) and painted gloss black(Testors) and the orange was over a stencil (Alt. Razorclaw) and it even came out fluffy on the masking tape so ...?

Was this a reject can ?

This was my last day of spraying for the year, my part is buggered.
    To avoid a long swear full rant I'll just end it here......any thoughts on the paint prob. and what to to with the part that is now in ruin ? ...any way to remove the orange & save the rest ???

Thanks !

2. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    Some colors do that. where do you live? extreme temperatures also cause this to happen.

Out here in the dessert type dry heat, sometimes the paint will dry while in the air on the way to the surface you're painting, causing gunky build up like you describe. If this is the case, try a cooler area to spray in, and moisture helps too.
    I've noticed lighter colors like yellows/whites/etc this happens with more often.

3. TTT

News Credits:
    Hmmm, naw conditions are ideal. I'm spraying other parts with other paints at the same time and they're coming out mint.
    I'm on Vancouver Island (just north of Seattle, WA).
    It's like thousands of fluffy balls that crush if you touch them.

4. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    HMM. I'd personally keep it, could make a cool texture for a future project...

I'd guess the can is old or defective. Sounds like typical walmart shit, that's been on the shelf for 5 years.

5. TTT

News Credits:
    Any chance of saving the part(mainly the black base coat), only removing the orange ?

6. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    highly doubt it. how long has it been on? removing spray is next to impossible. I would try a brush in alcohol, then thinner, and a clean bowl of your solvent you use. continually cleaning the brush and doing sections at a time. the paint that thins out into the cracks should be ok to leave there, seeing you'll be eventually painting the entire area(s) orange.

7. TTT

News Credits:
    About an hour...will try that.
    Thanks !

8. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

I'm going to guess it was because you were painting over a gloss color. Some paints will react bad when there is nothing to "grab onto".

In the future, I would sand those areas down with some high grit paper just to rough it up some so the paint has some areas to grab.

EDIT: I just saw that you got the same reaction on the tape. Now I have no idea. Might have just been a bad batch.

9. TTT

News Credits:
    Have I ever told you you're the friggen man(yes, I have).
    That WORKED !
    Thankfully the black base coat is multi-layered on top of auto primer and was done about 2 months ago.
    The orange didn't look like it was going to bond with the undercoat(s) so I think that helped in the removal.
    I brushed 99% Iso Alch. with a bristle brush and kept the brush clean as I went along.
    Now the gloss black base is flat but should be OK once I get a proper coat of orange(after I chuck that other junk), will update progress later to see how this turns out.
    Thanks again f_r ! ! !

10. TTT

News Credits:
    Yeah, it looked the same on my masking tape.
    I'm thinking bad batch or maybe the can was exposed to freezing temp at some time ???

11. TTT

News Credits:
    Well I've re-done the area and it has turned out great.
    Just a little cleanup/detail around the edges and it almost looks like nothing happened.

Thanks again f_r ! ! !

12. anovasinn

anovasinn THE PAINTS MUST FLOW!!!

cool man i am glad you got it cleaned off. what you described i cant think of what happened ,but being it was F'ed up on the tape and the area to be painted it seems like it would be environmental or bad paint. one last possibility is it got something on it right before painting