Spotlight Galvatron *Spoilers*

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Gears, Jul 5, 2007.

1. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Fantastic art by Guido Guidi. First of all IDW's Galvatron is a separate character from Megatron, and Galvatron has been around since the Golden Age of Cybertron. The issue begins with Galvatron laying waste to an alien ship, and talking about his master, but not saying who it is. Flash to Cybertron where Sideswipe is complaining that he should be stationed on earth to help look for Sunstreaker. He calls Ratchet on Earth and requests another transfer. Commander Hound hears the transmission and gets into an argument with Sideswipe. Apparently Hounds group is guarding the remains of Thunderwing. Galvatron has a flashback to the Golden Age of Cybertron and they show how he used to be an explorer, but still wreckless. This of course was before any Autobot or Decepticon factions. Flash to the present, Galvatron (still with no faction symbol) arrives at Cybertron and kills Leadfoot. Sideswipe and Galvie get it on. Hound, Warpath, Skram and Road Rocket join the scuffle. Galvatron wins the fight but lets them live for some reason. Galvatron steals the remains of Thunderwing for his master. The end? I thought the issue was pretty cool. Definitely enjoyed seeing the interaction between Hound and Sideswipe. :thumb 

2. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Pretty good. Not sure about the last couple of Spotlilghts being about someone then not focusing on them very much. I guess this is part of the difficulty of the way IDW wants to handle things... still, pretty neat, much better than the Megatron one.

3. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    sounds like a good weekend for TF comics. guido has never disappoint.

4. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

I really enjoyed it. There were a couple of instances that lead me to believe that Galvatron was something less than alive. Not really a zombie, per se, but not quite operating at full capacity either. For instance, Sideswipe shoots him in the head and he collapses, only to get back up. Then Skram exclaims "He's not dead!" To which Galvatron replies "Wrong." Could it have something to do with the so called Dead Universe he explored? Just like with all of IDW's books, there's something else going on here, behind the scenes.

5. Optimus

Optimus Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    YouTube:
    I enjoyed it. I am desperately wanting to see what the events that happened here lead up to. I also hope that we get to learn what happened to Ark-1.

6. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I enjoyed it.
    Answered a lingering question from Nightbeat's Spotlight, tied in with the next Earth bound arc, had Hound and a nice little Time Wars reference where Galvatron got half his face blown off.

I'm curious as to who Galvatron is working for.

7. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Furman is doing a good job of setting up a long running plot with a pay off. Since all the Transformers books(except reprints) are connected it allows for a much wider story that in the Dreamwave Mini's.

8. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

I wonder if there's still some relation between Galvatron and Megatron. The giant arm cannon is a pretty unique character trait that they both share. I wouldn't say brothers because Galvatron obviously now predates Megatron but there are still some pretty obvious similarities between the two.

9. Optimus

Optimus Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    YouTube:
    My guess is that it's someone from the dead universe, or the captain of the Ark-1.

I also wonder what he wants with Thunderwing.

10. Zzeezz

Zzeezz Ambassador of Music TFW2005 Supporter

Guido's art just flat out blew me away in this issue. There were several panels that would make for great posters, and I really liked the character model sheets at the end of the book.

11. Op_Prime

Op_Prime One With The Matrix TFW2005 Supporter

I haven't gotten the book yet but, Holy Shit! As a guy who grew up on G2, Gratuitous use of G2 characteres FTW! I love Skram! He was one of my favourite toys growing up. Pity about Leadfoot though.

I'm probably the only idiot excited about things like this.

12. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So Galvatron is not Megatron, huh? Interesting twist on the TFs mythos...I wished that wasn't the case though.

I under Simon plans to redo everything but IMO sometimes should remain the same. The concept o Galvatron was meant to be an upgrade of Megatron...more powerful, more evil etc.

And if IDW's take on TF is supposed to be a revamp, the "spotlight" issue on Shockwave is so similar to the Marvel G1 comic's version.

13. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I like that Galvatron isn't the same character as Megatron. I think the concept of "upgrading" Megatron takes away from Megatron, making him a "filler" until he becomes Galvatron. This way we can have both characters at once, without time travel or any of that nonsense.

14. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    Very nice issue, though it definitely doesn't stand at all on its own, unlike most of the other Spotlights. VERY curious to see where this all leads.

From both some of the exposition in this issue and a certain panel in Escalation #6, I've got a strong hunch it's Nemesis Prime.

15. Zzeezz

Zzeezz Ambassador of Music TFW2005 Supporter

I don't think Megatron upgrading to Galvatron is all that crucial. I, for one, am glad that they changed this up a bit. It was ok the first couple of times, but its getting old.

16. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

I'm very happy that Galvatron and Megatron aren't the same person. However, there's a problem with this Spotlight that was also present in Nightbeat's spotlight: it's not self contained.

It felt like an episode of Lost that asked lots of questions and didn't really answer any, but fools you into thinking some questions were answered. I can see that Galvatron has a link to the liquid-metal pool, but we didn't know what the pool does, or anything about it. We learned a lot of questions about Galvatron, but zero answers. I'm aware that ongoing series and mini-series can have opening issues that ask fifty questions without a single answer, but this is a spotlight, which is another word for "one shot." A one-shot does not obey the same rules as an ongoing series, and it has to have a story that is at least more self-contained than one that is "issue 3" in a multi-issue arc. If this book had been, say, "Galvatron Origins #1," then I'd have no complaint whatseoever.

I guess it's kind of a plot development that Galvatron took Thunderwing's body, but again, it doesn't ring true when we don't know why he did it. We don't even get a good sense of Galvatron's personality. I would've really appreciated a sentence saying exactly why Galvatron considers himself dead. Or it might even be a nice plot twist at the end when we find out the identity of his boss, because Ryall said Unicron isn't planned in the IDW-verse, and whoever his boss was, it would've been a neat twist.

I can already predict what the responses are, and I want to say I respect that a story can't give everything away at once. I respect that every book is part of an over-arching storyline, and that's why I keep coming back for more with the IDW-verse. But the Galvatron spotlight didn't move the story forward, didn't answer anything. The same book could've been accomplished as a 10-issue supplement in another issue, know what I mean?

I use the Ultra Magnus spotlight as a counter-example. Yes, it opened some mysteries...yes, it left some things dangling (like Scorponok's fate and Swindle getting away). But it had a beginning and an end, where we learn that Scorponok has been creating headmasters. I don't have the same rewarding feeling from the Galvatron spotlight.

Sorry to sound so negative. I really enjoyed the art, and I usually enjoy Furman's writings, but I guess Lost turned me off to mysteries where each individual episode/issue brings a negligible portion of meat to the table.

17. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hmmm, good point especially the "time travelling" point.

18. TILALLR1

TILALLR1 'Til All Are One

Also, in the marvel series we had both Megs and Galvatron so all is good.

I think its pretty obvious that Galvatron's master is Unicron.

19. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    Furman has stated no Unicron, so that's ruled out.

Great issue, but more questions than answers. Can't wait for Devastation.

20. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    So who all was fighting Galvatron on the cover? I saw Starscream, SS's pretender shell, Sunstorm and Gnaw. Couldn't make out the rest.