Spotlight: Sideswipe Discussion (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Spartan Prime, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Spartan Prime

Spartan Prime is an apathetic douchebag

Since there isn't a thread about this issue yet, I'll kick one off.

I'll start by saying that given the 4-part arc of Revelations, they had a whole lot of 'bang' in a smaller-than-normal bag. I do think they did a good job of wrapping up the character plots they started throughout the rest of the preceding issues (almost every character with a purpose ended up getting what they wanted in one way or another), but the general plot as it stood did seem pushed to a conclusion.

Sideswipe, as feared, didn't have the dominant role in the issue many, myself included, hoped for, but he did have his highpoints. The ending with Gorlam Prime becomming a new Cybertron seemed like it was a good direction point in, but a little campy. I suppose they set it up well enough, but it did come out of nowhere in relation to everything else that could have been addressed.

And if the Autobot epilogue in All Hail Megatron #1 is to directly follow, there's still a lot of questions to be answered I figured would be addressed in this issue, like how is Prime so messed up, and how did Sunstreaker end up back with the Autobots.

Anyway, opinions, comment, speculations? Let's hear 'em.

2. Deadboy

Deadboy Well-Known Member

I found this issue to be a profound disappointment.

It never felt like a spotlight on Sideswipe, the main Revelation storyarc felt like it was rushed, and nothing seemed to conclude in a satisfactory manner. It just seemed like a lot of random fighting by a lot of random, personality-less characters. Too much was crammed into this; it could have used 2-3 more issues, easy.

The worst disappointment was Sideswipe's story, itself. OK, I get that Furman didn't want to make Sideswipe and Sunstreaker brothers, as it doesn't make sense for robots, but that Sunstreaker was Sideswipe's drill instructor? Ugh. So why was Sideswipe so obsessed with finding Sunstreaker, then?

Worse was the actual conclusion to that subplot. Sideswipe, after worrying about Sunstreaker in every single comic appearance he's had in this universe, basically gets to Earth, fights a few Decepticons and then wraps it all up by saying, basically, "oh, nevermind." We never even SAW Sunstreaker! This was the payoff we've been waiting for? Seriously, seriously lame.

3. MECHADOOM

MECHADOOM I'm Doombot and I know it

I think the "oh, nevermind" feel might have come from Furman, as a way to convey how he feels about the scuttling of his storyline.

4. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

Good call, you may be on to something there.

I've had my problems with Revelations, mainly with the format in which it was presented. To go from a series of mini-series that tell the main story to a series of kinda-sorta-but-not-really spotlight issues with the intent of wrapping everything up was very awkward. There wasn't a single thing about this issue that said "this story is about Sideswipe," which is what I thought was the whole point of the Spotlight series. Not only did Sunstreaker not show up, but the kids introduced way back in Transformers #0 didn't either. I don't even remember what happened to them. Last I saw, Ratchet was trying to revive them after they transported onto one of the Arks without life support. I think it's a real shame that IDW forced Simon Furman to wrap things up so quickly. He was obviously creating a very large tapestry here and I'm very disappointed that he wasn't given the chance to properly tell his story.

On the bright side, EJ Su's artwork was absolutely beautiful. I hope he sticks around with the new direction IDW is taking the Transformers.

5. Spartan Prime

Yeah, and nothing from what we've seen coming up seems to signify them reappearing, either. After the Orbital Jump to the Autobots ship, they were pushed so far under the rest of the story, even I had forgotten about them by now. They quit crossing my mind some while ago.

6. shadow panther

shadow panther Mechanically Insane

News Credits:
    what a huge waste of my hard earned $4.00

7. Deadboy

Deadboy Well-Known Member

I haven't exactly been paying attention to the IDW news lately; is there a link with more about that, or can someone give the basics?

8. Spartan Prime

Does anyone have an explanation for the EJ Su cover's random Autobot logo on Swipe's right arm? It's highly peculiar, oddly stretched, and very out of place...

9. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    dont forget there's still Maximum Dinobots coming out this winter

10. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

I think it was just a Photoshop error that nobody caught.

11. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

Read it. And while I love Furman's work in general I found this issue to be a disapointment. On the good side it wrapped up the Revealtions storyline without much in the way of dangling plots and we saw Sideswipe get to kick some aft.

On the bad side, the conclusion did seem rushed though it had enjoyable moments - seeing the pretender shells, Op defeating Galvatron and Nova Prime, Arcee having her revenge - again and again and again and again.

My biggest disapointment was Sideswipe though. For a spotlight that I''ve been anticipating for one of my favorite characters there wasn't much of him in it. I also have to get this off my chest too - SIDESWIPE AND SUNSTREAKER ARE SUPPOSED TO BE BROTHERS! IT'S ONE OF THE THINGS THAT MAKES THEN SO COOL! DON'T F!@# WITH IT FURMAN! :throw  I understand changing things up for characters who don't work in the past or just to do something a bit different. But doing that can always be hit or miss - (Wheelie spot - win), (Arcee spot - not so much). In this case though, I feel the need to rant and say IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT! Or as Suntreaker himself might say, DON'T MESS WITH PERFECTION!

At least Sunstreaker and Sideswipe were still partners in the form of a stike force duo which accounts for the bond between them in this universe. But if Furman really wanted to go this route and make Sideswipe resentful of Sunstreaker to the point he was rescuing him just because he had something to prove to his senior partner, only to change his mind and abandon him to his own fate, I wanted to see a FULL issue dedicated to fleshing out this idea, because despite what I said above, it's still interesting enough of an idea to explore, and I would have liked to see where it went. But of course this issue was so crammed full of other stuff we didn't get to see that, which makes for another disapointment for this issue. As Switch said, we never even got to see Sunstreaker and Hunter at all this issue.

Normally I don't rant like this, but after waiting so long for both a spot on Sideswipe and the conclusion to the Revealtions saga and finding neither satsifying, I felt the need to voice exactly why I felt this way. Sigh.

12. Lord Shockwave

Lord Shockwave Well-Known Member

Huh. That was actually a strong finish to something that held the potential for disaster. Like most, I was very worried about how this would end.

Instead, we get one of the greatest artistic performances in TF comic history and a deftly handled conclusion to a convoluted story that seemed to have no chance of finding a decent finish in the four spotlight issues it was allotted.

E.J.'s performance is spectacular, to say the least, the highlight of not only Revelations but of IDW's stint since tackling the Transformers. Not having been E.J.'s biggest fan, he certainly won me over here and accomplished something artistically that even the Roches and Figueroas of the world have to envy.

And again, as with the first two issues of this series, I have to credit Simon for making this story pallatable in the face of ridiculous constrictions placed upon him. Was it perfect? No. There were many gaps in the story that needed to be filled, and were either inadequately brought to conclusion, or simply ignored altogether. Again, no fault of Simon's.

It just really hurts to know that IDW could have given Simon two more measly issues to work with, and nobody would have suffered in the least from it, yet we would have had a much stronger finish. A finish that would have likely earned it's place amongst the great TF comic epics of the past like Target 2006.

Didn't like to see all the Con bigwigs get wasted in one fashion or other. Here's to hoping IDW gives Simon or Shane a chance to continue with these guys at some point. I guess potentially, we could see them again. None of them really got blown to bits. Granted, Jhiaxus didn't look too hot, but it was clearly stated the guy can't be killed while on Gorlam Prime.

Objectively speaking, without regard to the situation under which this story was presented, I would give this a "B". But despite it's flaws, this issue gets an "A" from me. Primarily because I can appreciate the challenge presented to Simon in doing this event justice and exceeding mine, and probably many others, expectations here. And certainly, with E.J.'s masterful performance, the flaws inherent here aren't even worth discussing.

Yep, an "A".

13. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

Maybe I am overreacting. I honestly thought the wrap up of everything was done pretty well given how much there was to wrap up, certainly many enjoyable moments there. So in that sense, Furman did do well in the way I've come to expect from one of my all time favorite comic book writers. But I'm still really annoyed about the brothers thing and Sideswipe not getting enough air time in his own spotlight. But it's not Furman's fault if they didn't give him enough issues to work with, you're right about that. And the art rocked though Acree's face looks pretty freaky, though I guess that's the point.

(I've been in a bad mood all day, and wild accusations in other threads that a guy like Furman would EVER be involved in "twincest robosex" with my faves Sunny and Sides just makes me more angry and want to puke.)

14. Skeeve

Skeeve Well-Known Member

As a child watching the original Transformers animated movie, I thought "how come none of the Autobots get to play hardball like the Decepticons do?" This issue gave me what I've wanted to see for years. The Autobots playing hardball. Sideswipe getting the opportunity to back up all his tough talk was awesome, even though I was disappointed that he didn't add much to the overall story.

15. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Many of the problems is due to things outside of Furman's control. This storyline was supposed to go on for *AT LEAST* another series afterwards. But hey, IDW wanted to run All Hail Megatron instead, so they pushed Furman and his story to one side, and gave him FOUR FUCKING ISSUES to wrap up the storyline.

16. KAGE

KAGE aka: GibsonKAGE

News Credits:
    I was "OK" with it, I guess if given another full on series all the events from the past issues would flow better. But seeing it wasent done that way I feel maybe some of the earlier -ION saga were kind'a pointless seeing how everything ended. They work for AHM but still kind'a meh*

The new Cybertron at the end was cool. But how a bunch of "humans" turned cyborgs evolved into machines in the fashion of a butterfly pretty much needs a bit more explaining for me. I could have gone without that part.

What would be cool is if IDW could do a sorce book like the Beast Wars to clear everything up, something like the More Than Meets The Eye line from DW.

But over all Im still cool on where things are going...

17. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You summed it up right there. I thought this was going to be epic fail, but wasn't as bad as I thought and no where near as bad as the way DW TF Armada ended.

Didn't tie up everything like the humans, but I guess that's a good thing in this case.

18. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    We'll probably find out about Hunter in Maximum Dinobots, and I hope Verity and Jimmy were transported to Earth off-page and meet up with the remaining Autobots on Earth.

19. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Given the time and space constraints, I can forgive Furman for the rushed feeling of the story. (especially having been in a similiar position myself once before) But it was his own fault that he was in the corner to begin with. All of his plots and subplots had to come to a conclusion at some point and the way he used the Spotlight series to just keep introducing more plots into his story I think hurt him more than it helped.

The Epic battle between OP and NP could have (and should have) been an issue by itself. How the Autobot team that got past Sixshot and Monstructor should have been given more time as well.

Then there is the whole New Cybertron. (home of the Micromasters and two dead Autobots) In which Hardhead is now a Zombie and I guess Nightbeat too as he was shot in the head in the cave as well. Call me crazy, as I know it's Furman's show and all, but if he's going to go through all of these new plots and characterizations, what's wrong with using a Headmaster as a heasdmaster? Why make Sunstreaker one, but not Hardhead or Nightbeat. Why even use Nebulos in the story if you're gonna make all of your HM's from Earth.

Like I said, it's his story, but it seems to me that he's going out of his way to change things rather than just tell a good story.

Just my :2c:  as a writer myself.

20. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Wait, Hardhead is a zombie? Mind telling me that part?