Spotlight: Cyclonus Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Foster, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Comes out today! :) 

2. Spartan Prime

Spartan Prime is an apathetic douchebag

Again, much like today's Wheelie Spotlight, I really enjoyed this issue. It was good to see the focus shift from Prime and his crew, to Hound and his (all the while updating characters from alot of the other Spotlights).

I always have, but I'm loving Sideswipe more and more everytime I see him.

The last panel made my eyes widen. Straxus!?

Who was the guy with Nemesis Prime on the far right, beside Jhiaxus? I didn't recognize him.

3. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    thats what i wondered...its NP in center, then jhiaxus to his right, then i dont know...

and the other way its galvatron, and kinda looked like deathsaurus too...but i'm not sure...

4. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    thats what i wondered...its NP in center, then jhiaxus to his right, then i dont know...

and the other way its galvatron, and kinda looked like deathsaurus too...but i'm not sure...

edit: he's straxus...looks similar though

5. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    I have no idea who the two guys are that are flanking the others on the last panel.

GREAT issue, though. Wish we could've had this as a 12-issue series instead of AHM. (Not that I'm saying AHM looks bad, just... not as interesting.)

6. Spartan Prime

The one on far left was Straxus. He was a low-level tyrant from Cybertron in the Marvel Comics. He was featured around issue #17 or so, and appeared up until Blaster managed to defeat him. I think he had a bigger role in the UK comics, but I'm not 100%.

He had a cameo as the security detail in Megatron Origins #4 when Starscream was on trial, which may or may not have been intended to be the same character, since the only two seen leaving the scene after that was Starscream and Soundwave.

7. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
  8. Infosaur

Infosaur Well-Known Member

Kinda cool seing the Autobots function as more of an intergalactic army. Hound has a ship and he has to keep his crew in line (okay really it's just Sideswipe). Prime making command decisions with real consequences.

Loved the scene with Prowl, Prime, Jetfire & Fort Max, but it took me a few more pages to find out "who was responsible?". (Jetfire's and Fort Max's exchanged glace cracked me up. I knew it couldn't be Jetfire,,, but Fort Max? Is he that badass in this version? Nah, the answer comes later)

What does Fort Max transform into in IDW's books anyway? He's much smaller than he's been portrayed in other books. He's about equal to Jetfire here, and although Jetfire has been about 20% bigger than Prime in the past, he only looks slightly taller here. Anyway, Max looks like he transforms into some sort of treaded vehicle.

Also I don't know if this is a nod to BW Depth Charge, but Magnus's ship looks like it could be his vehicle mode. Funny but kinda lame too.

Also the alt cover with "Animated Cyclonus" was VERRRY tempting, I went for the painted cover but man did ghoul Cyclonus looks good in the Animated style.

BTW did I mention how awesome and haunting Cyclonus looks in this book? Excellent work by EJ.

9. Acid Wing

Acid Wing Senior Alien TF Member

News Credits:
    All around, very solid and tight issue that managed to pick up from multiple dangling threads. Hopefully, Furman will keep this pace for the last 3 since 4 issues seem kinda tight IMO for such an "epic" storyline.

10. sunnyswipe

sunnyswipe autobot

News Credits:
    i think the look between max+jetfire was sort of a "it must have been arcee" kinda glance,
    i heard it was straxus, but it looks more like dethsausus to me....the other bloke is grindcore apparently,

also, im LOVING sideswipe in this, i was a bit wary that simon would screw him up after spotlight: galvatron, but he has him spot-on here, cocky, smug and doesnt giva a damn for hound.

the "you TELL him hound" line brought a smile to my face!

11. Darkspeed

Darkspeed Avatar Freak

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Brilliant start to the Revelations storyline... As said by Acid Wing, hopefully Furman can keep this pace going through the rest of it!

Thoughts of Cyclonus... A very well handled character, a good jumpstart for him. The scene with him against Hound's ship was a nice little nod to the scene in the original TF movie. Although he really ended up witht he same treatment as Galvatron in his arc in the end... Still, he's sure to reappear soon enough!

As for the other characters, nice to see Magnus, Hound and Sideswipe get more paneltime (Although Sunstreaker's attitude is grating on me a little), was hoping for more interaction with Jetfire and Fort Max, and a very scary Arcee probably set us up for another round with Monstructor pretty soon!

Brilliant last panel, showing off the rest of the Dead Universe crew... Nice one getting Straxus in there (I thought it was Liokaiser too), but disappointed they couldn't fit in Scourge. Who the hell is that on the right?

12. Spartan Prime

How do you figure? Grindcore has absolutely zero-similarity with the guy in the panel.

13. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I find Thunderwing a bit... underemployed. :lol 

14. Spartan Prime

I thought that too. This dynamic monster that brought Cybertron to ruin, almost twice? He took both Autobot and Decepticon advances and kept coming. Now he's demoted to "security detail" for a glowing green rock?

I imagine the "Nega-Core" will have a very important role to play. Otherwise, they completely wasted an opportunity.

15. Tim Formas

Tim Formas Old Man Administrator

News Credits:
    I'd have to look back at the previous issues, but it sort of looks like the last guy is Onslaught. Wasn't he part of the attack on the prison facility when they freed Monstructor? The chest plate is very Onslaught-ish, but other parts aren't quite what I remember from that scene.

16. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Onslaught did lead the jail break to take Monstructor, but they were working for Banzaitron, not Nemesis Prime.

17. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    The colorist confirmed it over on IDW's boards, its a new bot by Furman's design.
    DN

18. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

Looks more like Lone Star's Winnebago to me. :redface2: 

Good start to the series. Yay for Straxus and Jhiaxus and...that other guy?

19. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    Although obviously we have yet to really see, I think that's supposed to make the statement that "These Dead Universe guys are so tough, they put THUNDERWING on GUARD DUTY." I mean, Galvatron laid waste to the Reapers with no effort whatsoever. These guys are practically unstoppable.

20. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Oh! In that case, I give him two issues to live.