Spotlight Blaster Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Tim Formas, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Tim Formas

Tim Formas Old Man Administrator

News Credits:
    You all know the routine! This thread is for discussion of Spotlight: Blaster. Go pick up the issue, come back, and talk away!

Since this is a discussion on Spotlight: Blaster, people who have not read this issue yet should be aware that there are likely SPOILERS below. Read at your own risk.

2. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I will electro-scramble anyone who gets in my way on the drive to the comic shop to buy this!

3. Tim Formas

Tim Formas Old Man Administrator

News Credits:
    It was okay as far as Spotlights go, although the reward at the end was nice.

Blaster's long-winded speeches would lose me, but I did like Emiliano's art.

Spoilers ahead....

-Blaster is essentially the radio voice of the Autobots to keep up spirits during the war.
    -From an outpost, an assisination attempt was made on his life.
    -Injured body recovered by shipping vessel, returned to Autobots on base off of Cybertron.
    - Perceptor repaired him, found a blurred image of Blaster's assilant in video
    - On base, another attempt was made on his life.
    - They compared who was at the outpost back then and who was on the Cybertronian base. Inferno, Bluestreak, Beachcomber, and uh (can't remember off-hand) were the only four who were at both places at the time of attack.
    - Blaster stages a setup to uncover culprit.
    - It's Beachcomber
    - Beachcomber reveals he has a mind-control device implanted in him via Bombshell via Soundwave.
    - Beachcomber overcomes cerebro-shell, but it pretty much fries his mind.
    - Blaster vows the last voice Soundwave will hear will be his.

So....

The nice little ending was that it sets up the Blaster vs. Soundwave rivalry.
    Nice explanation of the Insecticons as well. They're mini-sized, much smaller than Soundwave and smaller than Beachcomber's head. Looks like the Insecticons themselves may never be much of a threat in the IDW-verse unless something happens that increases their size. Given how the IDW arcs progress however, I just expect them to continue to be a tool of Soundwave.

4. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    For some reason the store I go to didn't get this. They're a distributor too.

5. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

Kinda lame that the covers weren't 1:1 for this one, like oh, all the other issues. I liked the retailer incentive Milne cover enough to pony up $10.

[​IMG] cassette Bots FTW.

Pretty good story I thought. Ya knew poor hippie Beachcomber couldn't be the assassin without 'help'...nice way to inject a little Blaster vs. Soundwave rivalry into the story.

6. Locke

Locke Team Vanguard

News Credits:
    Blaster has never been one of my favorite characters, but I really liked this spotlight. First, this seemed like more of a self-contained story than some of the other spotlights, but the end was also a very nice set-up for future stories. If one of the purposes of the spotlights are to give new readers a 'jumping in' point, I think this formula will work well for that.

Most of all, I like seeing an aspect of the war that has been unexplored to this point (as far as I know). These little extra aspects like an Autobot morale booster really work to make this universe more believable than it would be if all we saw was fighting.

7. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I wanted the freakin Milne cover SO bad. Went to two shops and neither one had any.
    :***(

8. Dragonwolf

Dragonwolf dragon-bot

News Credits:
    i loved all the cameos, like fort max, tripticon, springer and the predicons.

and blasters alt mode looked alot like a tank with a sonic weapon.

great issue all the way around

9. DeceptiKreep

DeceptiKreep Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Got my hands on this issue tonight, surprisingly! Cannot wait to read it!

10. Ogami Daigoro

Ogami Daigoro Blue Lantern Bearer

Yeah, that RI cover looked really cool with the cassette-bots rockin' guitars!

11. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    wow sucks to be BC.

...he was a dirty hippie anyway.

12. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Maybe now, knowing that Soundwave wants to eliminate him, Blaster might pick up some backup in the form of his Mini-Cassette team. Seeing as how they were nowhere to be seen except on Alex's cover.

13. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    I thought it was a very good, self contained story.
    Art was beautiful with good story telling, it gave Blaster a good personality: a public and a private front as well as a function. As much as Soundwave is a narc for Megatron, Blaster is inspirational to the autobots. I also loved the cameos.

14. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

Blaster has always been a favorite character of mine. I am really loving these Spotlights and this has been one of my favorites so far. I love the idea of Blaster as "the voice" and how he motivates the troops and how he's able to talk Beachcomber around just using that motivational power of his alone. Now I am drooling with anticipation of the eventual Blaster vs. Soundwave battle to come.

Thank you IDW for another winner!

15. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Loved his alt-mode. The story was cool, as far as the assassination plot. I wish Blaster would have had a more important function than a glorified Robin Williams ala "Good Morning Vietnam." Intelligence officer, code-breaker or something.

16. Omega Supreme-1

Omega Supreme-1 Autobot Sentinel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So was the alt. cover with the rocking out Cassettebots a retailer incentive only cover? :/ By the time I got there, there was only 1 copy of the Blaster Spotlight, and it had a bend to it...I bought it anyway, since I was impatient about reading it

17. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just read it. Now this is great storytelling. Best Spotlight I've read in a while. Loved seeing all the cameos like perceptor, Bluestreak, Downshift, Trypticon, and on page 14, bottom left, I think I see my beloved Gears! Good work by the artist too.

18. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I really liked this story. It did a good job at fleshing out Blaster top to bottom. He's got his part to play in the war, but doesn't savor it.

Add in the great way of setting up his rivalry with Soundwave and it's a good show.

19. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

I only have nice things to say about this issue, like with most of IDW's work. However, the minute the "mystery man" showed up in silhouette, I knew immediately who it was. Darn thing about Transformers is that they have recognizable silhouettes. Only one character matched that outline.

20. Infosaur

Infosaur Well-Known Member

Heh it seemed like I could make out Beachcomber's colors in that "scrambled screen" too. HEY! I wonder if you can seem him clearly if you use a TechSpec decoder!?

Now THAT would be an impressive nod to G1! (too bad I haven't seen the little pieces of red celophane in years.)

As for the story? I give it a meh. I was kinda hopping for cassette bots.

Still the "Blaster the Propaganda Master", is a new angle for our favorite Yellow and Red bot. So what the heck. I'll give it :thumb