Spotlight: Hardhead/Revelation: Part Two Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Foster, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I've always wondered about this guy. In the glut, and I mean GLUT of characters introduced in the TF universe in 1987, I always wanted to know more about the individual Headmasters who served under Fort Max. Hardhead especially. The cartoon portrayed Hardhead as tough guy, end of story, yawn. Except when he started holding hands and flying in circles with the other Headmasters, which was, um, not very tough guy.

So I was happy to see Hardhead wind up on Earth in the IDW universe. The Autobot infiltration team needed some muscle and Hardhead abided. But the characterization never went beyond that.

To keep the action moving, we cut away to the other fronts of the Revelations story: the fallout from Cyclonus putting Thunderwing on guard duty for a Nega-Core on Corata-Vaz; the Wreckers engaging Thunderwing in an attempt to thwart what Nemesis Prime calls The Expansion; Arcee hot on the trail of Monstructor and beyond him, Jhiaxus, seeking vengeance for a forced gender reassignment surgery (I'd be crazed too!!); and finally the Autobot Pretenders and Dealer entering the action.

But what the Spotlight series is for is plumbing the depths of an individual in this vast universe. There's a real challenge in making a guy like Hardhead interesting, but Furman delivers. Here's the introduction:

Thick-skinned, uncompromising, by the numbers, his remit is to clean up the messes, see to damage limitation. Where others may balk or prevaricate, he steps up ready to do whatever needs doing... to whomever. A realist, he understands that 'bots like him have a shelf life, that the future is a big black hole just waiting to swallow him. His name... IS HARDHEAD!

I really liked this story, of Nightbeat's return to Gorlam Prime, now with Hardhead in tow and under orders to eliminate Nightbeat if he loses control. Nightbeat realizes the gap in his memory means he has likely been tampered with, and intends to retrace his steps, but suspects he may be a danger to the Autobots. Hardhead's response? A panel where he pauses, then says "sure." :lol 

Hardhead's inner narration is great. He keeps Nightbeat ahead of him, in his sights, and says he'll do what's necessary. And that it won't be the first time he's had to kill a comrade. He's a soldier, very aware of his mortality, and as their adventure progresses, Hardhead feels his options becoming fewer and fewer, until only his destiny remains. Shades of BW Dinobot meets Captain Willard from Apocalypse Now.

This planet has stopped. People are frozen in mid-stride, cars are parked in the road. Nightbeat observes the people here are in a state of sped-up evolution, and they sport techno-organic features. Hardhead finishes the thought: the people of Gorlam Prime are being turned into Transformers. The Autobots meet the finished product in just a few pages: Micromasters!

I'll leave the rest unsaid for now to avoid too much spoiling. Great action, very nice art, a lot more meat than All Hail Megatron has yet delivered!

Last edited: Jul 17, 2008
  2. Tim Formas

Tim Formas Old Man Administrator

News Credits:
    I loved this issue. The inner monlogue was definately great, as you said. My only worry going into the last two issues is how they'll wrap things up. If the teased battle that is mentioned towards the end of this book doesn't happen until Spotlight: Sideswipe, we'll be heavily shortchanged. That fight needs at least two books, given who the two combatants would be.

3. Prometheum5

Prometheum5 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Picked this up because I too have always wanted to see more of Hardhead... he's just about my favorite of the G1 HM toys, and I was interested in seeing some more about him... too bad that this Spotlight is pretty much all about some over-arcing Furman story I haven't been following... leading me to again question why I still bother grabbing TF comics at this point (rare occurrence that it is).

4. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    MAN, this comic was great. I am loving this SO MUCH MORE than AHM right now. Which pains me all the more that Furman has all of 2 issues to wrap this up, and there's still more questions than answers.

Also liked Hardhead's characterization, considerably more of it than we've gotten before (though that's obviously to be expected from a spotlight, of course).

As far as the plot goes, very interesting concept for introducing the Micromasters. But... man, did Furman just KILL OFF Nightbeat!? If true, never expected that, it's almost as unexpected as Furman killing off Grimlock...

"Hard. Head. It's more than just a name!"

And I think I can guess why Prime's the way he is in AHM #1, now...

What I wanna know is, who are the "other two" Negacore guardians? I can guess that Monstructor will be one, but I have no idea on the third...

I'm also curious as to what's going on with Jimmy Pink and Verity Carlo. They just seem to have dropped off the radar since Devastation ended.

5. TreKain

TreKain Made of Sterner Stuff TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    What I gathered is that Thunderwing, Monstructor, and Nightbeat (w/ micromasters) was supposed to be the 3rd.

6. Tim Formas

Tim Formas Old Man Administrator

News Credits:
    Could be Sixshot. Galvatron did take him from Earth when he was in statis-lock/shutdown in Devastation. Nightbeat's job wasn't to guard a Negacore (as far as we know), but to kill Optimus.

7. TreKain

TreKain Made of Sterner Stuff TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ah yes. Forgot about Sixshot.

8. Infosaur

Infosaur Well-Known Member

Duuuuuude! :jawdropper: :bay 

Shot to the head pointblank!

That was unexpected,,, and pretty badass.

I didn't have high expectations for the charachter because he wasn't one of my favorites, but it was an interesting depiction. An Autobot enforcer or "cleaner".

But is Nightbeat dead? And if not, will he be "himself" still?

9. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Maybe one of those Micromasters is named Muzzle and has a head alt mode. :) 

10. Beastbot X

News Credits:
    Ooo, totally forgot about him. Good call, he's almost certainly the third.

11. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

Are they still on Earth or did they go with the Autobots? I can't remember. What I want to know is WHAT HAPPENS TO IRONHIDE??? I keep hoping that the next issue set on Earth whether that turns out to be Doubledealer or Sideswipe will give us an answer.

12. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Given Verity is some kind of orphan and Jimmy... has no backstory, I think Ratchet took them with him when the Ark-32 left Earth because they have nobody else. Ironhide is also on Ark-32.

13. Beastbot X

News Credits:
    Yeah, they were beamed aboard to get out of the way of the bombs, but were almost killed in the process. Ratchet supposedly saved them, but that was the last we heard regarding those two.

14. MECHADOOM

MECHADOOM I'm Doombot and I know it

The paticular way in which Hardhead's face was drawn remided me of John Goodman as Walter from The Big Lebowski. The "glasses" certainly helped.

I liked this issue, but I don't know if I like how much of this Spotlight is not about Hardhead. This has scenes that are half a galaxy away, and while what's happening on Gorlam Prime DOES effect everything else, the inclusion of SO MUCH of this other action makes me think that budgets were cut for the central story. Really, what SHOULD be happening right now is there should be the next part of the "-ation" series books, in this case, "Revelation", as a six issue story arc, with the Spotlight action tying in. I'm guessing we're going to find out what's happening on earth in Sideswipe's Spotlight, but this(Hardhead's) seems a little crammed.

15. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Loved this issue, but is Hardhead dead? If not, then did he end up in the Dead Universe or something?(I'm new to the IDW-verse, I understand most of what's going on, just not all of it)

16. Lupis Convoy

Lupis Convoy Paw Prince Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Pretty Decent Story... This story arc has me wanting to dig into the old issues that I missed out on since I wasn't too big into thei reboot... I'm digging it.

17. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    It's a portal to the Dead Universe, that much we know from when Nightbeat was last here. We see here just how tough Hardhead is, with that point-blank laser rifle blast giving him a migraine but not much more.

I hope we see Hardhead survive the trip and is involved in the final confrontation with the First Ark crew, maybe holding Jhiaxus down while Arcee runs him through with her energon sword. I think she's preparing to make Jhiaxus a woman when she finally catches up with him. :D 

18. sunnyswipe

sunnyswipe autobot

News Credits:
    coupla points/ questions i have after reading spotlight:hardhead a few times-

1- are the combatacons amoung the dead at bonziatron's scout hut/base

2- are the nega-cores related to ore-13 seeded planets, and if so-

3- is this why grindcore and straxus (and sixshot?) are on earth in sl: sideswipe?

4-since nova prime (and the matrix?) can keep cybertronians alive in the dead universe, will hardhead have a chance when he skipped through the portal?

5- are landmine's, cloudburst's, waverider's and groundbreaker's families informed by prime of their suicide mission?:lol 

19. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    They weren't visible, even in the panel from Arcee's point of view, where the injured Action Masters were labelled. Don't know if they were reassigned, present at the attack, captured or what, and Arcee's too demented to have asked.
    Good question. We know Shockwave seeded more planets than Earth but it's not clear if Corata-Vaz was one of them.
    Cyclonus could only stay in our universe for a limited time. Maybe Hardhead will have a similar countdown. He seemed at ease with his demise, which in the fiction business usually means the end is not far away.
    If only there was some kind of protective shell they could wear to survive in a hostile environment, like Bludgeon and his crew had on Cybertron...

20. sunnyswipe

sunnyswipe autobot

News Credits:
    ...that drives its wearer insane...