Spotlight Mirage Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Foster, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Only one TF comic out this week! This thread is for discussion of Spotlight: Mirage, due out today. With more and more of the Spotlight characters appearing in the mainline, these are becoming must-read issues.

Standard SPOILERS below. Read at your own risk!

2. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    The preview blurb:

Stepping into the spotlight is the infiltrator Mirage, an Autobot who has long questioned his allegiances in the war against Megatron. But when a temporal accident suddenly shunts him into an alternate timeline, he finally gets the chance to experience life as a Decepticon. Will he embrace his newfound power and wipe out the last of the Autobots, or sacrifice everything to save them?

3. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    do we know what both covers look like?

4. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Who're you calling a geek?

News Credits:
    I'll be waiting for the Grimlock Spotlight before I drive the half hour to my comic book store, but I'm excited about this story, it should prove to be interesting.

5. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    All I've seen other than the finished cover are the Guido concept/pencil/inked versions. The incentive cover is likely the inked version, but that's a guess.

Funny this issue hasn't gotten nearly the push the Arcee Spotlight did. I like Mirage a LOT more than Arcee.

6. Lucs

Lucs This Guy!

News Credits:
    I am in the same boat as you my friend, I like Mirage a lot more. I have mixed feeling on the Arcee comic but in the end I think I like it. The bit of origin Arcee talks about reminds me of Smurfette from the mostly all male Smurfs.

I love the idea of alternate universes and timelines so this Mirage should be quite a treat for me.

7. Railguard

Railguard Battalion Commander

Ebay:
    You know, my local (sort of local) comic book store gets his stuff in faster than my local Walmart.

8. DrSpengler

DrSpengler The Real Ghostbuster

Just finished it.

Honestly, it read more like a really long Mosaic than your usual plot-relevant Spotlight. It wasn't bad, just kinda "meh".

Guido's art was as awesome as ever, though.

9. TreKain

TreKain Made of Sterner Stuff TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That was my EXACT thought after reading it...extended Mosaic. Truly a one-off issue that some might argue is the whole point of the Spotlight series. I however like my side stories to tie in more with the ongoing story. Certainly not a terrible issue.

10. Primal

Primal Moderator

News Credits:
    Guido Guidi Cover
    [​IMG]

Guido Guidi 1:10 Incentive Sketch Cover
    [​IMG]

That's all.

11. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    thanks primal....

12. Zzeezz

Zzeezz Ambassador of Music TFW2005 Supporter

As a stand alone issue, I kind of liked it. Still, the reader is kind of just thrown into the middle of the story. Unless this connects to the mainline in some way that's going to be explained later on, I feel like Im missing something with this spotlight.

13. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I actually liked it a lot more on the second read. It was easy to dismiss this as "Oh, it's alternate dimension, of course he's a Decepticon" but Mirage really was EVIL here. It wasn't like Arcee, where you really couldn't see her as the same character from G1. And I think that was the point, despite showing Mirage on Earth in 1984 alt mode at the end, that this is the same guy that betrayed the Autobots, impaled his best friend Hound and threatened to murder a dying, helpless Jetfire. And he does it for profit. He dreams about these actions and in his dream, he LIKES who he is.

When we see him outside of the Spotlight, I sure as hell won't trust him. But that keeps things interesting. :D 

14. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    especially if cliffjumper with his trust nobody attitude comes into contact with him. Cliffjumper always was a bitch when it came to commitment like that.

15. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This was a nice refreshing change of pace for Furman, easy to follow, no big words a college graduate has never seen before in his life. Oh wait, no wonder, Furman didn't write this. :p  Also I loved the GEEWUNNY art, and the coloring was brilliant.

16. NightWatch

NightWatch Member

Ebay:
    I agree with this, it makes the current story line more interesting to have all these spotlights playing factoring into it, it also helps with setting up a history for this version of TF

17. Brunkion76

Brunkion76 HE>i

I also felt this lacked a certain depth,but i gotta say it was nice to see Hound really put the hurtin' on a few of those cons'.not sure if he's really the bot to bust up Soundwave,but i like the hard edge he is given.

18. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    ahahaha oh snap

19. mattarmstrong

mattarmstrong Well-Known Member

I like Mirage but I have always liked arcee and that spotlight on her is awesome

20. Somebody

Somebody ReBoot

News Credits:
    I think Furman Spotlights need to be distinguished from Other Spotlights - Furman uses his own Spotlights mainly to set up future -ion plots, whereas Other Writers' Spotlights - the occasional reference to Kup notwithstanding - don't seem to have any impact at all.