Sport games

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by seeker311, Jun 16, 2008.

1. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Just curious, from a consumer perceptive, do you think its dumb to buy a new sport video game every year? Like getting every NBA Live game and such? I usually get a new sport game every 5 years becuase by then, theres a new roster for my favorite team. I just dont see the sense in getting one every year if there are minor tweeks here and there, but yet Im sure they sell well. So any thoughts?

2. e3nine

e3nine I have a large MISB collection.

News Credits:
    I tend to buy a sports game only after a successful run by my home team the previous year.

There really isn't much to a Madden 08 vs Madden 09 except updated stats and player information. The game's engine and graphics are nearly identical.

3. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

I don't like sports games since I can just go outside and get my neighbors to play some football or something, but it's pretty stupid if you buy sports games every year. There are rarely any major changes in the game, so there's no point unless a groundbreaking feature is created

4. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

Don't usually buy them until they are cheap ($15 or under)... and thats if I buy them at all. Certainly not every year, but sometimes you need to throw some touchdowns or make a slap shot or two... then I usually rent or borrow.

But no, the sports games usually don't make big improvements from year to year... not enough to warrant having every Madden game from the last 7 years or more.

5. Dirge121

Dirge121 I'll be your end of days

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    I despise Sports games, if only because they clog almost every available space on the pre-owned shelves in local game shops.
    Even marked down to about £2.99 nobody wants them.
    Fifa's long-milked, horse-beating series is the worst offender around here.

6. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    if there is a big, new feature, sure. last sports game i got was NCAA Football 08.
    and i won't get any professional sports games except for hockey.
    seems like Madden teaches you babysitting fundamentals with all this morale and stuff. but i did like the feature of taking a NCAA football player and after he graduated, having him drafted and playing as a Madden player.

other reasons why i hate sports games-
    memory hogs. if i didn't have my codebreaker, i would either no space for games or extra memory cards to lose.

i suck- i get pwned by crippled kids missing digits. seriously, i got hammered playing Triple Play 97 and that was the last baseball game i bought, traded in my basketball games immediately because i spent more time staring at the controller than watching my friends dunk on me.

racing games are pretty, but then what? i think some of them, the car companies are so vain that they won't let the developers put in real damage physics or something. and is it me, but doncha think that the only way to really enjoy GT IV id sitting about 2 feet from a 75 inch plasma with the dashboard view? anything else seems less thrilling.

they are a rip off- with FPS games, they may say it uses the Quake engine or the Halo engine, but in the end, you get a new damn game and puzzles and story. sports games change so very little that you can't tell.

worst rip off ever was the first Madden game for the 360. huge honking disc with all that space on it, and yet the game lacked modes that were offered on the PS2 and looked like a clone of the previous madden game.
    sorry guys, but if ya bought that one, you were really desperate for a game or someone stole your xbox copy of madden 04.

7. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

Wow, a lot of bitter tears in this thread for no real reason :/

8. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

pro evo rules, that is all.

9. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Camaro Club! Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    When I got my PS3 at lauch that was all there was basically so I have Fight Night 3, Tiger Woods, Madden, and Nascar. I have not bought a sports game since maybe in 2 or 3 more years I will be updated versions. But they have taken away so many of the features/options from the last generations that it's a rip off. When they get done handing us little updates every year I will come back. I think the lack of competition ruined this genre for me.