Spotlight: Ultra Magnus *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Gears, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I thought this was a pretty cool issue. I really like the artwork and the coloring is very nice. Magnus kicks lots of ass in this issue. Swindle plays a big part in the issue and his portrayal is very cool and conniving. The idea that Ultra Magnus will do whatever it takes to bring down Scorponok, even if it means making a deal with Swindle, is an interesting moral dilemma for Ultra Magnus. It was very cool to see Scorponok in the book, and what appears to be the beginning of the Headmasters technology for the IDW universe. I really wish IDW would proofread there books better. On the last page the word balloon appears twice "So...Lets Deal." This makes the last page seem kind of awkward. Still, this is a fun read nonetheless.

2. Random Autobot

Random Autobot Soviet Kanukistani

is there a situation in the book that Ultra magnus can't deal with?

3. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Agreed. I loved the design of Magnus's cab mode. And his role as an independent operative was really cool, and yet brand new for him.

4. Lord Shockwave

Lord Shockwave Well-Known Member

Well done again, by both Simon and the artistic team.

When you read a Spotlight, you want something that is a succinct clear story in and of itself (which this is) and something that sets things up for future storytelling (which this does).

Writing-wise, I think this is Simon's best use of dialogue since the Shockwave Spotlight. It really flowed and none of the dialogue or exposition felt forced in any way. There were no cheesy oneliners that have the intent of making things more kickass, but have the opposite effect of being distractingly cliche.

What's more, Simon's take with the Headmasters was so fresh, I completely forgot that in the past we've already seen a Con named Scorponok meet a guy named Zarak on a planet called Nebulos where characters called Headmasters were born (in the Marvel run). That's #### good writing when you can have the same character do the same thing in the same place, and make it read like it's never been done before. When you can stay true to the essence of these characters, yet make it comepletely fresh, that's called skill. Simon and Nick did the same thing with the Shockwave Spotlight.

Crucial to having strong short stories, you gotta have an intriguing cast. Magnus vs. Scorponok. Very clever of Simon, because these guys have never even met, if I'm not mistaken, in any TF continuity. So it gives us something unique. I had the same feeling with DW's War and Peace, when it was Magnus vs. Shockwave. It's nice to see some of the other head honchos from each side go at it besides Prime and Megs. Throw that cheap bastard Swindle into the mix and you've got yourself a captivating enough cast.

Musso doesn't disappoint, and although he could downsize some to make the characters less bulky, overall he gets the job done. Needs some work on the body poses too, however, as Magnus at times seemed to be positioned strangely during the action sequences.

Overall, I give this a "B+", just under the Shockwave and Hot Rod Spotlights. Four out of five on the Spotlights ain't too shabby. Keep it up!

5. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

This issue was awesome. The art was great, and I never thought I'd find myself think of G1 Ultra Magnus as a badass.

The only thing I thought was awkward was that Scorponok seemed to actually care about Zarrack. Not so much that fact itself really, just that it seemed to come out of nowhere. "I am the awesome killer of bots! Oh noes I killed my buddy by mistake!"

6. Napjr

Napjr <b><font color=gold>Mr. Internet</font><br><font c Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Probably because he must be crucial for his plans *whatever they are*

7. Infosaur

Infosaur Well-Known Member

"So Magnus Let's Deal"
    "I can't deal with that now"

Holy cow I JUST got that :lol 

I was kinda dissapointed actually but not overly so. The idea that inspite of an ongoing war there are laws over and above, well killing the other side, seems a stretch. We founded the UN *BECAUSE* of WW2 I find it hard to believe that such a peace keeping or even law enforement comunity could effectively opperate on both side of a war.

I also kinda thought of Scorpinock being a bit out of Magnus's "weight class" if you will. Just never saw the two of them together, and I would think Scorp is MUCH more powerfull than Magnus. (never mind that he's NEVER dipicted as a 'city' anymore he was supposed to be bigger than Trypticon at one point)

But more nebulos is the win even though the "re-engineering" was morbid. That explains how fleshies can transform but it's gotta be painfull to withstand the process.

Since Scorp was so concerned for Zarrk did that mean they were already bonded? Hmmmm.

Anyway The Scorp I remeber most was the death sceen in the G1 comic versus Unicron, and if you never read it I HIGHLY recomend you check it out.

8. Acid Wing

Acid Wing Senior Alien TF Member

News Credits:
    I agree, I was like....huh???? And I'm familiar with Zarak's headmaster relationship with Scorpy. Maybe it's because I felt Furman didn't properly introduce Zarak, save of course, having him be introduced by being blasted.:lol 

9. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Me too.

10. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There are a few points going on in this issue that look to provide some great reading later down the road. The one that stands out most is the whole Nebulos angle. We've already seen another Decepticon Infitration team there and they weren't all bots that made up the "Masters". When Thunderwing attacked, he pretty much blew their cover. So now I'm intrested in seeing where this story fits into that one.

Also, I don't think Zarak is dead. I don't know if they've done the whole Binary Bonded thing yet as Scorpy still had his head, but you get the feeling that there is something there. Maybe Scorponok comes back later and takes on Zarak as a way of keeping the Nebulon alive. (kind of like how Arcee was used to save Daniel.)

11. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    Awesome issue.

This was a perfect way to let Ultra Magnus shine and the art was super. Very clean and well drawn. Good story telling and sence of size between characters.

12. Optimus

Optimus Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Great writing, characterization, and art. I can't wait to see more of these characters in the future.

13. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    Yeah, this Spotlight was great, probably the best or second-best, IMO. I really like how the explained the "Transforming Man" aspect of the Headmasters, and the whole undercover operation angle of it. A solid A!

14. Edge

Edge weapon of destruction

So were done with this set of spotlights when do the next start up?

15. Primal

Primal Moderator

News Credits:
    They begin again in March with a spotlight on Soundwave
    [​IMG]

16. Denyer

Denyer Shooty Dog Thing

That was pretty awesome. I was a bit skeptical after seeing the preview pages, but finding that that scene was entirely a warm-up the Magnus/Swindle interaction (and not spotting any other awkward poses like Magnus on the second page) really got into it -- the art tells the story well. In particular enjoyed the twist with Zarak pushing the everything-old-is-new-again angle... a very 'Ultimate TF' feel to it, like Marvel's reinvention of series. But then there's an interesting new angle as well -- the Cybertronians don't want their tech in other hands, enough to sanction peacekeepers and consider Decepticons who share it rogue. Other nice touches were the adaptive holomatter av and those Robocop-ish security drones.

Ended the first run of spotlights on a high.

4/5 --> 8/10.

Was anyone else thinking of Spaceballs when they saw Magnus's ship?

[​IMG]

17. Infosaur

Infosaur Well-Known Member

Nah I was hoping it was Magnus's alt mode (or something similar, the way Depthcharge's ship looked like his vehicle mode)

One of the biggest let downs was that Magnus was a 'car carrier' again, not only that but he pretty much looked like he always looked. I was hoping for some variety.

But the Holo-scout was a BIG booster in the coolness factor.

18. SubotaiBaghatur

SubotaiBaghatur Borys of Ebe

These one-shots are too brief! I want more, this story was just warming up when it ended. We now have 5 unresolved stories thanks to these one-shots, I hope IDW doesnt fold anytime soon I am really enjoying this run.

The art was fantastic, very nice, hopefully we'll see more of Robby Musso.

19. Denyer

Denyer Shooty Dog Thing

The Magnus and Hot Rod ones felt pretty standalone, and I won't be upset if we don't see the Reapers again. Plenty to follow up in the Nightbeat and Shockwave/Dinobots plots...

Yeah, I did a bit of a double-take before realising he was standing inside it.

20. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

Another thing I liked about the art was Magnus's transformation sequence. Always wondered how he TFed without his cab detaching androtating and all that.