Spotlight: Cliffjumper (Spoilers Within!)

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Fairlady_Z, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

Didn't see a topic for this yet.

Anyway this was really good. Very stand alone. If the spotlights really are going on hiatus thats a shame because they've been my favorite book IDW puts out.

IDW has been finding some wonderful artists lately and Robby Musso is yet another to add to the list. His style is somewhat anime with the human characters. His layouts are great, but he's one of the few artists who seemed to remember what a splash pannel is for - not an overused devise for decompression but to show off a dramatic point of the story at the apropriate time. Cliffjumper never looked so badaft but its the dramatic impact of the story that really make that page work imho.

McCarthy strength again lies in these small character pieces not long epics. Cliffjumper is the Autobots top assasin who has crashed on a peaceful planet (Nebulos?) where he makes friends with a local pascifist girl and her little brother. Cliffjumper has a chance to sorta do a Stargate's Jack O'Neil in 100 Days before the Cons show up looking for him. It's a nice story about war and pascifism about appearances not being what they seem and Cliffjumper wondering why he does the job he does but in a way that is is very "show not tell" that I really liked. Won't spoil the ending though, go buy it!

The most praise though should go to the unsong colorist Joana LaFuente. It's the mood of her colors that really make the success of this issue. From the dark of Cliffjumper hiding from the Cons to the sunny pannels of him with the natives to the red of the violence when Cliffjumper attacks the Cons to the shadows of the forest and the setting sun at the end. This is a really beautiful book.

Again this is a great character piece, very stand alone, with some truly beautiful art. Highly recommended, especially for fans of the little red bot. Stories like this are truly what I think IDW does best, imho.

2. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    The spotlights aren't going on hiatus, they're just doing movie-verse based spotlights for the next "volume". If I remember right its going to be six different ones with characters like Bee, The Fallen, Ravage, and Arcee (assuming I've remembered that right, not 100% sure on Ravage).

3. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

I thought that was going to be a mini of one shots, not under the official spotlight banner but I could be wrong, either way, movie universe character focused one-shots are cool.

4. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    I dunno. I remember the next movie series is supposed to be "Tales of the Fallen", but Ryall outright calls them Spotlights RyallTime: IDW's new releases for June 3

Probably riding off the back of movie hype to boost sales, best case scenario is we'll see more IDWverse spotlights in 2010 when that line is done.

5. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    You've got those four right. Also there's a spotlight somewhere in the series for Sideswipe and, I think, Jetfire.

Anyways, regardling Spotlight: Cliffjumper-- I dunno. I didn't really see the point of this comic at all, moreso than any other IDW TF comic that's been put out. Usually in a spotlight issue, if it doesn't move the overarching plot forward it at least gives a lot of background history/characterization to the TF in question. This one really just kinda seemed to be... there. Not bad, not good, just... totally "meh" in every way.

6. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

i thought it was a touching story. the scene where CJ is hiding at the end is heartbreaking. that said, the story had no relation to the overall -ation/AMH series and didn't bring anything new to the table like spotlight blurr did. but i don't take great offense to that and will shelve it with the rest.

7. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    I wasnt expecting much from it but it was actually a pretty good read. Cliffjumper really is a badass

8. Ratchet2007

Ratchet2007 Neither Here Nor There

News Credits:
    Loved it when they realized it was Cliffjumper and he came running out

9. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I didn't understand anything of what happened in this comic. o_O 

10. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

I thought the writing for the Cliffjumper series wasn't that great. Cliffjumper was as unemtional as you could get. Especially seeing as how the little girl dies at the end. He has not reaction whatsoever. He left so callously too. I had a lot more respect for the Wheelie spotlight because at least Wheelie gave a damn.

11. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I liked it, but it really didn't add anything to any other IDW book. I couldn't tell if this is set before or after any other series because CJ doesn't undergo any change. Good story and art overall but it felt like it was only done to fill out the trade.

12. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

Not my favorite Spotlight, but not my least favorite (that would be Mirage)

13. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I liked it.
    It did contribute to the main story in that it showed Cliffjumper is indeed a bad ass.
    He sort of just appears in AHM and you suspect he is a scrapper because of previous versions of the character so it was nice to see an adventure of his in this continuity.

I think that one of the things that Shane McCarthy has been able to do well is show the considerations other races have for the Transformers.
    The sequence in Spotlight: Drift where the aliens see no difference between Autobot and Decepticon but just see big robots that bring war with them wherever they go is one of the best parts of that book.
    I really liked the part where Cliffjumper was unaware that his exterior was uncomfortably hot to organic skin.

The art was great.
    It was a little odd that the aliens were not human-sized, but it there was no lack in quality.
    The coloring on the panel where Cliffjumper is hiding under the tree and the branches cast a shadow over him is absolutely brilliant.

14. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

This was total garbage. Total garbage. Pointless nonsense of the highest order. Completely isolated, completely uninteresting and brought nothing at all to the table outside of some random factoids about stuff that could have been shoved in any number of the other books in a more meaningful fashion.

My dislike for Shane McCarthy continues to grow, just so pointless.