Spotlight: Wheelie Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Foster, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

Also coming out today! :) 

2. TreKain

TreKain Made of Sterner Stuff TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Excellent Story!

-Wheelie as the last name on Hotspots list (behind Roller) was great.
    -The rhyming explanation was good.
    -And the last panel...OMG!

3. Spartan Prime

Spartan Prime is an apathetic douchebag

I really did like this issue. One of the better Spotlights to have come out in recent memory, in my eyes.

Wheelie didn't suck, and although he did that whole Furman-esque "I question my existence using an inner-monologue with words that you would never hear me use in actual speech", it didn't make the character look too self-involved in the issue.

4. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    Quite liked it, and LOVED the whole "weird translator" explanation they came up for that explained why Wheelie started rhyming. Also... QUINTESSONS! Can't wait to see what they're all about in this universe...

5. Infosaur

Infosaur Well-Known Member

Spoliers Beastbot,,, spoilers.

But most amazing of all?

They made Wheelie INTERESTING!

A lone Transformer on a deserted planet (well except for basic animals) that page where he's walking alone in a desert (James Dean?) had me staring for a while.

And the whole time I'm thinking,,, but this is WHEELIE?! The most despised charachter in fandom! But they made him (must not say it :banghead: ) COOL?

Oh also shades of Robenson Crusoe too. (And Survivor Exile Island.)

Come to think of it, there are and awful lot of "lost" transformers running around the galaxy: Kup, Shockwave, the Dinobots, Wheelie, and technically the original G1 Prime's crew.

I've always wanted to do a story about a TF who crash lands on a deserted world, stays for over a 5000 year period and witnesses the evolution of a sentient race. Like if BW Waspinator had stayed on Earth with the cro-magnons? Imagine "present day" Earth if instead of Chistians, Muslims, Jews, Budists, Hindu, etc. we were all "Waspinatori"? Often When a Transformer comes in contact with an alien sentient race, they are treated "scientificly", but AFAIK no story has ever imagined a TF being mistaken for a god.

Cool posiblities.

6. Beastbot X

News Credits:
    Er... the thread is discussion ABOUT the danged comic. Even ignoring that the thread title has "Spoilers" in it, I'm not gonna label "spoilers" in the comic's own thread.

7. MagnusPrimal

MagnusPrimal Well-Known Member

What was in the last panel?
    I flipped through this in the store, but could not make myself get it. I can't get past the 'it's Wheelie' feeling.

8. Beastbot X

News Credits:
    In the ancient ruins on the planet, there's shown a carving of a Quintesson. And it's clearly more than just an Easter egg, seeing as how that's how the comic ends.

9. TreKain

TreKain Made of Sterner Stuff TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Also if you look closely at the panels showing outside the ruins, you can see a partially buried quint...looks like a rock if your not looking to close

10. MagnusPrimal

MagnusPrimal Well-Known Member

Well, I clearly missed both of those. I remember the rocks, but didn't look closely.

Ah well, it doesn't sound like was integral to the overall story to get this, which is good for me. Thanks guys!

11. Acid Wing

Acid Wing Senior Alien TF Member

News Credits:
    I daresay, for a character with such a despised history among the fandom, this spotlight really made him a deep, multi-layered and interesting figure. So far, I rank this spotlight in my top 3, with Shockwave and Kup being in 2nd and 1st place, respectively.

12. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:

There's the G1 episode, The God Gambit.:) 

13. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    The coldness of the transformers is surprising to me. Send Kup off into the unknown. Yeah and forget about Sunstreaker. Wheelie, just hop in the shuttle and GO! etc... The Autobots aren't really tight nit with Ultra Magnus being the only capable loner.

That said, I really enjoyed the issue. I loved the discoloured arm and advancement to the character. Nice art, good editing and a good self contained story.

Well done IDW!

14. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    At least somebody went after Kup. Wheelie was able to hail Optimus Prime with a distress signal and was ignored. :( 

I had a good chuckle revisiting two of my favorite Lil Formers strips on the back page.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
  15. Tim Formas

Tim Formas Old Man Administrator

News Credits:
    While I loved the issue and the ending, I wonder if we'll ever see any follow-up to that. I doubt we'll see "Spotlight Wheelie, Part 2" and the "ongoing" arc(s) just seem to be so far off from involving the Quints. Still, one big plot twist could always change that all.

16. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Great art, love the retro cover, and the story was pretty cool. Sucks that Reflector appears to be dead.

17. MECHADOOM

MECHADOOM I'm Doombot and I know it

I'm a little confused about the timing of this tale. If we take Wheelie's distress call as the communication Optimus Prime received at the begining of the Optimus Spotlight, then the BEGINING of this tale takes place between issues 3 and 4 of the Devastation story arc. Soon into this book, however, Wheelie says "Deca-cycles turned into Mega-cycles, Stellar-cycles turned into Meta-cycles. Now, I don't know what lengths those times are in this universe. But it seems as though the bulk of this story may take place years after the main storyline, which will need some explaining if they try to link up the ending back to the main plot.

18. Darkspeed

Darkspeed Avatar Freak

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm gonna throw this out here to you guys... For me, this is the best Spotlight so far, narrowly beating Kup's to the post!

I'm amazed too that they actually took Wheelie and turned him into something other than an annoying add-on character; This Wheelie is downtrodden, pesimistic but determined. Loving hos he told the story of how he'd gotten there in the first place, and all the shit he's had to deal with on the way (The scene where he gets his arm back...I had to reread that, just to make sure I saw it right!)

The last few pages really picked up, moved the story along nicely. The explination for his speech was a nice touch, and the conclusion to the story was - For once - Not just about how much more crap can happen to the character. Wheelie gets a fairly happy ending!

And I was wondering when they'd finally fit in the Quintessons... Here's hoping we see more of them soon!

19. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Wheelie took off from Cybertron, most likely before Thunderwing's initial ravaging of the planet. I think the signal Optimus Prime is receiving is the repeating distress signal Wheelie set up, probably after his battle with Reflector but possibly before. His new shelter he builds with Varta also has the satellite dish.

20. Infosaur

Infosaur Well-Known Member

Well FINE then! :jawdropper: 

QUINTS!QUINTS!QUINTS!QUINTS!QUINTS!QUINTS!QUINTS!QUINTS!QUINTS!QUINTS!QUINTS!QUINTS!QUINTS!QUINTS!

So there! :p :horse: