sports cards

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nic28, Aug 10, 2007.

1. nic28

nic28 warrior

wnat happened to the value of cards baseball football etc. i have over 10,000 cards i had back when i was a kid they are from the 80's to early 90's they are almost worlhless now i am trying to sell them i am taking a huge loss at 1,200 bucks obo for all cards i have them advertised in my area and no hits on them i just don't get it.

2. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    I have a ton of complete sets also baseball and hocky I wonder how much its all worth

3. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

The cards of that time period were entirely over-produced and never held much value to begin with.

Rookie card values of the biggest players of that era though have actually seen a slight increase as time has passed.

4. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

yup, I collected from about 86-91, have some factory sealed sets as well. they're MAYBE worth what I paid for them, which is almost nothing anyway. between those and my comics, which are from 94-97, I've got a lot of stuff that takes up space but isn't even worth trying to sell.

5. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    yup. comic/card collectors totally got jacked during the 90s. action figure collectors too.

6. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

Yea, cards were extremely hot and they just made way to many of them. A few are worth a bit here and there but overall, not much. Also, the time was when they started making super special cards for everything. All of it was garbage and just destroyed the industry. That's why cards cost $3 a pack and come with 6 cards.

7. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I remember when the only brands were Topps, Fleer, and Upper Deck. Then in 89 Bowman came back, Upper Deck premiered, and the brands just expanded into a thousand directions.

I still want the Jose Canseco rated rookie that they supposedly made fakes of...it can probably be bought for $3 now.

8. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    I remember trading a brett hull rookie card for a ton of creepy crawlers :D 

9. Toyzaremine

Toyzaremine Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Unfortunately most card collectors like myself kept their cards in good conditon and never threw them away like our 1950's-60's counterparts did. Since there is overwhelming supply, there is little to no demand anymore for these. But the cards produced prior to the 1970's especially 50's-60's and before have skyrocketed, especially sealed items. Yes you cna still find unopened packs/boxes of topps from the 1950's. I've thought about collecting these, but way too expensive.

10. Malach Ra

Malach Ra TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    subsets ruined the market big time. stopped collecting those early.

11. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

I still buy cards, but only if they're autographed (see my collection thread for pics).

Those are still very popular, and in a large respect define the hobby now.

12. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

Like a lot of people, my dad got really into sports cards (specifically basketball) as an investment back in the early 90's. Big mistake. He's got literally tens of thousands of cards sitting in his basement. Most of them are almost worthless, even the ones that used to be worth a lot at the time, and there are so many of them it's an incredibly daunting task to think about cataloging everything and tryinig to sell it. We've tried a couple of times over the years to get started, but we never make it very far. I hate to think about how much he spent thinking he'd make money versus how much he can get out of them now. The only really good thing he did was go back and pick up some older stuff as well, things from before the explosion of the market in the late 80's/early 90's, so he's got that at least.

13. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Yeah thats the thing about today's sports cards...sell while they're hot! Goes to look at all my now worthless Frank Thomas rookie cards. The big hurt is right...

14. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

hey man, you forgot donruss and score ;) 

remember the billy ripkin "fuck face" card?