Customs: Spotlight classics Nightbeat

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Cecilia, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Cecilia

Cecilia Mechanical Princess

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Okies, I loved Moghtbeat in his Spotlight comic and thought of a custom idea using Animated Spundwave body and animated Jazz head.Basically, the alt mode in the comic is somewhat close to soundwave animated and the robot mod has a similar kinda squat stance. Also since I am not big in painiting, would give me little trouble just painting the gold parts here and there.

I´ve made two digibashes to test out my concepts:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

However while I already got Jazz, never had Soundwave in hand so I assume maybe I´d have to trian and modify jazz had to fit in...

Also maybe add to or add the outer chest piece from robot mode to add cool details and detract from the cassete player feel.

So... whaty experienced customizers could tell me? it is more or less my second custom, first is a WIP on a weaponized DOTM roadbuster deluxe... adding more weapons o.o

Any tip or help is welcome.

2. Nefud

Nefud Well-Known Member

I am not as experienced as some, but I think for your second custom you'll have an easier time with Jazz. Animated Soundwave has a lot more areas that rub together, and I think it'll look a lot closer to a Classics figure (since that seems like what you have in mind). Also, if you're getting into customizing, you gotta learn to paint sometime. :) 

3. Cecilia

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Thankies for the advice. Regarding Jazz, Animated has cool legs indeed, but the chest seection wouldn´t fit in with what I am trying to achive, also is quite skinny. Generations Jazz could work a bit closer in some points, but again there is the chest and lastl both of them are sports cars (which is the g1 alt mode, but I liked the idw one better as SUV).

However if it comes down to lock of options might try Jazz.

I´ve seen someone who used a generations blurr, very retooled and it looked nice too :) 

Regarding paint, I tried many techniques, but had only got decent results painting with model markers for small areas or a bit with small brushes and acrylic paint. Anything else eneded in kits destroyed or very deformed...

Any easy or safer way to paint wider areas or very noob oriented tutorial on painting?

Thankies!

4. Nefud

Nefud Well-Known Member

As far as mold selection, I always "go shopping" for the right mold using TFU.info's "ID Your Figure" feature. Here's the listing for blue cars:

Identify Your Blue Car Transformer - www.tfu.info

Right off the bat, I think Cybertron Hot Shot might be suitable (Hot Shot (2005) - Autobot - www.tfu.info).

As far as painting, there are some good painting tutorials on this forum. Have you looked here:

Tutorials and How Tos - TFW2005 - The 2005 Boards

Specifically, I would recommend this:

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/tutorials-how-tos/213294-jins-transformers-painting-guide.html

The hardest part is actually convincing yourself that it's that easy.

The second hardest part is not skipping any steps. Yes, you really do have to wash everything. Yes, you really do have to sand down potential rub areas. Yes, you really do have to clear-coat everything. That being said, if you can live with all that, you'll likely amaze yourself with how "from the factory" your customs can look.

5. Cecilia

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    wow thankies on the links, that one based on characterstics is great, considering hot shot now too :) 

As for painting, I am used to the first steos on process, but never tried drybrushing like in this toturial, might just work, thankies :) 

6. Nefud

Nefud Well-Known Member

Yeah that's the only downside of that tutorial, it starts with drybrushing for some reason. Just ignore that, and try a basecoat. If your first try doesn't go well, it might be due to the brand of paint or the brush or just learning the technique, don't be a dumbass like me and give up on acrylics for years because it didn't go well the first time.

7. Cecilia

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Guess material and washing might have played on my past failures.

For this project I am still mote invclined for soundwave yet, I was taking a look at reviews and the most dangerous rubbing parts I am to paint are the thighs and the chest, and I believe sanding plus chareful transformation might avoid issues, still while I wait on the soundwave to get here, might get the paints and try something else here, maybe the spoiler for roadbuster as well as paint some details on him :) 

That body of his tottally needs some silver XD

Thankies

8. grimlockprime

grimlockprime Well-Known Member

9. Cecilia

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):