Spotlight Grimlock Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Tim Formas, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Tim Formas

Tim Formas Old Man Administrator

News Credits:
    I'll put in a little spoiler space first....

Anyone who has seen the 5-page preview saw Grimlock awaking. Grimlock awakens, breaks out, ponders over his purpose now and the fate of his Dynobots. Meanwhile, we find out that Scorponok and his Machination was behind the breakout. After Grimlock escapes, Skywatch is ordered to get T.L. (Thunder Lizard) 2,3,4, and 5 activated.

Enter Grimlock vs. Scorponok battle. Grimlock has upper hand at first, but later gets beaten up as his has little firepower from his years in stasis. Uses his "recall" option to send him to wherever his original ship was. Luckily, ship was on Earth (apparently), frozen underneath ice.

Meanwhile, the Machination along with their inside man at Skywatch prepare to take control of the other Dynobots when Skywatch reactivates them. Leading to a future battle of...

Grimlock vs. Swoop, Slag, Sludge, and Snarl!

Other things we learned...
    Grimlock speaks the way he does because he voice processor is damaged (not a huge suprise)
    Definately confirms that it's after the majority of Autobots left Earth. Decepticons are said to start ravaging Earth soon.

2. sunnyswipe

sunnyswipe autobot

News Credits:
    i KNEW grimlock would lose the fight with scorponok- in the words of starscream "can this bot EVER win?!"lol

3. Spartan Prime

Spartan Prime is an apathetic douchebag

Not a real big believer of the whole "Grimlock is a badass" stereotype, he seems to get junk-punked at every turn.

I do hate his face with a passion. The "Grin-lock" mouth plate has to go (it's hard to pull off "badass" when you look so gosh-darned happy all the time), and his eyes don't look anything like the visor of previous incarnations, which makes it hard to feel like he's the same old Grimlock I've come to tolerate.

The "speech impediment" seemed forced early on, but he seemed to drop it after the one instance, which was a delight to me because I don't see the sense of having him working just fine after all those millenia with the only error being the way he talks...

Did note a few easter eggs during his escape, though- A Jurassic Park-style jeep and wheel-cover on the back of a vehicle, and a movie-esque Bumblebee (vehicle mode) on Page 10/Panel 1.

I'd give it a 6/10.

4. twincast X99

twincast X99 Drag racing to the sky.

the explained a few things about grimlock but it was okay. btw did anyone notice on page 19 scorponok's letter box is cut off?

5. Darkspeed

Darkspeed Avatar Freak

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, I saw that too... I figured I'd just part of bad batch, but I'm guessing the problem's a little more wide spread.

Alignment problems aside, a good Spotlight... But it didn't quite meet my expectations in the end. Story was solid, - a nice teaser of things to come, and a surprising insight to how Grimmy thinks - But between printing errors, the jumpy art and mixed batch of colouring, it was hard going to read through. Then again, I'm assuming there must've been a good reason to have three different colourists working on on comic.

But I'm really taken with the take on Grimlock's G1 form here, a very BW feel to him. If ony we'd gotten a toy like that of him...

Last edited: Apr 23, 2008
  6. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

rassmfrassm..for some reason, ~half the new books were delayed at my LCS. I skipped what they did have and just gotta go back tomorrow.

7. Acid Wing

Acid Wing Senior Alien TF Member

News Credits:
    Pretty solid spotlight, despite the colorists' variations. Looks like there might be a Megs vs. Scorpy fight in All Hail Megs series if that's what Furman is hinting at here. Other than that, I'm still not totally sold on the way the Dinobots are redesigned.

8. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Okay, who dropped the ball on this one?
    Seriously, IDW recall all these issues and publish this book again in a corrected form next month.

You can read any of my prior posts on the IDW comics and I have been a big proponent of them. I have stated many times that I feel like they are the best Transformers comics period.

But the errors have got to stop.
    Why has it become an IDW trademark to have word balloons pointing to the wrong character? It happens far too often. Unacceptable.

So Scorponok is obviously orbitally bouncing behind Grimlock, and Grimlock is readying his sword and turning to fight, but the narrative has him pondering his future on Earth? Okay, that's not odd.

Then Grimlock says he plans to return to Cybertron with Scorponok as his prisoner, but the word balloon points to Scorponok as if he is saying it.

Did I mention that all of that is kicked off by Grimlock having a great line (that I won't spoil) that is completely rendered impotent by a spelling error?

The story is surprisingly tight, but Marcello's artwork is surprisingly not.
    (Which I find unusual.)
    Grimlock appears to have a visor on some panels but separate eyes for most.
    Some of the panels look completely unfinished. On the page where Scorponok proposes his alliance there is not a straight line to be found.

IDW, did you learn nothing from Megatron: Origin?
    Do not give coloring duties to three individuals for one book.
    As if the spelling and wording errors weren't distracting enough, I'm reading a book that is dark and muted, then yellow and purple like an old Marvel comic, then everything is ablaze in orange.
    The Skyfire was buried under ice?
    Why then was the terrain around it bright orange like the Mojave Desert at dusk?

Big fan of IDW. Huge fan of Grimlock.
    I hated this book.
    FAIL

Attention: Andrew Steven Harris you did not do your job.

9. General Tekno

General Tekno Self-Styled #1 Lugnut Fan

News Credits:
    Agreed. The pages that Liam did were alright - the rest were utter crap coloring-wise.

(He posted over at the Allspark which ones were his)

10. Tim Formas

Tim Formas Old Man Administrator

News Credits:
    I was also disappointed to find out that the one cover with Grimlock's head breaking through glass/stone/whatever wasn't actually an available cover. According to the inside cover, there one only the one regular cover with Scorponok's shadow and the incentive was the sketch version of that. If that is indeed the case, major FAIL on IDW hyping that image.

11. sunnyswipe

sunnyswipe autobot

News Credits:
    grimlock getting beat.....bad colouring....bad editing.....no plot advancement.....TEETH...still, i REALLY like this issue, and i cant place why, perhaps ive just felt lost without my regular dose of grim-love lol

12. sunnyswipe

sunnyswipe autobot

News Credits:
    the colouring....the spelling.....the editing.....no plot advancement....grimlock getting beat (again)......TEETH...and i still love this issue, cant quite place it, perhaps ive just missed my monthly dose of grim-love lol

edit- sorry for the double post, the first one didnt show up on my screen!

13. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    so, i just read this and think this is probably the worst spotlight so far...and i really dig IDW alot...its grown on me so much, but nothing happened really...and grimlock's speech impediment concept was great...but after the first line, it was fixed? WTF...that's ultra lame...part of grimlocks appeal to me has always been the choppy way he talks...

i really got a vibe of grimlock that i experienced watching grimlocks new brain...which is a fun episode, but would've driven me nuts if they took it any further, which IDW seems to be doing...

and the art...ugh...can't even say anything about it...i had to flip back to the front to reread the first few pages to make sure i hadn't picked up an old marvel comic...this was all just barely OK for me...hopefully this isnt a sign of IDW slipping...

14. leadsled

leadsled the word is "Mortifying"

all i have to say is SLOPPY

for a delayed book , youd think they could pull up there pants and make sure there were no screwups and proper colouring, pencils and inks were super rushed , Matere is capable of so much more then this...they must`ve given him a week to do it or something

I am thankfull the`re is transformer comics around for me to buy

but i miss Dreamwave so much with the recent books ive bought , at least with dreamwave , you had a consistant fun book to buy every month that was well writen, art and colours that were fantastic (for the most part) and had you salivating for the next one , and there were never any foul ups ( pat lee non withstanding)

spotlight acree....transvetite transformers , absolute BS
    devestation......6 months of buying a book so that the last issue could let everyone down...
    spotlight mirage....what the hell was that about ?
    spotlight ramjet....and the point was.........?

the amount of screwups i find mind boggling for a company thats trying to create a name for its self in a incredibly tough market

as far as i can tell IDW has the license to print transformer comic books which in there eyes is a license to print money , so why give a damm right ?

15. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    I was a huge fan of the Dreamwave series, still am, but I sure as hell didn't get a monthly book. Well, let me scratch that. With the glut of shit they put out; I was getting a Transformers comic a month but it was rarely a consecutive series. I remember tons delays with the G1 first and second minis and the ongoing.

And no foul ups? How about dividing the fan-base by basically retreading the entire second season of the cartoon leading into the movie and having nothing but stereotyped characters. OMG Warpth'd talkd in an accent!!! is not good story telling. And lets not get started Supa Saiyan SunStorm and his almost 5 issue light show to only end in his death. Micromasters?

Not at all. Since Transformers have no gender at all; it showed the psychological impact of being given gender and the way you're then viewed. There were no transvestites anywhere near the book.
    I don't know about that. It certainly changed the status quo of the entire IDW TF-verse. Decepticons controlling Earth now is a pretty cool idea.
    Zodiac Energy and building what's called a subplot.
    To tell a fun stand alone tale inside the IDWverse

Well, their Angel comic is their highest selling comic ever. And it's been kicking the shit outta the Transformers series in sales since it's release.

IDW sold comics before the TF License and they will after. Not making an excuse but I see errors in the Big Two's published works all the time. No reason to have a shit-fit because it's happening in Transformers. Think of the colouring errors as a homage to the G1 Cartoon. Every mistaken colour is really just a finger nail on the animation cell. : D

I think you're VASTLY over estimating our fan-base.

This book certainly had it's flaws, which I have a feeling will be fixed up when it's released in trade format. That's not an excuse for the errors but as a stand alone issue it was a great sequel to the Shockwave Spotlight and it certainly set up future plot lines. We're all entitled to out opinions but I think was one of the better IDW comics in a while.

16. Op_Prime

Op_Prime One With The Matrix TFW2005 Supporter

Ok, I wouldn't say there wasn'[t any plot advancement in this issues, and I can't say I didn't elicit some enjoyment out of the issue, but in my opinion, this issue was marred because of some real sloppy editing. I didn't mind if IDW slips up only once or twice, but this has been happening with alarming regularity. Come on IDW, I love the TF universe you are trying to build up here, and you've been publishing Transformers comics for quite a while already, there shouldn't be such mistakes popping up every other issue.

I'd probably still buy their comics even if the trend continues, because I'm sheep.

17. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i thought it was gonna be in this ish but doesnt seem so. in which issue are the constructicons goofing off like in that guys sig?

18. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That's going to be in All Hail Megatron. It was also in the preview in the Focus on Decepticons.

19. Blitz Wing

Blitz Wing Triple Threat

I was a little disappointed by this issue. I was expecting more plot advancement than what we got. Essentially all that happened was that Grimlock was activated, turned down Scorpy's offer to join him, fought a bit, and then retreated to his ship.

The whole thing just seemed like a set up for future issues. If this story was a part of some type of ongoing run, it would be ok, but as a standalone, it just leaves me wanting more. Luckily they just announced plans for a Dynobot Mini, so at least we know they are actually planning to follow up on this.

Also, the quality of the artwork seemed to die off right around when Grimlock reached the water. The whole fight scene seemed very rushed. Hopefully Revelations will be better than this offering.

20. LightningZERO

LightningZERO The Alternity

News Credits:
    I kinda like this story, wonder if there will be some sort of sequel