Spore (as well as the PC edition of Mass Effect) to use SecuROM

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by NGW, May 8, 2008.

1. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

Well, I think the rising cost of games over the years is probably a large part of why people pirate. Some people are just too damn cheap. I know this guy that back in the PS1 and 2 days never bought legit copies of games. He had his consoles modded and had like albums full of unlegit games. His reasoning was that games were just too damned expensive.

Nowadays he has a 360 and I think is actually buying legit copies now, since as far as I know the 360 can't be pirated. Either that or because he has a job now.

2. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

"games are to expensive" is a crap excuse. remember back in the nes/snes days? remember the cost of really good games? some games in regular stores would be close to $100 if they were popular enough. there is no rising cost of games. i remember seeing street fighter 2 and super mario bros 3 at $99 at k-mart when i was a kid. there was no real "standard" price point, and there was no easy way to pirate the games back then either. you either rented them, kept your fingers crossed for a birthday, saved your allowance, or played one of the games you already owned. that was it. i have no pity at all for people who use "the cost of games" as an excuse.

3. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    If there is no rising cost of games how come new releases for the Xbox360 and PS3 are all 110 bucks?

I agree piracy is rife and a pain in the arse, but as a PAYING customer, I resent them treating me like I'm guilty but they can't prove it.

4. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Buttstuff Werewolf

News Credits:
    I remember when I purchased Jurassic Park for the SNES it cost $99.99 plus taxes; came to over $115. Same with Earthbound and Maximum Carnage.

I'm glad they're reversing their stand on these two games because Spore was going to be my First PC game, ever. haha

5. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

i dunno about australia, but here in canada video games are at about the cheapest that i've ever seen them.

6. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    In the fabulous land down under, pretty much any new game for a 360, PS3 or a Wii will cost you 110 or so. It's also why my PS3 cost me 700 dollars for the 40gb model and a 60gb model would have cost me 1000 dollars.

You might be getting cheap games and electronics chum, but not all of us.

N.B. the above is not an excuse for piracy.