Spotlight: Doubledealer Discussion(SPOILERS, etc.)

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by MECHADOOM, Aug 20, 2008.

1. MECHADOOM

MECHADOOM I'm Doombot and I know it

So I'll get the ball rolling on this one.

I gotta say, reading the blurb at the beginning of this book ruined the parts of the book that ACTUALLY dealt(heh) with the title character, in the way a person who's already seen a movie sitting next to you and they blurt out "Oh, this is part with the pencil in the eye!" I've noticed this in SOME of the other Spotlights, but not to this extent. Beyond that... the "Revelation" parts of this book were too brief to feel as though much ground was covered in certain plot threads(Jhiaxus, I'm looking at you... for a split second).

But I did like what I saw, Don't get me wrong. I just wish there were more pages to read, more space for the story to breath. I kinda think they're working towards a book where every panel is a scene cut, where everyone gets ONE word balloon, with nothing but Furmanisms as monolouges(wouldn't that be hillarious? they shoud totally do that up).

Thoughts?

2. Lord Shockwave

Lord Shockwave Well-Known Member

Poor, poor Simon.

Here is when you know the guy was pulling his hair out (if he had any) after having to suffer wrapping up a two year arc in four issues.

Speeding up the pace worked great the last two issues.

Here, we just get a jumbled manic mess, a mad dash to tie up loose threads any way we can, ala Transformers Marvel #80.

But you know what? It would still have been rather good had the art not been some of the worst I've seen since Megatron:Origins. Khanna only adds to the 'jumbleness', if that's even a word.

This story is also full of plot devices. The Magnificence is a glorified Bat-computer (you know, the one from the 70's Batman show that spit out the answer to every conceivable question). Who knows what the hell The Darkness is? Oh, and throw the Matrix in their too! Here comes Bludgeon, as if there weren't enough bots running around as it is.

Jumble, jumble, jumble.

Ah well, it was expected, wasn't it?

Take nothing away from Simon, the guy is performing brain surgery with a toothpick here. And actually pulling it off, for the most part.

Again, had Nick or Guido or Don pencilled this, I guarantee that, despite the manic pitch of this issue, it would have been a pretty good comic. It's just that the characters, like Nemesis Prime, looked so very stumpy and silly drawn as they were.

I think the thing that bothers me most about what's going on is the fact that all of the major bigwigs of Transformers lore are crammed into this tale as puppets and pawns with no chance for real characterization.

I mean, if you want to use Straxus or Sixshot or Thunderwing, why just have them all in there for us to just look at and say "Oh look, there's such and such".

I mean, they say hardly a word, carrying out menial tasks like digging Energon holes and guarding caves.

Again, I think this is a result of Simon being forced to wrap this up. I bet my bottom dollar if he knew it would end like this, he would have waited to use these guys in a way more befitting their status.

To be honest, I wish Straxus, Sixshot, Jhiaxus,etc. etc had been replaced by mindless generic drones of Nemesis Prime, thusly leaving these bigwigs for greater future tales down the road, a chance for them to get the attention these TF legends deserve.

Give it a "C+". Feeling the pinch here as we wind down at a manic pace.

Despite that, kudos to Simon again, for working magic here without so much as a wand or rabbit.

3. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I just read it, how the hell are they going to wrap up nest issue:

1. Sideswipe's character (I mean it's his Spotlight)
    2. Nemesis Prime/Op Prime fight
    3. Other Dead Universe characters
    4. Arcee

I'm sure I'm still missing other dangling plot threads....

4. Acid Wing

Acid Wing Senior Alien TF Member

News Credits:
    To tell you the truth, not as spectacular as last issue, but still solid. As for Khanna's art, I still think it's great, but suffered somewhat from the way the inker interperted Khanna's pencils.

5. Spartan Prime

Spartan Prime is an apathetic douchebag

Thing tend to fluxuate between "good" and "crap" with evry isue IDW puts out. The Magnificance being nothing more than a glorified Magic 8 Ball was a bit of a let down. No flashy lights? No magic mental images or holograms? Just spoken word answers?

A good lead-up, and I'm glad to see they keep going back to Leadfoot's death. Shows that he, despite being a fodder character, had some ramifications in his death. I just want to see all these threads get tied up in one issue and not have it muddled.

6. 6th Dinobot

6th Dinobot Well-Known Member

I think we all need to look at the underlying message that simon began telling us back in spotlight Galvatron.

If you are a Generation 2 Autobot, you will die a horrible, decaying death.

7. Darkspeed

Darkspeed Avatar Freak

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have to say, I am disappointed... This sorely needed to be a six issue arc, and because of all the different stories going on here, it's really suffering because of it. But credit to Furman, he is doing the best he can with the time he's been given, and I have faith he'll finish it up in the best way possible.

But I do have one big problem... The Magnificence was a bad idea. We have the font of all knowledge here, and it's just a magic hat that Hot Rod uses to pull all the answers out of. If this is all it was meant for in the long run, then they did us a disservice introducing it. Disappointing.

Doubledealer was an interesting character; smarmy and full of himself, he got what he deserved in the end. Other than that... wasn't that much more to him. Hard to relate to him in this case, so probably best his dislogue wasn't as in depth as the other Spotlights.

Otherr than that, nice to see Nemesis finally making his entrance, and kicking Optimus's arse. But the unnessessary reintroduction of Bludgeon realyl hacked me off... When did Jhiaxus get a chaance to chip him?

EDIT: Sorry, forgoet to mention how good the artwork was; never heard of Dan Khanna, but he did a great job!

8. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    The only thing I can think of regarding Bludgeon is... Nemesis Prime seized him before he made his presence known to Fort Max and Prime? Hell if I know.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2008
  9. Op_Prime

Op_Prime One With The Matrix TFW2005 Supporter

This desperately needed more issues, or at least needed to seperate itself from the Revelations storyline. It worked with Cyclonus because he was at the forefront of the Revelations arc, and it worked with Hardhead because, as he says, he's a bot of few words. But Doubledealer had the potential to be a more complex character, definitely needed more time to flesh him out.

Also the Magnfificience, other than being a mere magic 8-ball, it all just seems rather Deus Ex Machina. The whole last two pages seemed like a desperate effort for Furman to play all the cards he had left to show, but I really can't blame him for that.

On another note, I'm saddened by the death of Manta Ray. I loved the G2 Rotor Force toys, and with Leadfoot dead as well, both Autobot members have been KIA'd by the Dead Universe's forces.

Now we have Sideswipe's spotlight next. I wondering how Furman will pull off finishing up everything while giving old Sideswipe his fair share of the limelight.

10. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Manta Ray and Drench, wasn't it?

11. 6th Dinobot

6th Dinobot Well-Known Member

Yes. He was referring to how leadfoot died in spotlight: galvatron.

12. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Sorry I wasn't clear, I was asking who was the second bot Nova killed. I picked up a mess of G2 this summer for the first time and I still get them mixed up. :p 

13. Darkspeed

Darkspeed Avatar Freak

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yes, the two bots killed in this isse were Drench and Manta Ray.

14. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

Eh. After Cyclonus and Hardhead, I knew what to expect from this. I give kudos for everyone involved that made the book as good as it could be. But it's very obvious that so much more was planned, and it felt more like a recap of important events than the actual events themselves. It feels like I'm getting the whole G2 story in 4 issues.

15. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Why the hell is the IDW continuity trying to wrap itself up this fast?

Furman's work always suffers under a strict and limited deadline, and it's really getting cramped in these Revelations books. :(  He'd regained some decent pacing over the last couple main-series-continuity things and now it's starting to feel like Dreamwave minis all over again.

Holding out hope that Spotlight:Sideswipe still pulls off a decent conclusion. But this buttrush to catch the continuity up to AHM is rubbing me the wrong way.

Still like someone said before, Furman's doing a pretty good job considering how he's been tasked to wrap up piles of storyline extremely fast and without much space. But it feels like a step backwards from the "ongoing even though it's sold like minis" IDW was doing before.

16. Lord Of Tetris

I've been thinking about it, and just about the only way Spotlight: Sideswipe can possibly do any justice to the huge amount of buildup is to have some kind of cliffhanger ending. The characters simply deserve to be done well.

Mind you, I'm not saying that Nemesis Prime, Straxus, Cyclonus, etc, are interesting characters. Far from it, they've been built up to be important, but we really don't know a thing about them. We don't know exactly what the "dead universe" is, and I only have a vague guess at Nemesis Prime's ultimate plot. I honestly don't care about the DU crew right now, because they showed up like 3 issues ago and have no discernible personality. I have no doubt that, if Simon were to keep making the book last for another dozen issues, Simon could make them just as memorable as G1 Scorponok or G2 Jhiaxus.

To make another example: Remember Venom from Spider-Man 3? I'm aware that there's a rich history out there, with many worthwhile and classic Venom stories. He's got a huge following, he's a great character, and he looks cool. Spider-Man 3 rushed the poor guy, and he sort of just became some last-minute threat we are supposed to be impressed with, but really. If you didn't have any knowledge of who Venom was, Spider-Man 3 would be REALLY weird. Right now, I feel like Monstructor, Bludgeon, Straxus, Grindcore (who?), Cyclonus, and Nemesis Prime are all Venom-like surrogates for a real villain.

I know that Nemesis Prime has been awesome in the previous series and the cartoons. I remember Straxus' terrifying role in the 80s comics. I know that Simon can do better with these characters, and I just feel sad that it's not even his fault that he has to rush it.

It might be better if, say, Spotlight: Sideswipe just offered an explanation for Nemesis' motivation and exposition for exactly what the hell is the Dead Universe. Maybe have Sideswipe and his friends finally take down Thunderwing, and they learn some kind of Furmanesque deus ex machina. End the issue with Arcee meeting Jhiaxus with the implicit hint the story will resume later.

Anywhoo, that's how I'd do it. But I know I won't get what I want, because IDW seems to mean it literally when they say Revelations is literally the conclusion to Simon's "-ation" story.

17. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I really liked this issue, but I don't see how Furman can wrap this up in one more issue.
    -Jimmy & Verity
    -Sunstreaker/Hunter(I have a hunch that Sideswipe will be involved in that resolution)
    -Machination/Scorponok(That'll probably be wrapped up in Maximum Dinobots though)

18. Lord Of Tetris

We also need to see:

-Jetfire vs. Bludgeon
    -Anybody vs. Monstructor
    -Banzaitron
    -Jhiaxus

19. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    And Sixshot!

20. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    I think Simon is killing off G2 dudes because they have relatively little chance of being used in AHM.

Bludgeon's spark was stripped and stored at Fort Max's prison. Its possible the Decepticons freed him when they raided the place for the Pretender Monsters and then Nemesis Prime took Bludgeon's spark when his forces attacked that Decepticon fleet for Monstructor.

IDW doesn't see Furman's stuff as their main TF product line anymore, so they don't really care how Simon wrapped it or even if he has time and space to do so. It's likely that they just want his stuff out of the way.