Spotlight: Prowl - Andy Schmidt Interview

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by SilverOptimus, Feb 20, 2010.

1. SilverOptimus

SilverOptimus Movie News Monster Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    • News Credit News Credit x 1
  2. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    Well, it's kinda backpedaling...bigtime.

3. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

IDW are masters of that art, still they are puttign out much better books now so it doesn't bother me as much as it once did.

4. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

i don't know, i think it would've been interesting to see things play out with the old prowl, since we only got a glimpse of it in 1/2 of an AHM issue =T

character arcs are more interesting when we have a solid foundation of who the character is before he undergoes some kind of transformation (pun intended).

def looking forward to the issue, but it's a shame roche's prowl didn't have more time in the sun.

5. Smokescreen

Smokescreen The Ultimate Gambler TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I agree that it would've been nice to see more development of the old Prowl, but I'm glad he's getting his own Spotlight. I hope they make mention of what he did to Kup and not just ignore that loose end since his characterization has changed.

6. Zherbus

Zherbus In Shogo Hasui, we trust.

News Credits:
    He's so nervous around boobs.

7. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

For some reason the Comics COntinuum site is not really working for me and I can't see yet another interview with Schmidt looking awkward talking about toy robots in the presence of a cute girl.

BUT... from what I'm hearing, it sounds like they're trying to cover their tracks, and in doing so KILLING one of the most exciting and promising subplots that IDW has ever put forward. What the HELL are they doing over there at IDW? The CODA Prowl episode was the most interesting, morally gray and smartly observed Prowl characterization EVER in the history of the franchise. And they're basically retconning it?

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU----!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is not an angry smiley angry enough to convey my bitterness at this turn...
    :gen069: :poke :throw :stick: 

zmog

8. Sideswipe80

Sideswipe80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I never did like Roche's Bombshell Prowl.

9. SMOG

At least it was a personality, and something that did fit with what he was supposed to be... rather than the blank slate he's usually depicted as.

The "pretender" remote-control plot was... weird but interesting. The best part is what it did for his character.

zmog

10. Sideswipe80

Sideswipe80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    While I'm not a fan of Furman's writing I liked his take on Prowl, especially in Infiltration. Not a fan of an Autobot using mind control like Bombshell. I still think DW did the best version of Prowl.

11. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Sounds like IDW is being reactive as opposed to proactive with their characters and stories.

"Fans are confused about Prowl, so we decided to push this through more quickly."
    "Ironhide died and people are upset, so we're rushing a mini-series about him."

Disappointing.

12. Mastodon

Mastodon Well-Known Member

I cannot believe people actually spend money on this.

13. Nerdicon

Nerdicon Caffene=Energon

Ebay:
    Maybe we should complain about the economy to them then they'll tape a bunch of hundreds to the issues. :sly: 

14. DJW107PRIME

DJW107PRIME Autobot Hero TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I like Roches Prowl I thought he was smooth & cool operator who was gonna get the job done.

15. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm sure there are financial factors at work, but instead of all these one-offs, spotlights, and mini-series, I wish they could just put everything into ONE book that published twice a month. The ongoing, the spotlights, the Bumblebee series, the Wreckers... no reason why that couldn't all be under one title. Would probably help them with their continuity problems as well.

Guess I'm getting older and just not appreciating the way things are organized. I finally dropped all the Avengers and X books for similar reasons - I just couldn't keep up with trying to gather information from a dozen different places.

16. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Who're you calling a geek?

News Credits:
    Indeed, if you don't like it stop buying it and then bitching about it. Tell IDW how you feel with your wallets, it's not that hard.

17. WhiteRabbit

WhiteRabbit Uncounted Outlier

News Credits:
    Except that this series was already well into production months before you even heard about it.

18. SMOG

Amen. I know it's cross-marketing designed to get us hooked on as many "feeds" as possible, to get our hard-earned cash... but I'm sick of it. I don't know if comics have gotten more incoherent, or whether I've just outgrown comics... to some degree, I'm sure it's a bit of both.

As KB said, I'm not digging this desperate, "reactive" comic writing style that IDW is working. I guess that's partially the influence of the internet, and the immediacy of feedback, but... come on guys! Their writing is all over the place, which means their editing is not showing any kind of firm hand.

And now, they've killed one of the most daring and interesting plot twists I've seen since IDW started.

zmog

19. SMOG

Finally got the link to the interview to work... here's my problem with this...

They've got a HUGE cast of characters to work with, a huge number of emotional, impulsive, altruistic, sensitive, empathetic, idealistic Autobot characters. There is NO LACK for humanity in the Autobot ranks. So what do they do?

The second one of the top Autobots starts behaving the way he was always supposed to... like a logical, calculating, emotionally suppressed plotter, befitting the highest ranked string-puller in the Bot military complex...

... they dial him back down to a generic, impulsive, noble, humane type, just like 90% of the other Autobots. I'm getting sort of sick of IDW radically altering TF characters as part of their "character arc", without actually doing the legwork of making us care about that character's personality BEFORE his life-changing new outlook (hello... Perceptor?)

And if IDW really had everything planned out so far in advance (nonsense, btw), they should have killed Nick Roche's story in CODA (despite the fact that I LOVED it) before it was published because it "didn't fit the direction or plotlines we were planning on following in the near future". That would have been a proper editorial decision, rather than just throwing a bunch of contradicting stories out and expecting the fans to eat it up...

...grumblegrumble...

zmog

20. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    No one knows what exactly I hear, or when I hear it, thanks ;) 

If Ironhide has indeed been planned for months, even before the character died in Transformers #1, then I expect the book to be well thought-out, give some clarity to a lot of issues, and be on par with some of the best that IDW has published.

But, like the Bumblebee mini-series, I am set to believe that the book will actually be boring, probably do nothing more than retcon more of things that have happened in the IDW-Universe, and leave the casual purchaser with buyer's remorse.

IDW started strong. This is my personal opinion, and not one of TFW2005, but maybe it's time someone else tackled the Transformers Universe. Dreamwave may have fallen apart due to the fact that the CEO was buying Porsches with the payroll budget, but at least their Universe was more or less self-contained and not retconning itself time and time again.

Marvel did fine. Dreamwave did fine. But for some reason IDW can't tackle these story issues. Maybe they need a stern editor who won't let a writer take a character in a different direction than what has been estabolished, or maybe the editor should just pay more attention to what the writers are doing so that they DON'T have to release a spotlight to "cover" the character's sudden change in personality. I'm not saying it's Andy's fault at all, I know he's the new guy, but where were the past editors during all of this?

Does Chris Ryall even do anything with Transformers now?