Spotlight Blurr Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Tim Formas, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Tim Formas

Tim Formas Old Man Administrator

News Credits:
    I liked it! It seemed like it started off slow, but it really got moving. It was a nice window into the beginning of the Great War.

Loved Starscream's speech on what it means to be a Decepticon. Absolutely loved to see a pre-Prime Optimus. It was an interesting take on an Optimus Prime origin for IDW and makes a little more sense than the Dreamwave origin for Optimus.

And I demand an Optimus toy based off his character in this issue.

And I demand a toy based off the transport vehicle that Blurr rode around in. Oh wait...

2. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

I loved it! After the confusion and disapointment of Revelation, this is the best Spotlight since Wheelie. A simple stand alone character story that the spotlights were meant to be all along. For anyone who enjoys stories about pre-war/how some of your favorite characters entered the war Cybertron, I definately recommend it. The art is great! I'm not sure what else Casey Coller has done for IDW, but he's a great new talent that I want to see more of on Transformers. His designs of Blurr, Starscream, Kup, Ironhide, and a young Optimus are all very nice so much that I'd love to see a Classics Blurr or Optimus based on these designs.

My only question is who the heck is Zeta Prime and where does he fit in the Prime lineage?

3. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Sounds like he is a new character, Zeta Prime is a new name to me. Will judge more once I get a chance to read the issue.

4. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Great story about finding your true purpose. Highly recommended.

5. Lord Shockwave

Lord Shockwave Well-Known Member

Read it.

Didn't really do it for me, to be honest.

I mean, it achieves the goal of delivering a self contained character-driven one-shot.

But that's never really enough these days, is it? It just felt so generic and tired.

It's the same old cliche tale of a young punk who wakes up to the realities of his surroundings just in time to become a hero. It just felt like one of those old Furman character moments from the eighties rehashed, like an expanded version of a story you might find on the last page of an old UK TF comic or even in a Mosaic. Except back then, it was fresh and fun. Now it's just boring.

The dialogue was alright, the best moment in the story being Starscream's attempt at recruiting Blurr to the Decepticons over a few glasses of Energon. Cybertron's portrayal was well done. It's always nice to catch a glimpse of life on Cybertron pre-war. And the art was strong, so I was pleased there.

In the end though, the motivation behind Blurr's taking on the Autobot cause is not really convincing enough for me to really enjoy the moment. The whole "the lights, the roar" monologue at the end doesn't really do justice in explaining why Blurr is drawn to the Autobot cause. In fact, given his portrayal in the first half of this story, it would have made more sense if he joined the Decepticons.

After all, how does racing for personal glory and adoration, his initial characterization in the first half of the arc, lend itself to knowing "what I'm doing really matters" by joining the Autobot's and their selfless cause in the end? I know what Shane was trying to achieve as far a character development goes(ala Lightening McQueen, as someone so aptly mentioned), but the execution was weak, IMO. Maybe in the confines of a single issue, it's hard to achieve something like this as effectively as one would like.

That pivotal moment of self enlightenment, of self exploration followed by self determination so crucial in making this work is missed on me.

Also, the dialogue was so very Furmanesque, I would have sworn Simon wrote this.

I give it a "C". Good art, average story, average dialogue.

6. WhiteRabbit

WhiteRabbit Uncounted Outlier

News Credits:
    This was Casey's first book, and you'll definitely be seeing more of his work soon!

Blurr was Guido's design (fyi).

7. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I liked this one a lot. Partly due to the fact that my standards are so low now, but mostly bc this IS what a spotlight is supposed to be. Unlike the jam-conclusion-in-a-spotlight like Revelation ones.

Different take on Blurr. No longer just a fast talking chump, and fights the good fight at the end.

Recommended!

8. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    ....Um.

Was I the only one who noticed that this COMPLETELY and UTTERLY ignored Megatron: Origin?

I mean, the story itself was nice, if rather cliched, but that's what really got to me.

I have now officially given up any hope that McCarthy will even really attempt to explain many of the sudden discrepancies between the IDW verse up to this summer and AHM.

9. Tim Formas

Tim Formas Old Man Administrator

News Credits:
    I did notice it. I've just come to grips that McCarthy and Furman storyline will never completely gel.

10. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Local comic shop was shorted on the issue and they're not sure if they will even get it in now. Hope it's a good issue as I'll have to drive close to an hour to the big shop in Charlotte to pick it up now.

11. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I hear you. I was at my LCS at 11:45 am yesterday and bought the last issue. Usually that only happens with TF trades.

12. Beastbot X

News Credits:
    Well, it was certainly leaning that way, but I don't believe we knew for sure (my comic shop hasn't gotten in AHM #4 yet, though, so I don't know what's revealed in that one). I mean, we got a few hints, like them mentioning the Machination. A lot of people were thinking/hoping that the discrepancies would be explained as AHM continued. This, however... this is definitely irreconcileable.

13. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

I liked the issue and thought it was a good reintroduction of the Blurr character. It isn't a new story, by any means, but there's a reason stories like this are done over and over - because it works.

That said, I am sad to see The War Within storyline retired. Even though it was never officially recognized as canon, it still fit into the IDW universe. I rather enjoyed that story, despite the fact that Optimus started out as a data analyst. I'm also sad to see Don's pre-Earth designs discarded as well. Starscream's design in this issue doesn't compare to his design from The War Within.

Unfortunately, since this story doesn't mesh with the Megatron: Origin storyline and the new All Hail Megatron story doesn't exactly mesh with Simon Furman's "-ation" series, IDW's Transformers universe now feels like a complete mess. Furman had built one large tapestry that all the various Transformer series tied into, but now it all feels like bits and pieces that don't fit together. I love Transformers enough to stick with it, but it's a shame that it's come to this.

14. Darkspeed

Darkspeed Avatar Freak

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just a quick little moan before I go on... As good as the issue was, $5.25 CAN for a one-shot issue is really harsh! I hope the next Spotlight takes its sweet time getting here, because then I'll be able to afford it!

Anyways, that ugliness aside... A great story, probably the best Spotlight since Wheelie's. a ncie reinvention of Blurr as the arrogant celebrity. Everything moved along at a nice pace, and the cameo's of Starscream and Optimus were very cool! It's also refreshing to have a Spotlight that isn't weighed down by lengthy inner-dialogue... Just let the story speak for itself!

On a side note, the design for Blurr is fantastic! There's a little of TFA Blurr in the design, and it's pulled off nicely. And anyone else notice how his transport is very "Bulkhead" in appearance?

15. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I don't know that it completely ignores it, but much like AHM it makes one wonder how it fits in.

Other than that, I think it was a great issue.

16. Boy who screams

Boy who screams Banned

I would have cared if Megatron: Origins wasn't a complete piece of shit...

17. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Issue was pretty good, I was sad when Piston was shown dead. So far I'm enjoying Shane's writing more than Simon's. It's a lot more accessible to me. Also did anyone have issue with the printing on this issue? Lots of the pages are faded out on my copy. At first I thought it was for story effect, but then I noticed the letters were also faded along with some ads.

18. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Though to be fair, like AHM, Megatron: Origin wasn't written with Furman's continuity in mind, either, as it was originally a Dreamwave story.

Time to fact the cold hard facts dudes: IDW was fibbin' when they said McCarthy's stuff is in-continuity with Furman's stuff. The series has been rebooted and they simply did not wish to lose readers who spent the 2 and a half years buying IDW G1 comics only to see the storyline rebooted. Because, you know, that might cheese customers off.

19. Beastbot X

News Credits:
    I didn't like Origins much either, but that's besides the point. As a writer picking up on a series midway through, you do not ignore the stuff you don't like. It's part of the continuity now, and you respect what came before while still moving the story forward.

No, must have just been a printing issue with yours. Mine was fine.

20. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I have to take issue with the Casey Coller cover, the racing magazine version. I read running magazines and on the cover of most of them, the racer is actually, you know, in motion. :p