Customs: spray paint consistency.

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by seali_me, Jan 30, 2008.

1. seali_me

seali_me Buhawi Gabay-Tala

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the two doors were sprayed literally. a minute apart.

i absolutely hate this. i've been experimenting a lot with temp and humidity. the consistency of each spray changes drastically. i bet its the humidity or maybe dryness of the environment. i get bubbles or holes. when drying i also get the spiderweb effect. i'm running on a electric heater (which we all know does not have a consistent heat running in the room.)

can someone help? or should i just wait till spring...

2. anemis

anemis Well-Known Member

well the spider effect happens when theres a chemical reaction usually when 2 different types of paints are used (one over the other) and can even become more like cracking effect... that sucks and it happened to me before... sometimes it even happenned when i use the same type of paint but from 2 different bottles.... as for holes that could be an indication that there is an impurity and it make the paint shall we say escape (usually a sort of oil type impurity) and bubble might be because air gets mixed with your spay... usually try spray painting from a good distance... 8-10 inchs away... but the best results will always be an airbrush system (wich i dont have) because the paint is diluded.. so is more uniform and makes a very nice finish....also temperature should be around the 15-20 celsius if i,m right and a himidy factor of 45% to 55 % is always good..

well i,ll be looking in airbrush systems now lol .. i have theses types of problems sometimes and i hate it ;) 

3. seali_me

i never had trouble with krylon before. (lisse, pas de degoute et uniforme. ca toujours fonctionne comme il dit sur le spray.) however when using products i always think that the user is at fault not the product itself. so i came here for advice.

i did follow the directions. *turns on dehumidifier* *lower temps slightly* again. for the holes it could it be the nozzle? clogged a little? ack. never forget a step. however this happened as well with a new can. sigh. this just builds up experience i hope.

thanks dude.

4. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Blimey - 15-20 degrees Celcius with a 45-55% humidity? That sounds like a pretty narrow window of opportunity. Is the stuff that sensitive?

5. seali_me

i think its the recommended environement. i've sprayed outside before in 5 degrees celcius. it worked. sometimes i think both the user and the company who makes these excuses for crap. lol but yeah i think its canadian winter.

recommended environment= less chances of crap happening. like a guide.

6. Wikkid

Wikkid Semi-retired customizer

Sounds like the holes could be "solvent poping".

It's caused by laying a paint on too heavy or putting a second coat on before the first is dry. If you're working in a colder than normal enviroment, just allow each coat to dry a long time and/or spray dry coats saving your wet coat for last.

7. seali_me

i'll try this right now. i can see my errors and have experience a similar effect when tested. damn. this actually happens each time i try to correct a crap piece. but i had to sand it down to the bone to avoid the holes again. thanks dude and anemis. :D