Spotlight: Soundwave

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by TreKain, Mar 21, 2007.

1. TreKain

TreKain Made of Sterner Stuff TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    OMG. Amazing issue.

A direct followup to Stormbringer, and some info on where the facsimile humans being used in Escalation came from. And Mt. St. Helens!

Although between this and the Movie Prequel #2 that is also out today...getting the sense of a running theme of TF excavations.

Best Line - "...Im sticking with my Ipod."

2. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Great issue. Anyone catch that tune that was playing on Soundwave on page one?

3. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    I didn't catch the tune, but it is the best IDW issue yet. Wow.

4. MilkManX

MilkManX TF Comicbook Fan

Dang. Must get to comic store today!

5. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    Oh,BTW, you really need to have read the Stormbringer mini and Spotlight: Shockwave to get enjoyment out of it.

6. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Picked it up but haven't read it yet.
    Both covers are way cool.
    Stupid Lone Star Comics got in one issue of the movie preview again.

7. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Issue was pretty good, but I've read better TF books by IDW. The art was superb. I like how Soundwave still has his G1 classic look for both robot and alt-mode. I also liked how it tried to fill in some holes from the Stormbringer story. RIP Laserbeak and Ravage. :(  I want to know how Soundwave went from being trapped in his alt-mode inside an active volcano......to a pawn shop?

8. Eamonn Prime

Eamonn Prime Active Member

Best part?

Ravage spoke!!
    Finally, back to the days when robots were robots, not actual mute animals!!

Yeah...how did Soudwave get from the volcano to the pawn shop?

Good issue, but not the best Spotlight yet. Focused too much on the larger plot and not enough on Soundwave. Like to have seen a more resolved storyline for a Spotlight.

9. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    maybe they didn't get their funding and had to pawn off the 20 year old cassette player they found? Or hell, maybe they did their funding and still pawned off the 20 year old cassette player. haha, I mean it was an ordinary 20 year old cassette player.

10. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    That's true, Eamonn. Soundwave suddenly found himself in a bigger plot, way over his head. Unlike him. But it was really fun nevertheless.

I still like the Shockwave spotlight best.

11. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    Very nice issue, 3rd-best Spotlight next to Shockwave & Nightbeat, IMO. Really helps to tie different plot strings together, and I'm pretty sure that the people who dug up Laserbeak are the heads of that secret organization that's hunting the TFs in Escalation.

I don't like that Soundwave doesn't have his G1-cartoon way of talking, however, or that Ravage talks.

12. Optimus

Optimus Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    YouTube:
    I'm guessing someone found Soundwave and thought he was an ordinary cassette player and pawned him off later on.

Excellent issue that ties everything together.

13. Denyer

Denyer Shooty Dog Thing

Personally, "dumb animal" casseticons are something I can't stand -- it ties into idea that because they have those robot modes, they should act like the animals (same goes for Dinobots, Predacons, etc. Transformers look like other things, they aren't actually other things.)

Plus Ravage was a major character and one of Megatron's few real friends in the UK comic (right back to the founding of the Decepticons), so seeing him as Soundwave's pet cat on TV got deeply annoying...

14. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Fun issue overall and I'd put it in the top three of the Spotlights released thusfar (behind Shockwave and Ultra Magnus), but noticed a few glitches. Random comments:

- Very good art overall; hope to see more TF stuff from this artist in the future.
    - Glad to see Ravage talking again and the return of a Soundwave character more similar to the Marvel G1 comics. I always hated the cartoon's Monosyllabic Lad and His Pets.
    - A little confused about Laserbeak's size in this. On page 11, he's not that much bigger than Hiro and a normal-size cassette player (Soundwave) takes up his whole mouth. Yet, on the last page, Laserbeak's head alone is the size of another adult human's entire body. I was under the impression that mass-displacement only allowed a TF to go from size A to size B, not adjust themselves across a broad range.
    - Concerning mass displacement, in TF:Escalation, Megatron makes a point about how difficult mass displacement is and how much energy it gives off; IIRC, he tells his troops to stand back at one point and all his transformations are accompanied by a flash of energy. Yet, in this, Soundwave uses mass displacement in his transformation and the only energy released is a small burst from his cassette window and eyes. Hopefully, this is some special 'power' of Soundwave's and something that will be explained.
    - On page 9, main panel, a fourth Decepticon (looks like Roadgrabber...or Roadblock, I always mix those two up) is shown in Bludgeon's base (he also appears to be helping load the ship on page 6). Soundwave never mentions him at all and he disappears for the remainder of the story.
    - On page 3, on Soundwave, an embossed Decepticon symbol is partially visible underneath the Photoshopped logo.

15. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    Yeah, but the Predacons and Dinobots have robot modes. Ravage and Laserbeak don't, and their beast modes aren't their disguise, that's their cassette modes. Therefore, it makes sense that Ravage and Laserbeak has similar beast modes before they acquired cassette modes. Thus, I always figured they were kind of the Transformers' equivalent of pets-- not really sentient on their own, more like drones for Soundwave to control.

16. Denyer

Denyer Shooty Dog Thing

We know Ravage did (same as Nightstalker, in State Games) and Laserbeak has a flight mode in MTMTE. Equally, Ravage got a humanoid robot mode in Beast Wars, and both got full profile/techspecs in the original era that showed they weren't drones -- as usual, it's the show that's odd-one-out there. Then you've got cases such as Grandslam and Raindance (cassette/tank and cassette/jet, each with their own separate personality.)

Some TFs just don't have a humanoid robot mode, or even an individual robot mode of any form.

Looking forward to this one, anyway -- have heard lots of good things so far. :) 

17. Infosaur

Infosaur Well-Known Member

That 4th Decepticon might be Finback,,, Going by the colors, he's one of the Decepticon Pretenders.

I dunno, I kinda liked Soundwave's TV version, but I really never liked 'talking' Ravage. I'm weird like that.

18. Denyer

Denyer Shooty Dog Thing

It tends to come down to what people read / watched first. I got toys and Ladybird books first, so usually prefer the techspecs (they're also the earliest written material that got used, from when Hasbro commissioned Marvel to create a backstory for the toyline.)

19. General Tekno

General Tekno Self-Styled #1 Lugnut Fan

News Credits:
    Now, it's too bad Hasbro released SW so soon, in a way.

They could have bundled a copy of the comic with the reissue. Or put an ad for the reissue inside the comic.

20. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Good, but not great. I learned nothing of Soundwave other than he is kinda two faced :(