Spotlight Blurr Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Tim Formas, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Caliber316

Caliber316 Casey W. Coller

The coloring of the shoulders was inspired by the pretender toy. When we were doing the character designs, Joana and I talked about that, and I really liked how it looked :) 

2. swarlock

swarlock Autobot Supporter

Yep. Truth be told. I really dislike when everything gets showhorned in for convienience. It's NOT really necessary.

3. cgibsonREX

cgibsonREX Knight of Cybertron

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    It was in Spotlight: Optimus Prime, it showed the line up of the Primes: Nova, Sentinel & Optimus.
    Optimus Spotlight PG3 by ~dcjosh on deviantART
    If there still sticking with continuity IDK?

But Blurr has to take place sometime before the 'Cons branded them self with the Decepticons symbol seeing that SS was still using a badge. So maybe Zeta came back to fill in for a dead Sentinel or like I was saying about more than one Prime being active.

4. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Dudes, we can just say Spotlight: Blurr fits into Shane McCarthy's own IDW continity. Not Furman's and certainly not Megatron Origin.

5. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    Not to cause any trouble, 'cuz quite frankly I loved your art in the issue... but why excactly did Starscream need to be redesigned at all? If this takes place at a time frame anywhere near Megatron:Origin he already had a Cybertronian mode.

(Not to say I don't love the design, mind you, 'cuz I do... but... y'know... )

6. Caliber316

Caliber316 Casey W. Coller

'sall good, man :) 

With the whole concept of "upgrades" being talked about a lot, the idea was to design Starscream before he really got upgraded into an armed-to-the-teeth warrior. If you notice, he has no weapons until the very last scene. I know this may clash a bit with M:O, but I can't really comment on that part. ;) 

7. MECHADOOM

MECHADOOM I'm Doombot and I know it

And who's to say how often they can or cannot reformat their appearance? I think it could be explored as a Decepticon Tactic, in that it adds a level of confusion for the Autobots. Like shaving off a fully grown beard after robbing a bank.

8. Boy who screams

Boy who screams Banned

This.

9. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

I liked this story if for no other reason that it finally made me believe Prime was the inspirational "Superman" character he's supposed to be. We've seen him as a soldier, we've seen him as a leader, but let's be honest, how often do they really potray him as inspiring anybody? Kudo to shane for finally making me a G1 Optimus fan, even if only for the one issue.

I also loved the art. It was gorgeous.

10. Primal Prime

Primal Prime Maximal

I just got mine yesterday. I really liked it. It was a great look at cybertron before the war/ right at the start of the war. A very interesting take on Blurr.

11. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    When I was a kid, the cartoon Optimus inspired me a lot.
    He always seemed to do the right thing -even if it hurt him in the process.

12. Silent_Magnus

Silent_Magnus Taint of Primus

News Credits:
    I'm going with this.
    I have yet to read AHM, but I don't see how this spotlight messes with Megatron: Origins.

Zeta probably didn't hold office long enough to really be recognized.
    Although I would like to see what he looks like.

13. Soundwave_FSD

Soundwave_FSD Yoda in a track suit...

I loved it!
    Great art.
    Great colors.
    Great character design.
    Great story. (even if cheesy/cliche)
    I picked up the B cover... It just works for me. This got me super excited for the generations Blurr figure.

(Zombie thread?)

14. Zeta Otaku

Zeta Otaku Who ya gonna call? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    indeed it's zombie! last post was from 2008!

15. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    Might as well use the old thread to discuss the story rather than start a new one. It's not as though you're digging up an old news story for comment a year later. And people read the fiction at different times.

I didn't get to read this story until AHM vol. 3, the Spotlight collection for that series.

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this particular story, because from the promos I had read it sounded way too obvious. I found though, that despite its simplicity, it's a very enjoyable slice of both Cybertron's history and Blurr's history as well. Blurr's always annoyed me in the past, but this particular origin story strips Blurr of his annoying hyper-nervousness and fast speech patterns and sets him up as a star athlete from pre-war Cybertron. I don't normally consider racecar drivers as athletes, but since Blurr drives himself and runs I guess he's the exception. [​IMG]

So what we have is a self-absorbed celebrity ("I don't watch the news, I am the news"), basking in his fame and living the high life, until it's all taken away from him. Both sides try to recruit him, but in the end he chooses the high road and his better impulses and takes the Autobot side, thanks to a good recruiting speech by a pre-Prime Optimus. Who reminds me a bit of Animated Prime, probably just because he has a mouth.

The art is nice and clean and effective, and the story's simplicity is its strength.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
  16. ORIO

ORIO Team Sentinel Prime Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Alright, I'll chime in if it's cool with the mod! I didn't read this issue until AHM #3 either and it was just amazing.

A few things I really liked:

-Bulkhead cameo
    -the swift draw lines for Blurr. The DC Flash vibe is way cooler for him then the G1 cartoon vibe.
    -Prime's silhouette in the background when he's talking to Blurr
    -seeing the effect of the war on Cybertron on other economics

Great read :) 

Also, totally gorgeous art.